Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently done a lot of looking at Viper remote start and security systems (thanks whoever was looking for remote start in earlier thread lol). They boast a lot of really neat features and I believe it would be very convenient for me to be able to start my truck in my dorm and let it heat up before even walking to the truck, and when I'm back home in Louisiana, I could let it cool down in summer. I also like the security system and I just think its worth it.

That being said: does anyone have experience with any of these systems? Want to hear the good and the bad. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
330 Posts
i saw that same post lol, damn you, my friend has one on his mustang, and it comes with a little screen that shows you if/when/ where someone/thing hits your car, its pretty cool

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
i've got one of those viper remote start/alarms in my accord. before that, had one in a ford ranger. it's the 2way pager design that sends feedback to the remote. goes through batteries about every other month (1 AAA) but other than that its great.

edit: oh yeah. i got it at best buy. not because they are the premiere audio install shop, but because they have a lifetime warranty on it that i can use anywhere in the country. that's a good thing because i move every 2-3 years for work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've got Vipers on both vehicles. I recommend turning down the sensitivity of the built in shock/motion sensor since every loud stereo & motorcycle will set it off. Add a tilt sensor 507m set to the most sensitive setting to prevent towing or rim theft. I also use a back up battery 520t in case they pop the hood & cut the power and a glass breakage detector 506t for smash & grab protection. A battery powered back up siren 515r & pain generator sirens in the cab finish it off. PIEZO SIREN PAIN GENERATOR [INTERIOR SIREN]::SIREN (PIEZO SMALL & INTERIOR)::SIRENS - AIRHORNS - HORNS - NOISE MAKERS - PIEZO SIRENS::Car Alarm & Remote Start::AUTOTOYS

HTH.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I had a python system on my truck to begin with which is the same as all the top end dei units. Yes the remote batts have to be changed each month on the two way paging remote. I replaced mine after someone illegally entered my truck and damaged the system.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I pulled my Pursuit system (installed by dealer when new) last year and
upgraded to the Viper setup, and love the features and quality. You pay a little more
for Viper over Python, but, discounts from my audio shop I use made it worth it.

Not sure what model you are looking at. I am using the 5901. The main fob btw, comes with a
chargeable feature, so you do not need to replace batteries all the time. For those that like pics,here are the key fobs with the model I have.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I have a Viper Alarm with the Viper SmartStart add-on (VSM100). I dont even have to carry a remote. Its activated from my phone (blackberry). If im in Alaska, and my my wife is home in NM, I can unlock or start the truck for her. They also charge a yearly fee for the blackberry app $29.99/Year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks guys, keep the feedback coming! I'm planning on getting the 5902 system and adding window breakage, tilt sensor, battery backup, and power window modules. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking at the 5901 as well. Is it the best bang for the buck for remote start and security? Also has anyone went the DIY route with installation? If they have how hard was it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had the Viper 791 on a car a few years ago, had the Clifford 3305x on my jeep. Now I have the Clifford 330.3X. They are all 2 way systems and have gotten better over time. I like the new clifford the best for the features. Viper/clifford/python etc are all DEI products and very well made. For the new generation the Viper's look the best.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i got one last summer and its perfect. only problem is that thunderstorms set it off a lot of times. is a very cool system. only thing is that you have to pay $70 for a part for the auto start fetuare on all the newer vehicles. 1980 and up.... just keep that in mind. i saw that someone went to best buy.... DONT... i have a couple buddys who did and had to go back at least 5 times and still the install was HORRIBLE... basically its just like you doing it yourself except they think they know what they are doing and have no idea... good luck and you will love it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have owned my 790xv for 7 years now and it is great. The only complaint that I have is the remote eats batteries. I think the new ones that you guys are looking at are more energy efficient.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
As we all know, electronics upgrade to next gen every year. So, you do have options
for which model you like and how much you want features and flexibility (cost). I really like my unit and options together
as a package (do not want any bad boys playing with my ride).

A link to check the options and features you may want.

Viper - Security with Remote Start

1 - 14 of 14 Posts