Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Factory CD player problem

21K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  JaredFalls44 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Sequoia with the factory 6-disc cd changer. I think that one of the CDs is stuck, I can't load or eject any CDs and the light for disc #5 blinks the whole time the car is on. I can't get any of the CD's to play either. I went to my local car audio store and they told me that I'm going to have to replace it, but I don't really trust them. Has this happened to anyone else?

#2 ·
tlbryan33 said:
I have a 2002 Sequoia with the factory 6-disc cd changer. I think that one of the CDs is stuck, I can't load or eject any CDs and the light for disc #5 blinks the whole time the car is on. I can't get any of the CD's to play either. I went to my local car audio store and they told me that I'm going to have to replace it, but I don't really trust them. Has this happened to anyone else?
Do a search...you'll find that it's not all that uncommon a problem...and will see the various solutions others have come up with. Tends to happen more often with burned CDs than with manufactured CDs.

For future reference, please use the search feature before posting any question...you'll get your answers a whole lot faster! :D

#4 ·
Try unplugging the radio, wait 1 minute, then plug it back in, This USUALLY resets the radio and ejects any stuck CD's. If that doesnt work, the radio can be sent in and repaired, Or Check in the Audio section , there are many people who have replaced their radios with must better units at a relatively inexpensive price.

#5 ·
This happened in my wifes MDX when I used a burned CD with a label! Most indash changers can't handle the thick label.

Not sure if this is the problem, but good FYI.

- Matt

#6 ·
If its under warranty have it replaced, might lose your cds though, If out of waranty buy new deck, at least thats what I did..

#9 ·
Ok,
I've realized that I'm probably going to have to replace the head unit, but I don't want to get an aftermarket one. I have the JBL system do you guys know if that means that I'm going to have to get a JBL head unit or does it not matter as long as it is a toyota one? I've found one on ebay for a tundra that I am thinking about buying, but I don't know if it will affect my speakers since it is not a JBL.

#11 ·
Man, that happened on my 2002 Tundra w/ 6 disc changer. I don't use burned CDs, though. All six in the changer were regular, store purchased, CDs. They replaced the unit under warranty. The defective unit was shipped back to Torrance, where my CDs were taken out and sent back to the dealer for me. One of them (of course my favorite) was cracked slightly right at the hole and they stuck a note to it asking that it not be reloaded into the changer. I'm not sure if the crack was the cause of the problem, or was a result. Toyota wasn't saying. The CD plays fine in my home stereo, though.

There's a thread somewhere for people to b!tch about any warranty work they had done. You might find others with this problem there.

#13 ·
With the standard factory warranty, either of 3 years or 36,000 miles.

#14 ·
Well thanks for the heads up folks.. So' the 6 disc players are troubling lil' sh!^s?....lol
I never put my original CD's in vehicles so I only run burnt discs there, besides getting scratched from kids handling them more, I'm not losing anything that's not easily replaced to any thief again. Already been there once with my old truck, never goin there again!!
I never had a cd get stuck in a player yet but I don't use labels, just sharpie them. My home systems over 20 yrs old now still plays everything perfect, its a JVC cartridge stack and our vehicles always had single cd but I have seen other folks players do it though over the yrs. When I pulled the wife's old Camry aftermarket Kenwood out a CD fell out from the top of it. Someone slid one in too high and lost it..lol Was not ours, purely a country bumpkin CD not Rock n Roll so it was there when we bought it no doubt.
My truck CD player finally wore out so it needs a different head unit and I always thought if it died I'd stick a 6 in but guess I won't be now. Appreciate the heads up, may be a good unit, just not for me though. Think I'll get a Japanese Scion/Toyota Pioneer version since they are pretty reliable or so I've read on the site.
Thanks again!

#15 ·
That is the fate of all CD players unfortunately... But disc changers are the worst for it. That is why they kinda phased out of most cars. If you take the whole unit out you may have some luck with a screwdriver, it'll probably break the cd player(even though it is already broke, so it doesnt matter) but you may get your cd back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.