Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have thought about doing this earlier this summer when I bought the truck when it's been like 100+ here in TX.

Anyway, now that the weather is slowly cooling off (still in the mid-90s and muggy), I'm thinking of getting my windows tinted. I have the '03 AC with factory tint behind the driver sides and rear sliding windows.

Question I have is this. I was originally going to just tint the front 2 windows. After talking to a local tint installer, he's suggesting I should tint all the way if I want the true UV protection as the factory tint is just dark window or what he called the privacy window. He said that most factory tinted windows do not offer the benefit of the UV protection, or light reflection that many metallic tint films offer. So if it's done for looks, the front 2 windows will do the job to match the rest of the truck. But to truly try to cool the interior temperature down, and to protect the interior fabric and such, it's better to tint all the way around.

I'm not looking to get very dark tint...just the basic 35% legal tint. I know that 35% over the factory tint would be like 20% or less once it's done.

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure that the glass used for our Toyota are UV coated or protected to actually reject the heat or is it just for privacy?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
So get 35 front and 50 rear. Many aftermarket tints use metallic tints so the UV is reflected out as your uy said. That metallic tint also blocks a small portion of radio waves in/out of the cab. Not a big deal for most people because radio antennae are typically exterior of your tint.

I've got 20 front and 35 rear and it looks fine. For a long time I had just 20 front and nothing in the rear. I swear that rear privacy glass was doing nothing. My truck was always scorching hot after work. It's not so intolerable now with tinted glass all the way around.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I should have thought about doing this earlier this summer when I bought the truck when it's been like 100+ here in TX.
I'm not looking to get very dark tint...just the basic 35% legal tint. I know that 35% over the factory tint would be like 20% or less once it's done.

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure that the glass used for our Toyota are UV coated or protected to actually reject the heat or is it just for privacy?
I have one of those window tint meters that the cops use and the factory rear window with the slider is 27%. The back side windows are 20%.

I have 18% over top of the factory tinted glass on the sliding rear window and came out to be 5% in the rear. Yes its dark and it definitely cuts out the headlight glare at night.

Putting 35% tint overtop of the factory sliding rear window would probably bring it down to mid to high teen's.

Chris

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you goggle UV factory tint there a lot of threads about the topic. Most I've read say there is no UV protection and there's a few on TS that say the say for other Toyotas, no UV protection.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm....sounds like the Toyota as with most manufacturers just have the dark glass as privacy, and not really offering any UV protection as with a a good aftermarket film tint. I think I will just spend a few bucks more to get the tint all the way around.

I actually don't need the windows in the back any darker than they are now. Do they have tint that are lighter than 35%, and yet still offer the UV protection? I'm more interested in the functionality of it more than looks. On my Excursion, I had 5% limo tint, which looks nice, but it was simply too dark at night....for me at least.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Shen,

you can get tint film at 50% which is very light and I don't think that it will have any affect on you being able to see out of at night. Just ask a couple of tint shops. Personally I don't think the 50% will do you any good other than reduce the UV rays. But if you want to cut some of the glare out and still be able to see out the back then go 35%. It will be the best of both worlds. I think. Ask the window tint shop what brand and model window tint they use. They should have a spec sheet too.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts