Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 sequoia with the factory JBL amp. I replaced both front door speakers with Alpine 6.5's 5 years ago when I bought it. Last year the factory amp blew out and stopped working. I found one on ebay and replaced it and it worked for a few weeks then that one also blew and I was just pissed off. I noticed the area in front of the cup holders was hot after the amp blew, which coincidentally is also where the amp is located. I popped the cover off and the amp was hot so I just unplugged it and have been driving with no stereo for several months.

I decided to tear into it today and see if I could figure out what was wrong. I took off the passenger door panel and the positive speaker wire had come off the 6.5 speaker. If that had hit the door and grounded out would that cause enough of a power draw to blow the amp? That is my working hypothesis, but I wanted to see what other ideas everyone might have. Thanks.

· Registered
6,453 Posts
I've got a 2005 sequoia with the factory JBL amp. I replaced both front door speakers with Alpine 6.5's 5 years ago when I bought it. Last year the factory amp blew out and stopped working. I found one on ebay and replaced it and it worked for a few weeks then that one also blew and I was just pissed off. I noticed the area in front of the cup holders was hot after the amp blew, which coincidentally is also where the amp is located. I popped the cover off and the amp was hot so I just unplugged it and have been driving with no stereo for several months.

I decided to tear into it today and see if I could figure out what was wrong. I took off the passenger door panel and the positive speaker wire had come off the 6.5 speaker. If that had hit the door and grounded out would that cause enough of a power draw to blow the amp? That is my working hypothesis, but I wanted to see what other ideas everyone might have. Thanks.
If the Alpines aren’t lower impedance than the original speaker it’s replacing, the short hypothesis sounds reasonable. If you’re gung ho about using factory only parts, make sure your next JBL amp doesn’t overheat and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkw

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used those speakers for several years before the amp blew. I didn't check the impedance of the original speakers, although I probably should have. Thanks for the input.

I'm definitely not gung ho about using factory only parts, it just seems like the path of least resistance. I did buy a $30 ebay stereo and a wiring harness adapter to just plug it in and try and see if things work. I wouldn't mind using a newer stereo at all, but it seems the factory stereo is integrated into everything. If possible I'd like to keep the factory entertainment DVD system. Makes long trips with little kids much easier.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who knows? I would think the fuses probably protect from too much power being fed into the system, but maybe not from overheating. It's normally 110*+ here in the summer. I've got an amp ordered and new 2 ohm door speakers. I'll update this once I get everything installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts