Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new truck has factory XM but no nav. After traveling to the dealer to look at a fully loaded truck, I was so disappointed in the factory NAV that I ended up buying one that had everything except the NAV and RSES. Only being able to view certain states at a time via DVD? Man, my Eclipse NAV in 2006 had that capability...yikes!

So anyways, has anyone kept the factory XM interface by using the JBL harness and an aftermarket NAV unit? I always used to buy Eclipse, but the new Pioneer with voice recognition has me considering a change this time!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont have personal experience; but my understanding is that it would depend on the brand of radio you go with and what interfaces are available. But i have been wrong before :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would assume that it would work as mine did. The new aftermarket head unit needs the adapter harness to plug the XM tuner into the new stereo. I have Sirius and replaced my factory JBL, (no nav) with a kenwood 9140. With my Sirius tuner already in the car, it just needed the adapter to plug the Sirius tuner into the Kenwood. Cheap and works well. Love my Kenwood BTW. Look at them before you finally decide.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really! I tried asking Crutchfield today, and they said I could not use the factory XM unit OR antenna. Now I have new hope :) Where did you buy your adapter?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Eclipse no longer exist, sux because they made great head units. There are adapter and if not any local shop can matchup the wires for you if you don't mind a little cutting.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cutting and splicing is the easy part, the hard part is knowing that you are making the right connections.

I haven't heard anything about Eclipse? I've owned more than a few of their head units over the years, and the last time I heard Fujitsu Ten was operating just fine?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
If you pickup a Pioneer Nav unit (I use the "slightly older" f700bt) you can pickup an XM tuner off ebay, for around $100 new / $50'ish used. The tuner should come with everything it needs, including antenna & wiring. There's lots of room to mount it (it's about the size of an external hard drive) and you don't have to run the antenna wiring outside. I have mine up on the front left corner of my dash, right at the windshield corner, and you barely notice it; it picks up the signal just fine.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Pioneer. It's not perfect, but considering the low price, it's great.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not an option for me. There is a hole already drilled in my roof for the factory antenna. Oh well, at least that saves me the trouble of running the cable down the side of the windshield :)

I wonder if I can have the antenna colormatched? Now you've got me thinking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts