Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Toyota owner for a long long time. I also own some GM cars. I am in market for a big size truck. I narrowed this down to either the 6.2 l Silverado or the F150 Fx4 or Tundra. The 6.2l silverados are extremely hard to find. The Fx4 seems to be a good truck. I love Toyotas, but my issues with the Tundra are the lack of locking differential and lots of reports of the truck bed sheet metal being flimsy. My issues with the f150 is the low power of the 5.4 engine (as compared to Tundra).

My garage has Toyotas and GMs. The current safety recalls do not scare me one bit. I do not have any brand loyalty. I just want to drive what is best for me. Keep in mind, I have NEVER had issues with any cars (except Dodge). I have driven both GMs and Toyotas to over 200,000 with no rattlings or issues. Never owned a Ford.

How many here would own the new 2010 F150 Fx4?

(Notice, I am not trolling, I have been a member since 2003 - and this is the first time I am actually getting a truck for myself and not my company - but still used to do company work).

Here is what the truck will be used for:

Driving through muddy roads, specifically scoping areas to bury fiber. All these installations are in the middle of nowhere, small towns. Maybe not that many toyota dealers if something goes wrong.

Hauling spools of fiber. Towing earth moving equipment.

This truck will be beaten up.

Any suggestions would be good

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'd say get the Ford. Power is all relative. I like the power of my truck but how often do you go about hot rodding it? Don't get me wrong, I'm a power junky as much as I am an off-road junky, but the Ford will have the power - even if does take twice as long to get there (not saying it will).

Try to get one with the 4x4 on the floor so it'll be most reliable (you will have to buy a SD to get one with leather).

If you do go with the Chevy, you might want to stay away from the 6.2 as it drinks premium gas. I would probably buy a 5.3 chevy and then a 6.0 b/c the 5.3 has been around since just after the days of the 350 small block and is tried and true. Again, it might not be the fastest, but it'll work every day of the year.

Just like Ford and GM, the new Tundras are having small quirky issues - radio, dash, tailgate, front differential, etc. It is not as clear cut as it would be if the '07+ Tundra had been released with the quality of the Land Cruiser, old Tundra, or old 4runner - typical Toyota quality.

If you want speed - buy Toyota. I would say teh best all around on the pavement truck would be the Tundra, but the older ('97-03) Fords will be a beast in the mud and such.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
F150 vs. Tundra. Tundra is a no brainer in my opinion(Power, Durability). F250 diesel and Tundra. Well, as price goes, Tundra, but if you are going to put tons of miles on it, you might be better off with the diesel? Most of the 6.2L GM products I have seen have been in the $50,000 range(that were on the lot). So as far as what is the best value? IMO the Tundra is the best value on the market.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wait till the F150 gets the 2011 MUSTANG 5.0 LITER DIRECT INJECT 420HP motor in 2012.

If you can wait that long.

IF NOT TEST DRIVE BOTH AN DECIDE ON ONE.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't speak to power or other technical issues (like mud ability), but I can say that every Toyota I've ever owned has been easy to maintain with few, if any mechanical problems. My wife's 2001 RAV4 just keeps plugging along (all we do is change the oil) and my 2005 Tundra has been equally reliable. I owned a Ford Ranger for many years - -a great little truck, but stuff broke on that (alternators, ball joints) that never went on the Toyotas. I'm still a big fan of Toyota.

·
Registered
513 Posts
even if there is a ford dealer in the tiny town your in will they have the part for the truck? when the headlight switch burnt out on my moms grand marque the local (large) ford parts department told me to go to car quest, "it's a common problem they'll order you the part" if your going to beat the crap out of it get whatever is cheaper and replace it sooner

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I came from ford. I took my 9K toyhauler into both the ford and toyota dealers and they both let me tow the trailer on the test drive, GM wouldnt so wasnt going to by a Silverado. But long story short the tundra just tow's better, anyone that has ever pulled a trailer with both trucks will tell you the tundra's better, its not opinon, thats simply the way it is.

And look at your other thread you started i posted a video that may help you decide to keep clear of GM, it a real traction control test. The ford can tow the weight but i had to floor the F-150 to get it moving quickly, the tundra you could forget the trailers back there, and i use my truck for work too, i lean against the side of the truck all the time, as long as you dont punch the thing you got nothing to worry about.

Even motor trend said if you haul or tow something with the F-150 your sure to be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If you do go with the Chevy, you might want to stay away from the 6.2 as it drinks premium gas. I would probably buy a 5.3 chevy and then a 6.0 b/c the 5.3 has been around since just after the days of the 350 small block and is tried and true. Again, it might not be the fastest, but it'll work every day of the year.

-rockstate

just an FYI:

All GM small blocks from 4.8 to 7.0L are built on the same architecture. (think 221, 255, 260, 289, 302, 351 Ford)

There are different block materials and of course bore/stroke are different but they are all LS motors.

I don't think you're gonna find one is any more/less reliable than the other(s)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, you guys swayed me. I will be talking to my Toyota sales guy.

side bar question. When in 4hi on tundra, can I engage rear differentials?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well, you guys swayed me. I will be talking to my Toyota sales guy.

side bar question. When in 4hi on tundra, can I engage rear differentials?
It is a good truck, really, 3 years and im very happy with it. When in 4hi I think the LSD is on, i say this because ive never had just one rear wheel spin and the other stay still in 4x4 even when one of the back ones was off the ground while doing some serious off roading the one that was on the ground still spun on some loose dirt. But drive it for your self. Bc all this talk is just... :blah: Haha :tu:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am another that will have to weigh-in on the Ford bandwagon. My last truck was a 2002 F150...one of the best riding most reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. I bought it with 106K miles on it I rode it to it's grave with 160K. I am alive today because of the construction of that truck. I was t-boned driving 60 mph, did a head over heals flip down a 15 foot embankment, rolled 3 1/2 times, totaled the truck and walked away without a scratch! Helluva truck....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a good truck, really, 3 years and im very happy with it. When in 4hi I think the LSD is on, i say this because ive never had just one rear wheel spin and the other stay still in 4x4 even when one of the back ones was off the ground while doing some serious off roading the one that was on the ground still spun on some loose dirt. But drive it for your self. Bc all this talk is just... :blah: Haha :tu:
See that is what I needed to know. Lots of misinformation out there. People say Tundra is open differential, and I did not believe it because even my 4runner was not. This is good info THANKS A MILLION!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I can't really attest to major off-roading with the Tundra, or major pulling, since I haven't really done any in the last couple years. The last Ford I owned was the 2004 F-150 with the 5.4. It was ok, but I compare it to buying Frozen pizza compared with (insert your favorite local pizza place here... :) )... sure, they're both pizza, but one tastes a Helluva lot better!

I'm really not concerned with Toyota's "reliability" issues. I never had any problems with my '07 Tundra, and so far, no problems with my '10 either. They both drove strong & were reliable each & every day. Oh, and if anything breaks, take it back & have your warranty cover it. Better yet, spend the extra $1000 or so, and buy the Platinum warranty (Check with TS member HandyToyota). When I picked up my '10, I negotiated the Platinum warranty ($0 deductable, 8 yrs, 75000 miles, bumper-to-bumper plus perks) for $920. So, if anything breaks on my truck, I'm really not too concerned about it.

My '04 F-150 was reliable too. But, it wasn't as comfortable, wasn't as strong, started getting "noisy" as in, it just seemed like it would fall apart within the next few years... And, I know lots of guys on here complaint about the paint of our Tundras, but the black paint on my '04 F-150 got dull very fast. I always kept it clean, and waxed it about twice a year, but it looked as if it would need a buff out soon.

I DO think that the newer F-150's are a step-up from the previous ones. But, I still feel the Tundra is better overall. And, I'd like to see what Ford's new 6.2L will do, but at the same time, you'll probably pay a big premium to have that engine, if you can even get it in the package you want.... bottom line, you probably wouldn't want the first year run of them anyhow.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Those are the biggest POS trucks ford ever made.

there are fing death traps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5EmJBaGeQ

Never mind fugly and under powered.
Yeah, I've seen the crash tests on 'em. Our '99 t-boned an illegal alien who couldn't read the "stop sign" going about 35 and we had a knocked out headlight, messed up bumper, adn a whole bunch of scratches on the hood. the frame was tweaked a bit but the only thing keeping us from driving it home was the bumper being into the tire at a left turn.

her car was about 2/3 the original size. thankfully there was no passenger.

I'm not arguing the facts with you on that video, but that's my experience with the safety of an Expedition (granted more roofline strcuture, B pillar, etc.

-rockstate

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wait till the F150 gets the 2011 MUSTANG 5.0 LITER DIRECT INJECT 420HP motor in 2012.

If you can wait that long.

IF NOT TEST DRIVE BOTH AN DECIDE ON ONE.

I assure you that the 5.0 for truck duty will not have near those numbers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts