Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 2005 SR5 Access Cab and i had a couple of stereo questions i'm hoping someone can help me with.... I am pretty new in the car audio realm... I'm not big into loud booming stereos so i really have no future plans for installing a subwoofer in my truck, but i would like a clear, clean sound.

1) I've removed 2 Infinity Kappa 63.5i (6 1/2", 3-way component) speakers from my previous vehicle, and i was hoping to reuse them in the front doors... I know i could mount them in the back doors fine, but to me, it seems like a waste to mount a 3 way speaker behind my seat somewhere... The mounting depth is listed at 2-3/16" for these speakers, Are they going to fit?

2) Assuming these will go in the front, does anyone have a recommendation for what i mount in the access doors? I'm willing to spend $150-$200 per pair for something to go back there, if need be.

3) What kind of output does the factory head unit have? Its not a premium JBL system or anything, just the standard 4 speaker setup. With 2 speakers on hand that have a 75W RMS and plans to buy 2 more of something comparable... i'm thinking a small amplifier is going to be needed to make any difference at all.

4) I'd like to keep the factory head unit installed and install the speakers directly off of it or install an amp off of the factory unit. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive product that would make this possible? I'm pretty sure the factory unit isn't sporting the necessary output.

Again, i'm pretty familiar with the hardware aspect of the car stereo stuff, but i'm a novice when it comes to installing it... so any tips anyone can give me would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Do a search here for "window track mod". This will allow deeper than normal speakers into the front doors, although I'm not sure how deep.
I installed Infinity 6022si speakers in my doors. The "s" in the model number indicates "slim". They are cheap and can be installed without mods. They are efficient enough to run off of the stock radio, sound good, and are very loud and crisp. However, they have almost zero bass (as I assume would be the case with most door speakers). They are night and day better than the stockers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do a search here for "window track mod". This will allow deeper than normal speakers into the front doors, although I'm not sure how deep.
I installed Infinity 6022si speakers in my doors. The "s" in the model number indicates "slim". They are cheap and can be installed without mods. They are efficient enough to run off of the stock radio, sound good, and are very loud and crisp. However, they have almost zero bass (as I assume would be the case with most door speakers). They are night and day better than the stockers.
Thanks for the tip...I checked out that window modification and i may try that if its close to too deep.

I've got the two speakers in my garage right now, fresh out of my last car, with an in-line crossover attached

I'm not too sure about the installation... on my old Honda... There was speaker wires coming from the head unit into the doors and deck and there was some sort of plastic connector on the end of the speaker wires. There was a matching plastic connector that was spliced to the Infinity inline crossover that connected to the speakers.

So i'm assuming all i need to do to connect these speakers directly to the factory radio... is find a Toyota version of this connector and splice it to the crossover and plug it into whatever is coming from my Toyota factory unit...

Anybody with a clue about this stuff that can tell me if i'm way off base?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I haven't upgraded the speakers but I'd assume that there are two wires that go to the factors plastic connector, one red (or another color) and one black. if you simple cut off this connector and attach the two wires to the speaker (red is +, black is -) it should work without buying additional harnesses

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Do some searching as everyone says. What many have done, including myself, is using the stock speakers with their hard plastic frame. Cut out all the spines and speaker and you are left with a perfect fitting plastic circular riser - takes screws easily and insures perfect fit for your new speakers.

Even if you didn't buy the speakers from Crutchfield, they will sell you the little plastic wire bundle that will snap into stock connector and provide you with the proper red and black wires to connect to your speaker.

While you are in your door - add a little dynomat. Remember, you are trying to stop resonation. Only need to cover 15% of your door. Put a big square on the interior side of the external metal - stops noise, and cover a couple holes and put some smaller squares on interior. No need to cover every possible square inch - cost too much and helps a little more but not worth the dollars.

good luck - the results are wonderful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts