Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels are starting to pit, dealer told a friend of mine it was because of sand ?? Has anyone else noticed their aluminum factory wheels starting to look like this? PS. it's not dirt, it won't just wash off.

Any proposed cure, or should I just have posted this on the "whining, crying, complaining" thread in off topic?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you try a clay bar, it has helped me in the past?

Ask Brandon1 in the detailing forum (section) he would probably know what it is and how to handle it. I thought I saw a few picture, before and after, where he had fixed someone wheels that had that same look. In any event, he might be able to tell you what to avoid to stop any further damage.

Plus, I want to know so I can prevent it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if u off road or at least go down semi unpaved roads all the time i can see that happening.... the finish isnt as tough as one would think....i got stuck right after i got my truck and buried the rim and it messed up the finish on the face where it was spinning in the dirt/rocks.... our benz has "rock chips" on some of the spokes (they are oddly shaped and actually stick out a bit) from just road debris.....but back to you, i think its from deep sand or dirt damaging them or perhaps just a crappy wheel. :)

·
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if u off road or at least go down semi unpaved roads all the time i can see that happening.... the finish isnt as tough as one would think....i got stuck right after i got my truck and buried the rim and it messed up the finish on the face where it was spinning in the dirt/rocks.... our benz has "rock chips" on some of the spokes (they are oddly shaped and actually stick out a bit) from just road debris.....but back to you, i think its from deep sand or dirt damaging them or perhaps just a crappy wheel. :)
I suspect you are right, I've been off road, seen more than my share of gravel, rocks and sand. Maybe it's unavoidable, but I'll check out the "detailing" forum and see if I can make it look better. It is a truck after all, and if I wanted to preserve it in showroom condition, I'd need to keep it in a showroom.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There are wheel restorers that can repair flaws like that or even worse, such as minor curb damage etc. They actually spin the rim on a lathe and resurface it to restore the machined finish, then reapply the clearcoat. Check with a local Toyota dealer to see who they use for this service.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
There are wheel restorers that can repair flaws like that or even worse, such as minor curb damage etc. They actually spin the rim on a lathe and resurface it to restore the machined finish, then reapply the clearcoat. Check with a local Toyota dealer to see who they use for this service.
actually look in the yellowpages or google....avoid the middle man...alot of discount tire places can point u in the right direction too.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had my trd 22s replaced under warranty. The finish was coming off on all four wheels!! I'm not sure if this my be happening to yours

·
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, mine just have some small pitting areas on the outside finish of the wheels. I've got the TRD 18" wheels, designed for offroad use presumably but not up to the rigors of actual sand or rocks. I think it's pretty much cosmetic, superficial stuff, and I already know what the dealer is going to say. Well, maybe I'll ask them, just for laughs. I'll post their response here. I've got the 6yr / 100,000 mile warranty so I've got 4 more years or 58,000 miles left whichever comes first !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts