Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting guys... I'm a tacoma owner.... yeehaw.

I just bought my used 9,000 mile 2006 4dr shortbed TRD badass tacoma...

But... the next day I was looking at my hood scoop and noticed it was fake. Damn I bought a truck and didnt pay attention to the tiny details ... Ok so its a fake hood scoop. Is there any kit availiable to hook this thing up to make it really work? I mean it looks cool and all but why have a fake hood scoop... come on now toyota. :confused:

Great forum . thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i just did a search on here and kinda answered my own question ... but has anyone ever made this hood scoop funcional?
:ts:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to make it "functional" because it won't do anything other than make a lot of noise.

There are, however, lots of guys without the scoop that would gladly trade you their plain hood plus some cash for your scoop hood. I have a customer with a red one that wants a scoop.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I replaced my non-scoop hood that got snow damage with a scoop hood. The shop failed to order all of the parts to the hood scoop, so they didnt have the mesh and the plastic piece that plugs the hole. Its been a few weeks now and I see absolutely no difference in how dirty the engine is compared to the old hood.

People are basing their comments on their assumptions. What rain water does get in through the scoop is generally pretty clean, since most water kicking up from the road is already heading through the radiator and from underneath the front end. The engine is going to get dirty/wet regardless if you have a hole in the hood or not. Noise? I have yet to notice any difference. I would think (assumption) having a plugged scoop would introduce more noise then a functioning scoop. Since aerodynamics is aerodynamics, it would also have more drag with a plugged scoop since air is flowing into the plug with no where to go. You would create a high pressure. For a quick example, take a plastic cup, hold it out the window in a position where you are trying to scoop up the air (the top of it/opening towards the front of the vehicle) while driving down the road. Be sure to hold on tight because you'll build up pressure in the cup fast. Now, cut a hole on the bottom of the cup, and repeat. Much easier, right?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Keeps it cooler, but you will have a filthy engine compartment in no time.

Yep, I couldn't agree more... Dirty engine compartment big time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts