Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Fair mileage or not?

18K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  kfxbryan 
#1 ·
Took a little trip yesterday (300 mi.) and got a hair over 22 mpg in my 5.7 4X4. That was bucking a stong wind and AC on for half of the jaunt. Anybody else getting decent numbers. Thats acutally a little better than my 03 4x4 with 4.7. I do not drive like a bat outta hell but I do make good time.

#3 ·
:rolleyes: 50-55mph around here will get you killed. but great mileage.

#4 ·
what speeds?
two lane or four lane?
how flat was the terrane?
were their any stops or city driving?
and what year is your truck and how many miles?
does it have any mods?

That is some pretty GREAT mileage even at 55-60 mph especially with the air on part of the way. I've barely been able to squeeze that much on a couple of test drives by not over a 300 mile stretch.

Thanks for the post

#5 ·
I get a consistent 19-20 driving about 73 on my route to work (50mi) daily - all 2 lane insterstate. 22mpg is terrific, especially for the 5.7 which I always hear bad gas mileage. I would assume this has to be 65mph or below. I have a 4.6L in an 08 crew max.

#7 ·
i get 29mpg driving 80+ all the time.:rolleyes:

#8 ·
08 DC 4X4. Flat terrain. cruise set 60MPH. 2 lane interstate.
Thats great mpg. I could never get my 4.6 DC 4x4 with 4.10 diff to get that kinda mpg unless I was doing like 56 mph on flat terrain. Even then all I could get was 19-21 mpg on the highway( I suspect you could add 1 or 2 mpg with pure gas). These trucks get good mpg for what they are.. big heavy 1/2 tons.

#9 ·
I also got about 22 mpg driving to a nearby city and back. It was mostly rural two-lane road with construction stops.

#11 ·
:rolleyes: 50-55mph around here will get you killed. but great mileage.
I REALLY hate when people are doing 50-55 mph in the middle lane (and especially fast lane) in the middle of rushhour. Do the F*CKING SPEED LIMIT or keep up with traffic.

No cop will pull you over for keeping up with traffic during rushhour (right?)

I honestly feel that drivers that aren't alert like that are among the worst and dangerous of drivers

-rockstate

#13 ·
I REALLY hate when people are doing 50-55 mph in the middle lane (and especially fast lane) in the middle of rushhour. Do the F*CKING SPEED LIMIT or keep up with traffic.

No cop will pull you over for keeping up with traffic during rushhour (right?)

I honestly feel that drivers that aren't alert like that are among the worst and dangerous of drivers

-rockstate
I dont mess around worrying about mpg when in traffic that is all doing 75+. my survival instinct kicks the crap out of my conservation mindset and pretty soon I'm doing 80mph.
Everything has its proper time and place.

#14 ·
I have never gotten above 18 MPG in my truck no matter how easy I drive, but I have gotten as low as 8 MPG towing :)

#16 ·
My best ever was 18.7, this is with the cruise set at about 63-65 mph and occasional moderately heavy throttle. This is an 09 Crewmax that had less than 1000 miles at the time of the trip. I had myself, a passenger, and probably at least 100 pounds of gear in the truck. All flat roads, stuck to the slow lane. I have to imagine 20-21 mpg would have been fairly easy had I kept her to 55 and feathered the throttle 100% of the time. These trucks, with the gearing, 6 speed, and torque, are capable of surprising mileage for how heavy and powerful they are.

And to think... there's people here who refuse to do less than 70-75 mph on the highway who talk about how many hundreds of dollars they plan to spend in a quest for 20 mpg, when I can get it any time I want free of charge. Maybe I should take a piece of paper that says drive slow with a light foot, put it in a big flashy box with the K&N, Magnaflow, or Volant name on it, and see how much I can sell it for.

BTW I don't know about anyone else but I ignore the computer and do it by hand when I care to check, miles covered/number of gallons going back into the tank.

Haven't driven like that since that trip though so it's more like 13-14 mixed and 16 or so highway. I am a leadfoot so I don't harp on it. Typically I almost never measure or calculate it on my trucks, just once right after I buy to see what they're capable of then from time to time if I'm curious. If I have to drive I have to drive. If I'm gonna drive, I'm gonna drive it hard. Knowing how many gallons of gas this thing chugs when I put it to use won't change anything or help much. Insert card, activate pump. Pay bill at end of month and move on.

#21 ·
It's the accelerating up to speed that REALLy kills the gas mileage. If you can get up to 60 and stay there on cruise, on decent flat terrain, using real gas and not that bastardised 'up to 10 percent ethanol' ditchwater they have here in Houston, there is no reason you can't get 22mpg. The air really doesnt make a huge difference on these vehicles. It makes some, but I get over 20 mpg at 65mph. Withthe air on all the time (Texas kinda requires it). however, it is not always easy to stick to that speed, I sometimes need to speed up if passing so that I am not holding up other traffic in the left hand lane, or I may need to slow down occasionally. Hence I only get maybe 20-21.

#22 ·
I went from Stafford, VA to OBX shortly after buying my truck, and was able to get as high as 21 mpg at one point. I averaged 17, with a mixture of AC and no AC. The portion of the trip where I got the best mpg was at 55 mph, which was the speed limit on that portion of the highway - and everyone was doing 55 because of all the troopers out.
I have a 5.7 2010 DCSB 4x4. Around town I've never been able to get better than 14 - those overdrive gears make a big difference.

#23 ·
I went from Stafford, VA to OBX shortly after buying my truck, and was able to get as high as 21 mpg at one point. I averaged 17, with a mixture of AC and no AC. The portion of the trip where I got the best mpg was at 55 mph, which was the speed limit on that portion of the highway - and everyone was doing 55 because of all the troopers out.
I have a 5.7 2010 DCSB 4x4. Around town I've never been able to get better than 14 - those overdrive gears make a big difference.
Yup. Around town, I can only get 14. Sometime 15 if I am particularily light on the throttle for the whole tankful. But usually, its right at 14, give or take a quarter point.

The only time I can get over 20 is where I don't have to touch the throttle at all on decent smooth terrain. But I definitely can do it, because I have done it, and it was measured by hand. If I start having to go up hills, then there is no way. The fuel consumption increases tremendously, especially as it will shift gears on you.

In fact, Kerrville to Houston actually involves a bit of downhill :) which is the route I normally measure fuel consumption on. So that's gotta help a tad too. Thnk Kerrville sells real gas too , not that fairy liquid hippy fuel.

#24 ·
#25 ·
I get no better than 12 mpg no matter if im on the highway or not. but its expected, since im runnin 35's and a lift kit. Like a lot of others, i second guess all these guys claimin they get 20+ mpg outta this big ole' truck. A part of me wants to believe um, but the other part of me knows better.

#26 ·
Thats great mpg. I could never get my 4.6 DC 4x4 with 4.10 diff to get that kinda mpg unless I was doing like 56 mph on flat terrain. Even then all I could get was 19-21 mpg on the highway( I suspect you could add 1 or 2 mpg with pure gas). These trucks get good mpg for what they are.. big heavy 1/2 tons.
I should add that this was prior to puttin 34 inch diameter tires and a 3 inch lift on the truck ..its now closer to 16-18pg under 65 mph on flat terrain with no cruise control.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.