Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last tire question, I promise....I am down to deciding between two tires for my Carved Alloy wheels. I have the OEM fender flares, so I am thinking the little bit wider tire may be better. I'd appreciate opinions on the two. They area....

Falken Ziex STZ-04 in a 295/50-R20
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

--OR--

Yokohama Parada Spec-X in a 275/55-R20
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I could get the Falken in a 275/55-R20 also.

Thoughts?? opinions??

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
Cooper and General Tire will probably get you a better tire at that price range. if you're set on discount tire's direct then look into the Hankook, Nitto, or Cooper Zeons.... If you're set between the Yoko's and Falken, i'd opt w/ the Yoko's!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I chose the Pirelli Scorpion Zero after talking to a couple tire pros regarding the fact that the Falkens have a reputation of splitting at the sides and the Yokos wearing very quickly on heavier vehicles. I don't have a fierce loyalty to Pirelli, but they are quiet and wear very well. They flat spot in the morning if it is below 60, but I went and had them filled with nitrogen and that problem went away.
Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have the Falken in a 275/55-R20 on my truck. Still run great! Can't complain. When it's time for new tires. I want the Falken 275/60-R20 to make the truck taller. I do not like low-profile tires on the truck. I have Bilsteins shocks (2.5" lift) to level the truck.

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
from my experience the lower profile tires on Falken tend to bubble, you can check references at the club lexus forums. The yokoyama's tend to be a softer compound made for more grip but at larger tires the difference in mileage is minimal enough to over look, the Parada's tend to be good grip for the $. I've always felt Pirelli tires tend to be noisy and unforgiving after a few thousand miles, I've never owned a set of Pirelli's myself but am only speaking on other owners references on them. That being said, these guys were almost always from the East Coast where roads are more rough.

I would always pick a softer compound vs. a hard compound but thats just me. Softer compounds have less life but provide more grip and for me thats the purpose of tires anyways, grip. If you're more concerned with tread life then you may want to go with a harder compound and just pick from a noise and comfort perspective.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, made a complete 180 and decided to go with the Hankook Ventus ST RH06. Got great reviews and is a nice looking tire. Going with the reccomended 275/55-20

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
I think you'll do fine w/ those tires, I've heard great things from guys that ride Ventus and personally riding in them, I think they're on par w/ my Toyo's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you'll do fine w/ those tires, I've heard great things from guys that ride Ventus and personally riding in them, I think they're on par w/ my Toyo's.
Thanks. I hope they work out. I couldn't find anything negative about them. I'd have liked to go a little wider, but decided to play it safe in the end. I'll post some pics once I get them mounted onto my new Carved Alloys. Excited about it for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts