Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Factory Rear Seat Entertainment With After Market Navagation???

36K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  drl28 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Sequoia with the factory Rear Seat Entertainment System. I decided against the factory Nav for many reasons and went with the pioneer Avic 1 Navagation system. My problem is that my Rear Seat Entertainment System no longer works. I new it would not work with the speakers in my doors but I thought for sure it would work with the headphones. But I cant even get a picture on the screen or the screen to even power up. The factory DVD player powers up as soon as I feed a DVD into it, but no picture. Does anyone know how i can get my factory screen to power up without installing the factory head unit somewhere in the truck? I would love to have it work with the factory headphones. I happen to have a (2005 TOYOYTA SEQUOIA ELECTRICAL WIREING DIAGRAM BOOK) but i still can't figure it out and I don't want to put the factory head unit somewhere in the truck.
PLEASE HELP, :cry: :confused: :confused: there has to be someone out there that figured it out by now...LOL..... Thanks, John :)

#3 ·
I had an AVIC-Z1 installed in my 2006 Tundra today and experienced the same problem. Power to the DVD player, but no picture or anything on the rear screen. The stereo place is looking into it. I will post if they figure it out. If anyone has found a solution, I would love to hear it. I had better get this fixed soon, so my wife does not go crazy listening to my son asking for Little Einsteins.

#4 ·
It can be done but you have to mount the stock head unit in a hide away location. There has to be a better way because the stock head unit only needs to be connected to get the rear monitor to turn on and once it's turned on you can disconnect the stock head unit and the screen will stay powered up until you shut the truck off the next time. Someone with alot of time on their hands needs to figure out what needs to be jumped out or powered up on the stock head unit plugs. If someone figures it out PLEASE post their findings. But until then I will be happy with my two headrest screens, Just click on my pictures to check them out. Johnnny

#7 ·
Got it to work.

They dismantled the factory JBL and installed parts of it between the aftermarket navigation and the dvd

All that was left of the factory head unit was the outer shell.

It took six hours of work to do this.

I guess you have to get an installer who is sophisticated enough to do this.

This was done by Progressive Audio in San Diego. The guy that knows how to do it is Chuck.

#8 ·
Jedirun said:
Got it to work.

They dismantled the factory JBL and installed parts of it between the aftermarket navigation and the dvd

All that was left of the factory head unit was the outer shell.

It took six hours of work to do this.

I guess you have to get an installer who is sophisticated enough to do this.

This was done by Progressive Audio in San Diego. The guy that knows how to do it is Chuck.
So your telling me there is NO other way of getting the factory rear screen to work with an aftermarket dvd/navi unit?:eek: I'm guessing it was expensive to have someone do all the work you mentioned. So even if you hook up the rear factory screen to the aftermarkets dvd/navi aux imput, it still won't work?:confused:

#9 ·
No it still won't work because the rear screen will not even get power. It gets a signal from the factory head unit to turn on. Everything in the car is connected digitally. I think that a cheaper, easier way to do it would be to relpace the rear screen with a normal one and run it off the DVD drive in the aftermarket Nav.

#20 ·
If anyone is interested, I have the factory Nav unit for sale. It DOES work with the Rear Entertainment tv set up. I had the same thing in my 2004 TRD Limited with Rear Entertainment and JBL. Everything worked perfectly. I sold the truck but kept the Nav piece (with GPS antenna).

#10 ·
Jedirun said:
No it still won't work because the rear screen will not even get power. It gets a signal from the factory head unit to turn on. Everything in the car is connected digitally. I think that a cheaper, easier way to do it would be to relpace the rear screen with a normal one and run it off the DVD drive in the aftermarket Nav.
Yeah, true...that would be a lot easier. I might get an 06' Tundra DC soon. But the problem is that I want the Limited with all the options, like sunroof, leather etc. etc. and most of the limited DC's with these options also come with the rear entertainment option, so it sucks that you would have to take out that screen and put in another one just so you could make it work with an aftermarket DVD/Navi unit up front. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have it done at that stereo shop you mentioned, because SD is near by and if it ain't too much out of my budget, then I won't mind the 2 hour drive to SD.:tu: I really don't trust the stereo shops around here, there kinda shady and don't do a lot of custom work, just general installations.

#11 ·
Venom760 said:
Yeah, true...that would be a lot easier. I might get an 06' Tundra DC soon. But the problem is that I want the Limited with all the options, like sunroof, leather etc. etc. and most of the limited DC's with these options also come with the rear entertainment option, so it sucks that you would have to take out that screen and put in another one just so you could make it work with an aftermarket DVD/Navi unit up front. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have it done at that stereo shop you mentioned, because SD is near by and if it ain't too much out of my budget, then I won't mind the 2 hour drive to SD.:tu: I really don't trust the stereo shops around here, there kinda shady and don't do a lot of custom work, just general installations.
It was about 6 hours of labor at $75 an hour to install everything including the Nav, getting the steering wheel remote to work and getting the rear DVD to work.

#12 ·
Will someone please tell me where I can go to get this done on mine. I have a Pioneer Avic D1 in my car and the RSE has been useless for over a year.

#14 ·
I know this is still pretty old, but found that Crutchfield has an adapter by Axxess that works with 2008 - 2010 Sequoia (and others) with Factory JBL system in place. I can't post a link since I only have 2 posts, and I need to have 5.

Search for the following:
"Axxess AX-TOYRSAV Factory Integration Adapter
Retain the factory rear seat entertainment (RSE) system in select 2008-10 Toyota vehicles with navigation"

#17 ·
I just replaced the factory stereo head unit in my 2006 Sequoia Limited using the AXXESS TYTO-01 wiring harness and the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. This went well and works great. Now, I'm trying to get the rear seat entertainment system working. I purchase the Metra 71-8113 Reverse Wiring Harness so I could have the wiring harness to plug into the disassembled factory unit, all that is left is the mainboard. I have wired in the following wires to the pins:
1 battery
5 TX+
7 mute
10 ground
11 accessory power
13 antenna
15 TX-
20 ground

When I have the aftermarket stereo unplugged and plug in the replacement harness with the two other stereo wiring harnesses (R19 & R20) the RSES powers up and DVDs play. However, when I plug in the aftermarket stereo which uses some of the same wires, the RSES stops working. I'm guessing I'm getting some interference or something from the aftermarket head unit. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

#21 ·
I just replaced the factory stereo head unit in my 2006 Sequoia Limited using the AXXESS TYTO-01 wiring harness and the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. This went well and works great. Now, I'm trying to get the rear seat entertainment system working. I purchase the Metra 71-8113 Reverse Wiring Harness so I could have the wiring harness to plug into the disassembled factory unit, all that is left is the mainboard. I have wired in the following wires to the pins:
1 battery
5 TX+
7 mute
10 ground
11 accessory power
13 antenna
15 TX-
20 ground

When I have the aftermarket stereo unplugged and plug in the replacement harness with the two other stereo wiring harnesses (R19 & R20) the RSES powers up and DVDs play. However, when I plug in the aftermarket stereo which uses some of the same wires, the RSES stops working. I'm guessing I'm getting some interference or something from the aftermarket head unit. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
[/QUOT
1 battery
5 TX+
7 mute
10 ground
11 accessory power
13 antenna
15 TX-
20 ground

Im in the same boat as you guys. I have been trying to figure out which wires are required to make it work. So far I have pins 1,5,11,15,and 20 on R4 connected and pins 9 and 10 on R19 connected with the factory head unit. I have installed a pioneer avh-501ex using a pac rp4.2-ty11. Everything as far as stereo works great but obviously the DVD wants a signal from the factory head unit. My factory unit didn’t have nav so I was able to take it apart and make it much smaller. As of now, I haven’t gotten it to work, I am wondering if I need the shielded ground (pin 14 R19) or any others?
Text Technical drawing Diagram Drawing Plan

#19 ·
I'm looking for an answer to this as well. I just put in a Jensen head unit with Nav, back up camera and built in DVD. The installer told me the only way to keep the rear entertainment system working is to install the original head unit someplace else in the vehicle. I don't what to do that. Any info would be great.

#22 ·
Sorry to revive still an old thread

So, new to this group, but I owned a 2004 Tundra(RIP) since 2009 and recently got a 2008 sequoia. It has the rear dvd system, but has the jbl non nav radio. I have been looking all over for info about retaining res. Then I found a picture that may or may not be the answer everyone has been searching for.....

This seller has this thing running on the bench, with what just appears to be a POS and neg.......if anyone could look into this, I think this would be greatly beneficial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.