Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've meant to get pictures up sooner but work has been kinda crazy. Nevertheless, I got my truck finished up this past Friday and now have a Regular Cab with factory NAV and a leather wrapped steering wheel with functioning controls. It's awesome!!! :D

Here are a few pics of "before" when it was torn apart and of course after when it was all put together. I have to say, I love it. Not sure why so many people are unhappy with the factory NAV system. It does more than enough for me. I'm still learning it as I go. I was able to sync my blackberry storm 2 to it, so bluetooth is now cool!

I had the GPS antenna placed in the far right corner of the dash--two sided tape (picture included), for improved reception, or at least that's a recommendation I received and I guess it works better. No issues with reception here in the mountains where I live. I also added a microphone, installed on the drivers A pillar--two sided tape, (picture included) and it works great for incoming calls as I just press the answer key on the wheel and talk away, all while my phone remains in my pocket. I can also see who is calling on the NAV display. The amp is under the passenger seat as it was easier to put it there and not visible anyway.

Here's the link that started it all for me so thanks to MarkJ for getting me going: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/164603-add-steering-wheel-audio-controls-diy/

BTW: I did not install this myself. I took it to my local dealer who has been a tremendous help to me, along with other TS members. If not for you folks, I would not have power fold mirrors, optitron gauges, corsa sport exhaust, volant air intake, fully functional MPG display etc..... I would however have a bit more money......Can I get an :amen: But it's been worth it to have a regular cab with mostly limited options. Thanks!!

Oh, and one question. The only thing that throws me off with the NAV system is when going South everything looks backwards on the display. I wish I could reverse it so it would look like I was going North or the same direction as I was traveling. Can that be changed?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops forgot this picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I've meant to get pictures up sooner but work has been kinda crazy. Nevertheless, I got my truck finished up this past Friday and now have a Regular Cab with factory NAV and a leather wrapped steering wheel with functioning controls. It's awesome!!! :D

Here are a few pics of "before" when it was torn apart and of course after when it was all put together. I have to say, I love it. Not sure why so many people are unhappy with the factory NAV system. It does more than enough for me. I'm still learning it as I go. I was able to sync my blackberry storm 2 to it, so bluetooth is now cool!

I had the GPS antenna placed in the far right corner of the dash--two sided tape (picture included), for improved reception, or at least that's a recommendation I received and I guess it works better. No issues with reception here in the mountains where I live. I also added a microphone, installed on the drivers A pillar--two sided tape, (picture included) and it works great for incoming calls as I just press the answer key on the wheel and talk away, all while my phone remains in my pocket. I can also see who is calling on the NAV display. The amp is under the passenger seat as it was easier to put it there and not visible anyway.

Here's the link that started it all for me so thanks to MarkJ for getting me going: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/164603-add-steering-wheel-audio-controls-diy/

BTW: I did not install this myself. I took it to my local dealer who has been a tremendous help to me, along with other TS members. If not for you folks, I would not have power fold mirrors, optitron gauges, corsa sport exhaust, volant air intake, fully functional MPG display etc..... I would however have a bit more money......Can I get an :amen: But it's been worth it to have a regular cab with mostly limited options. Thanks!!

Oh, and one question. The only thing that throws me off with the NAV system is when going South everything looks backwards on the display. I wish I could reverse it so it would look like I was going North or the same direction as I was traveling. Can that be changed?
Yes, to convert to north all the time just touch the compass icon upper left of the screen and it should convert for you...

brad

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
IMO the GPS antenna shouldnt be on the dash, i dislike any antenna mounted inside the cab whether its a GPS or sat radio ant. they belong on the roof but as long as it works for ya. and the surface mounted mic for the BT...really should be in the overhead console where the stock one would be, the slots are there already....just to make it look even more factory installed but oh well. glad u are getting those features you want in a RC...thats awesome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great to see a Tundra Grade become a Limited Grade with a little help from some friends!!

As for the BT I like to location you have mounted it and with the location of your GPS antena, if 90% of drivers using a portable windshield mounted GPS how many get lost due to it being mounted inside the vehicle? I do understand the thought process on why the antennas should be outside but if ya don't like drilling holes mount it where you want.

The BT mic should have been mounted in the pillar. I have had too many people tell me I sound distant like I am in the backseat and not the one on the phone. I think the overhead console is too far back where the pillar is in front of the driver.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out and even more happy that I was able to help if just a little. I got so much help from so many on this forum and a ton of help with adding the steering wheel controls that I'm glad I could give back a little. I think the 2010 grille is next up for me and I'll have to pick your brain on your gages.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for sharing the success with this!. I want to follow in your foot steps and do the exact same mods!.

I am so jealous at looking at your steering wheel with the audio controls, etc. Thats one of the mods I really want to do but I have had difficulty in finding the airbag cover for the steering wheel w/Audio controls. Doh!.

Did you purchase yours new or have any advice on where I could find one? MarkJ suggested I could cut my stock one but I would slaughter something like that and it would look horrible. lol.

I understand we can use our stock steering wheel and just purchase the audio buttons. its that pesky AB Cover thats kicking my butt right now.

I may PM you SM about some of this down the road if you don't mind.

Thanks and Congrats on a job well done!

B.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice work!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Nice job man, looks killer.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nice work.

Where did you buy the steering wheel leather cover? I already have on my tundra... but would like to purchase one for my Highlander. I was thinking to get the WheelSkins brand... but want the factory look.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!! I've truly received more from this site than I can ever give back.

This is truly a great addition. I bought the air bag cover new from parts.com. Best price by far I could find--expensive but my truck is the only bad habit I have or at least that I'll admit to on here.....:D Now for a power driver's seat. Here's the info on the bag:

Restraint systems, Air bag components, Driver air bag, Brown 1 $498.71

If you have the dark brown wheel, I have an extra set of the audio controls. I didn't realize that when I ordered the leather wrapped steering wheel, that it would come with the audio controls, so I ordered the audio controls separately. I've contacted them about returning but have not had any luck so if you can use dark brown let me know.

Thanks for sharing the success with this!. I want to follow in your foot steps and do the exact same mods!.

I am so jealous at looking at your steering wheel with the audio controls, etc. Thats one of the mods I really want to do but I have had difficulty in finding the airbag cover for the steering wheel w/Audio controls. Doh!.

Did you purchase yours new or have any advice on where I could find one? MarkJ suggested I could cut my stock one but I would slaughter something like that and it would look horrible. lol.

I understand we can use our stock steering wheel and just purchase the audio buttons. its that pesky AB Cover thats kicking my butt right now.

I may PM you SM about some of this down the road if you don't mind.

Thanks and Congrats on a job well done!

B.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Looks good man! Glad you like it!
I am the same way works excellent for me!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm also doing the non-JBL to JBL head unit upgrade (non-naviagtion). I have the amp, head unit, leather wrapped steering wheel, audio switches and several PDF files containing the installation instructions. The one PDF file that Sweet Mercy posted was VERY helpful. It lists the necessary wiring harnesses and other components but has NO part numbers. When I call my local Toyota dealer he has no idea what I'm talking about (even sent the document in an email attachment).

My question for Sweet Mercy is this: If you had this done at a dealership, do you still have the repair order showing what was done and parts installed, if so, would you mind listing the part numbers on here for the upgrade wiring harnesses, shielded wire harness, aux/steering wheel harness, mic amplifier (for bluetooth) and any other parts. Could you have mounted the microphone & amplifier in the overhead console instead of the A pillar?

***The part numbers I have are CANADIAN! Called a dealer up there and he knew exactly what I needed, seems they get alot of calls from people in the states looking for these parts. If I had US part numbers I could probably find a cheaper source***

I'm also doing the MPG/trip computer mod. One thing, did you need to replace the accessory meter or would the stock one have worked? I have a regular cab 5.7V8 deluxe with the SR5 option. One last question, the PDF file for the Non-JBL navigation head unit update makes reference to the use of "electro-taps" on a couple of the wiring steps. How does this work?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
272 Posts
[Oh, and one question. The only thing that throws me off with the NAV system is when going South everything looks backwards on the display. I wish I could reverse it so it would look like I was going North or the same direction as I was traveling. Can that be changed?[/QUOTE]

The map screen can show north up or heading up. The factory default is north up. To change it, touch the orientation symbol at the top left of the screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts