Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Mroning, for the tech people. Does anyone know of any way to adjust the sonar on the Tunrda's. For me, I guess I would want a solid beep at about six inches, not two feet. Thanks for any input.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Good Mroning, for the tech people. Does anyone know of any way to adjust the sonar on the Tunrda's. For me, I guess I would want a solid beep at about six inches, not two feet. Thanks for any input.
Do you have the factory sonar or the Park Pilot, port-installed option?...sounds like the typical insensitivity of the park pilot:confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I have the factory sonar. Option: SO. It gets a steady beep at about 18 to 24" It is nice, but I know when I am 18 to 24 inches away. I don't know when I am 4" away. The front sonar is also for the corners not the front of the truck, but I don't have much trouble knowing where the front is....

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
No, I have the factory sonar. Option: SO. It gets a steady beep at about 18 to 24" It is nice, but I know when I am 18 to 24 inches away. I don't know when I am 4" away. The front sonar is also for the corners not the front of the truck, but I don't have much trouble knowing where the front is....
I agree. The sonar is tuned way too conservatively and it would be nice to change this, but I don't think there is an easy fix. If I didn't have the backup camera the rear sonar would be very disappointing because many times you need to get closer to something than 24" and there is no dilineation between 24 and 4 inches. Also, the 3 stage beep thing is annoying as well. In my F-150 work truck with the rear sonar the beep changes progressively as you get closer to something and goes solid at about 6" and its very useful for parallel parking.

In the owner's manual, it lists the approximate distances for each "beep length". Its different for the front and the rear, just thought I would mention that in case nobody has looked. :tu:

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
roger that...I was expecting about 4"...hmmm. damn

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yeah, the sonar is pretty sensitive. However, I'm starting to get the feel for how far I can go after it goes to solid tone. I use it everytime I pull into the garage. I hear the solid tone, then inch forward slightly for the perfect fit. It may just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There has to be a way to adjust it. There always seems to be with Toyota's.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 2007 Toyota Tundra New Car Features and 2007 Toyota Tundra Electrical Wiring Diagrams, in the TS Subscriber download area, have some detail on the "Intuitive parking assist system".

Unfortunately, the only adjustment mentioned anywhere in them is that the sound volume of the Clearance sonar ECU buzzer can be adjusted via a potentiometer (screw) set in the casing.

The distance at which the beeping goes to solid tone is shown as 33.5" +/- 3.4" for the rear sensors and 15.7" +/- 1.7" for the rear corner sensors.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
The 2007 Toyota Tundra New Car Features and 2007 Toyota Tundra Electrical Wiring Diagrams, in the TS Subscriber download area, have some detail on the "Intuitive parking assist system".

Unfortunately, the only adjustment mentioned anywhere in them is that the sound volume of the Clearance sonar ECU buzzer can be adjusted via a potentiometer (screw) set in the casing.

The distance at which the beeping goes to solid tone is shown as 33.5" +/- 3.4" for the rear sensors and 15.7" +/- 1.7" for the rear corner sensors.
I wonder if a resistor could be thrown in series with the sensor to offset the voltage and change the perceived distance of the sensors. If the computer reads pulses, this wouldn't be possible, but its worth a try...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe swap the corner sensors with the middle sensors? Even leave the now corner sensors disconnected.
Actually I was contemplating this...

For instance, the front corner sonar sensors are shown in the documentation as going from beeps to solid tone at 9.8" +/- 1.1"

There is also a drawing of the sensors' detection fields in the "intiutiv.pdf" file worth checking out.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Actually I was contemplating this...

For instance, the front corner sonar sensors are shown in the documentation as going from beeps to solid tone at 9.8" +/- 1.1"

There is also a drawing of the sensors' detection fields in the "intiutiv.pdf" file worth checking out.
Keeping in mind that the sensors may all be identical, just the way the computer interprets their channel location may be preset. In this case changing the sensors around would have no effect. I don't know for sure if they are identical or not, just throwing that out there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts