Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a little trip yesterday (300 mi.) and got a hair over 22 mpg in my 5.7 4X4. That was bucking a stong wind and AC on for half of the jaunt. Anybody else getting decent numbers. Thats acutally a little better than my 03 4x4 with 4.7. I do not drive like a bat outta hell but I do make good time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
that's great mileage, i average around 16-17 which i think is pretty good for a 6000+ lb truck with a 5.7 V8, compared to my expedition which averages b/w 8-12 5.4 V8

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Took a little trip yesterday (300 mi.) and got a hair over 22 mpg in my 5.7 4X4. That was bucking a stong wind and AC on for half of the jaunt. Anybody else getting decent numbers. Thats acutally a little better than my 03 4x4 with 4.7. I do not drive like a bat outta hell but I do make good time.
:rolleyes: 50-55mph around here will get you killed. but great mileage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what speeds?
two lane or four lane?
how flat was the terrane?
were their any stops or city driving?
and what year is your truck and how many miles?
does it have any mods?

That is some pretty GREAT mileage even at 55-60 mph especially with the air on part of the way. I've barely been able to squeeze that much on a couple of test drives by not over a 300 mile stretch.

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
134 Posts
I get a consistent 19-20 driving about 73 on my route to work (50mi) daily - all 2 lane insterstate. 22mpg is terrific, especially for the 5.7 which I always hear bad gas mileage. I would assume this has to be 65mph or below. I have a 4.6L in an 08 crew max.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i get 29mpg driving 80+ all the time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
08 DC 4X4. Flat terrain. cruise set 60MPH. 2 lane interstate.
Thats great mpg. I could never get my 4.6 DC 4x4 with 4.10 diff to get that kinda mpg unless I was doing like 56 mph on flat terrain. Even then all I could get was 19-21 mpg on the highway( I suspect you could add 1 or 2 mpg with pure gas). These trucks get good mpg for what they are.. big heavy 1/2 tons.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I also got about 22 mpg driving to a nearby city and back. It was mostly rural two-lane road with construction stops.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
:rolleyes: 50-55mph around here will get you killed. but great mileage.
I REALLY hate when people are doing 50-55 mph in the middle lane (and especially fast lane) in the middle of rushhour. Do the F*CKING SPEED LIMIT or keep up with traffic.

No cop will pull you over for keeping up with traffic during rushhour (right?)

I honestly feel that drivers that aren't alert like that are among the worst and dangerous of drivers

-rockstate

·
Registered
179 Posts
I REALLY hate when people are doing 50-55 mph in the middle lane (and especially fast lane) in the middle of rushhour. Do the F*CKING SPEED LIMIT or keep up with traffic.

No cop will pull you over for keeping up with traffic during rushhour (right?)

I honestly feel that drivers that aren't alert like that are among the worst and dangerous of drivers

-rockstate
I dont mess around worrying about mpg when in traffic that is all doing 75+. my survival instinct kicks the crap out of my conservation mindset and pretty soon I'm doing 80mph.
Everything has its proper time and place.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I have never gotten above 18 MPG in my truck no matter how easy I drive, but I have gotten as low as 8 MPG towing :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
My best ever was 18.7, this is with the cruise set at about 63-65 mph and occasional moderately heavy throttle. This is an 09 Crewmax that had less than 1000 miles at the time of the trip. I had myself, a passenger, and probably at least 100 pounds of gear in the truck. All flat roads, stuck to the slow lane. I have to imagine 20-21 mpg would have been fairly easy had I kept her to 55 and feathered the throttle 100% of the time. These trucks, with the gearing, 6 speed, and torque, are capable of surprising mileage for how heavy and powerful they are.

And to think... there's people here who refuse to do less than 70-75 mph on the highway who talk about how many hundreds of dollars they plan to spend in a quest for 20 mpg, when I can get it any time I want free of charge. Maybe I should take a piece of paper that says drive slow with a light foot, put it in a big flashy box with the K&N, Magnaflow, or Volant name on it, and see how much I can sell it for.

BTW I don't know about anyone else but I ignore the computer and do it by hand when I care to check, miles covered/number of gallons going back into the tank.

Haven't driven like that since that trip though so it's more like 13-14 mixed and 16 or so highway. I am a leadfoot so I don't harp on it. Typically I almost never measure or calculate it on my trucks, just once right after I buy to see what they're capable of then from time to time if I'm curious. If I have to drive I have to drive. If I'm gonna drive, I'm gonna drive it hard. Knowing how many gallons of gas this thing chugs when I put it to use won't change anything or help much. Insert card, activate pump. Pay bill at end of month and move on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i used to get about 15mpg but put on 2 inch and 33s and man im lucky to get 12 out of her still wouldnt give it up for the world

·
Registered
422 Posts
these fuel mileage posts are BS. 90% lie.

·
Registered
422 Posts
08 DC 4X4. Flat terrain. cruise set 60MPH. 2 lane interstate.
I'm convinced using cruise on our trucks results in WORSE fuel mileage. The cruise is so sensitive it it always jumping gears on every hill.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts