Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 DC Tundra, just moved from VA to CO and it ran fine the whole 1800 miles. First few days didnt notice too much of a difference in the drive, But recently it feels as though my Tundra is struggling to get up some of the hills around a here small or just little humps. I checked the air filter to see if it was overly dusty or other wise and looked around a little bit under the hood and cant figure it out. It doesnt happen all the time, and as I stated before it is only when it is going up small hills or trying to get enough pickup.
Any advice? Does the elevation change and thinner air have anything to do with the performance? Thanks in advance.

-PEDRO-:beatsme:

·
Registered
655 Posts
id give it a little while,let your computer adjust to the higher elevation.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Pull the battery cable and reset the computer. Then see if it makes a difference??
Yeah... leave it unplugged for a few minutes (10 if you have them). Also, check your MAF sensor in the intake tube. Maybe it's gunked up or something, and is having a hard time reading the increased air-flow when you give it more gas... That, or maybe you have bad gas or need your fuel-filter replaced.

·
Registered
655 Posts
toyota fuel filters are designed to last the life of the vehicle,unless you get crapy gas like popo mentioned."dont ask me how they last so long,but they do,lol"i had a 94 truck,with 198.000 miles on it,i took the filter off thinking it needed to be change,and there was no gum,crud,crap,nothing.it was as clean as it could be.go figure.lol

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse here, but + 1 more for the battery reset.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
toyota fuel filters are designed to last the life of the vehicle,unless you get crapy gas like popo mentioned."dont ask me how they last so long,but they do,lol"i had a 94 truck,with 198.000 miles on it,i took the filter off thinking it needed to be change,and there was no gum,crud,crap,nothing.it was as clean as it could be.go figure.lol
alot of vehicles are that way now. for the life of me i cant figure it out. back when i started driving i remembered fuel filter being the first thing to check when something didnt work right, and 99 percent of the time they were clogged and u couldnt blow through them....now manuf'rs are putting them in the fuel tank and they are a non serviceable item...my 96 neon was that way and when i looked in the book to find the specs/location, it said it was a non serviceable item. go figure. same with this 2001 hyundai santa fe my in laws just gave us...not a serviceable item. weird. gas cant be that much cleaner nowadays...maybe its plastic tanks vs metal tanks and rust particles??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So best bet right now is to take off the terminals from the battery and let it sit for about 10 to let the computer reset? Damn how easy is that. I'll try it out in a few, waiting on dinner.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
So best bet right now is to take off the terminals from the battery and let it sit for about 10 to let the computer reset? Damn how easy is that. I'll try it out in a few, waiting on dinner.
You only need to disconnect the negative terminal, good luck I hope it helps

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Power losses on a normally aspirated engine run about 3% per 1000' of increase in elevation. So for a quick example, if you were at sea level in Virginia, and now you are at 5000' feet, you lost about 59hp. Really. :eek:
Damn, how the hell am I suppose to even attempt getting that amount of power back? Thats crazy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Damn, how the hell am I suppose to even attempt getting that amount of power back? Thats crazy.
Hook up the air filter box with a small plastic hose , hook that up to one of them portable old folks oxygen tank deals and set to a slow bleed while your driving and wala dude.. your back in the hp black.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been always on the look for an affordable Supercharger, I guess it is time to start putting it back on the wish list. Lol
The reset for the lag helped alot, I am noticing that it is starting to feel a little more responsive so thank you all and I love this damn forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts