Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have A 2005 DC LTD that has the factory tow package and hitch on it. I got rear ended pretty much dead centre. The car rapped around the hitch and did major damage to the bumper. The truck goes in on friday for repairs. My question is: should the hitch automaticly be replaced (worried about damaged welds, etc.) and should I replace with another factory hitch or aftermarket. I do tow a 6,000lbs. 27ft trailer in the summer.
Anybody else had this problem??!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
they can take alot of abuse. but if any part of it appears damaged, make them replace it. cite the reason why- the trailer you tow- and demand the same factory replacement. do not let them repair it. heating it to bend it back or just bending and repairing will weaken it. if they balk, then talk to trailer hitch manufacturers and get it from them in writing that for liabilty and safety anytime a hitch is damaged it needs to be replaced. i doubt u will have an issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I too would demand a replacement and not allow any attempt to repair. I have used and have no complaints from aftermarket hitches (U-haul, Drawtite, etc...).

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Force them to get the new one. You are towing big and heavy load. Do YOU wanna be liable if it breaks, trailer gets loose and kill's (god forbid) someone??? Ask yourself that question. Do you wanna have that on your mind for as long as you keep towing anything if its strong enough after the collision? Its bad enough that your truck will have accident on carfax (some buyers look it up(i did every single one)) so your truck is less valuable than before the accident already. Dont suck it up - they are basically taking money out of YOUR pocket aka stealing YOUR money. I know i'd fight them till i'd bleed.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Its in body shops interest to charge insurance for new hitch and convince you they'll fix your's, so they have money for beer and pizza. Thats very likely scenario. Keep an eye on it or they being body shop can fix old one, repaint it and put it on your truck. They are pros at hiding crappy areas and making them look good. Thats being paranoid, but everyone out there is to screw you. Remember that and good luck.

I say so, because i've dealt with some vehicles that were bought on Copart. They have a team of SOB dedicated to fix up vehicles to increase value. A friend of mine bought BMW 545i that looked really good. Just to find out later that the car has been rolled over and really f*** up and then fixed up to smash the front a little to get insurance money. He lost his money on that one.It looks good from pics, but when you discover 1/2" putty on fenders that you become educated a little more next time.
The lesson is - everyone, literally everyone is there so screw you - wifes, government, banks, nature, you name it :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts