Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rear-ended this morning by a Lincoln Navigator. I don't even think the lady slowed down. I was stopped, she was going about 40. My airbags did not go off.

My '08 DC XSP was creamed. It looks like a giant picked up my truck and bent it in the middle. I can actually see the metal pillar around where I had dash sink. The top of the bed looks like an Avalanche or Ridgeline.

Anyway, my seat (8 way electronic) almost folded in half. Right under my shoulder blades, the seat just folds back and looks like that giant pinched it between two fingers. My back hurts like hell right there....like I slept on someone's sleeper-sofa right on the cross-bar.

At first, I thought what a POS this truck has been. Then I start doing Google searches on whiplash and Toyota and come up with the "Toyota whiplash injury lessening (WIL) system.

From what little I could read, it seems that the seats with WIL systems are designed to give, which prevents the snapping forward after the snapping back.

Does anyone know if Tundras have the WIL system? I couldn't find any lists that showed if all vehicles had this or just the sedans. Maybe the seat was designed to crumple.

Another question: when I get this truck worked on, I want every piece that is broke/bent/not at factory specs to be replaced with one that is new (my truck only has 3k miles on it). Not something Bond-O'd or hammered back in. Will the collision center be able to tell all the parts that have been affected by the wreck? For example, if I didn't sit and stare at my dash sink every day for about 30min and stew over it, I may have not noticed that the pillar looks buckled.

I want this truck rebuilt like Steve Austin. Any chance of this happening, or should I sell, sue, and buy new?

<sigh> What a crappy year so far...at least my 10month old wasn't in there with me. I had just dropped him off at the baby sitters. Jeez I hate Atlanta drivers.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Glad you are here to talk about it, get well soon.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
From the sounds of it, I'm guessing that the truck is totaled, but who knows.

Glad that you are ok though.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad your sort of o.k.! Relax about the whole thing until you hear from your ins. co. otherwise it'll burn you up.
any pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I'm glad you're ok. Make sure you take a lot of pictures for yourself for future reference, medical claims, legal matters, etc. I know the insurance co will.Probably best to get a lawyer to make sure you get what's due you.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I had a woman run a red light and hit my truck. I'm still playing the Insurance game and my truck sits. I made the mistake of waiting for THEM to do something. If you haven't already contacted YOUR Ins. company, do it right away, even though it was her fault..

Glad to hear that your weren't seriously injured. And ya, we need pictures ........

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good thing you are not too injured.
Let your insurance co. do its job , although get some local references about the body shops.
As for your airbags, they will not blow for a rear -end collision. the sensors are in the front of the vehicle and another in the center mass of the vehicle.
Sounds like your seat did it's job to protect you, as well as the rest of the truck, with the 'crumple zones'. they absorb the energy and let you walk away while you have a bent up truck.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
probally totalled if it has frame damage. if its not i'd push for it to be. if not, go after them for diminished value ( i have a guy me and guntech are using PM me if you want his info). sounds like the truck did its job. airbag deployment in a rear end collision would complicate injuries by forcing the body and head back in a manner that would cause more damage than just letting the body move on its own. being completely strapped into a seat that folds in half with straps as tight as tie downs would not be beneficial either. sounds like it did what it was supposed to and you're ok.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I feel the seat did its job ...... You would want the seat to fold or bend etc to absorb some of the energy from the impact so as to not transfer the excess energy into your body. I would also recommend that you go see a chiropractor! Good luck! :tu:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Glad you're alright. I hope everything turns out good with the insurance. Did you by chance get any pictures of the truck for future referance or anything?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Glad you are ok, a crash at that speed is very violent. Occupant protection in vehicles has increased dramatically over the years. Just a few years ago, with a rear end crash like that, you would have been strapped to a backboard with severe neck injuries. The seats and the truck for that matter, are designed to absorb the impact, so your body doesn't.

Based on your description, I bet your truck is totaled. Frame damage from that kind of impact is pretty much a given. Hopefully the insurance companies do there job and take care of you!

·
The Rhino Has Nice Shoes
175 Posts
Glad you are OK. I was rear-ended a couple of years back in my Tacoma -- no fun at all. Sounds like the truck did its job.

--cc

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Indeed, the seat was merely doing its job.. absorbing the impact energy and channelling it around the body instead of sending you to a flat board stretcher.

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was rear-ended this morning by a Lincoln Navigator. I don't even think the lady slowed down. I was stopped, she was going about 40. My airbags did not go off.

My '08 DC XSP was creamed. It looks like a giant picked up my truck and bent it in the middle. I can actually see the metal pillar around where I had dash sink. The top of the bed looks like an Avalanche or Ridgeline.

Anyway, my seat (8 way electronic) almost folded in half. Right under my shoulder blades, the seat just folds back and looks like that giant pinched it between two fingers. My back hurts like hell right there....like I slept on someone's sleeper-sofa right on the cross-bar.

At first, I thought what a POS this truck has been. Then I start doing Google searches on whiplash and Toyota and come up with the "Toyota whiplash injury lessening (WIL) system.

From what little I could read, it seems that the seats with WIL systems are designed to give, which prevents the snapping forward after the snapping back.

Does anyone know if Tundras have the WIL system? I couldn't find any lists that showed if all vehicles had this or just the sedans. Maybe the seat was designed to crumple.

Another question: when I get this truck worked on, I want every piece that is broke/bent/not at factory specs to be replaced with one that is new (my truck only has 3k miles on it). Not something Bond-O'd or hammered back in. Will the collision center be able to tell all the parts that have been affected by the wreck? For example, if I didn't sit and stare at my dash sink every day for about 30min and stew over it, I may have not noticed that the pillar looks buckled.

I want this truck rebuilt like Steve Austin. Any chance of this happening, or should I sell, sue, and buy new?

<sigh> What a crappy year so far...at least my 10month old wasn't in there with me. I had just dropped him off at the baby sitters. Jeez I hate Atlanta drivers.
You are correct that the seat did its job. Believe it or not all Toyotas and Lexus use the same Front seat frames all no exceptions. They are called SK4 frames and the only difference in the vehicles will be the seat track. small cars use smaller tracks than trucks for example. The Frame has many safety welds which help with an such impact and the fact that the frame gave is a good not bad sign. Well I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have taken some photos of the damage for legal purposes.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmiller1807/ssd/wreck.html

I'm going to bet that she didn't even hit the brakes. That's the reason for the photo with the ruler. I am going to guess if I measured the Navigator emblem on other trucks, they would come up to the same height shown. However, if someone slammed on the brakes, the front end would take a nosedive of at least 6-10 inches.

Notice the buckling of the pillar where you normally see "dash sink." The other side has it also.

I don't know if you can make it out, but there are gaps between where the bed meets the frame.

Before the wreck, I had just filled up and had about 50 mi on the tank and was above 3/4 tank full. After the wreck, I only had half a tank. I didn't see any leaks, but in one pic, you can see the tank looks a little tilted.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Wow! Did you drive it home?

Anyways, I guess the "total" call will really depend on how bad the book values have fallen. I am guessing you are pretty close to getting a new truck.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Man I see what you mean about the seat never seen one do that of course I don't every safety feature of the tundra. Just buy a new truck with tat much damge it would be bout the same as you would pay for a new one !

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Also found you your new truck jim barkley has the exact same truck you wercked on the lot !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts