Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got the mod bug again I suppose (why can't I just leave my truck the way it is? lol).
I'm looking to get some Bushwhacker pocket-style fender flares and at first assumed that I would get color matching (i.e. Silver Sky). But it dawned on me that perhaps black would look better since it would have a contrasting color. Only thing is I've got most things in chrome and trying to do the fender flares in chrome would be just waaaaay too blingy for me. Does anybody think black would be a good idea? Or should I just stick with Silver Sky? I wish I had a pic of what it would look like... thoughts on this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Silver Sky or nothing. I wouldn't consider getting them unless your tires are sticking out past your fenders, otherwise it's ricey.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
nothign ricey about flares...

color matched would look best. with chrome doo dads here and there, the silver would look great. if u left the black handles and mirrors and all that then u could do black but it would look much better silver given your current settup.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
nothign ricey about flares...
Reread my entire post, "I wouldn't consider getting them unless your tires are sticking out past your fenders, otherwise it's ricey."

tires do not stick outside factory fender = country "rice"
tires stick outside of the factory fender = appropriate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Reread my entire post, "I wouldn't consider getting them unless your tires are sticking out past your fenders, otherwise it's ricey."

tires do not stick outside factory fender = country "rice"
tires stick outside of the factory fender = appropriate
i understand you woudlnt do it with tires that arent that wide...but to say ricey is kinda weird...ricey is a term used for civics and such with blingy lights and fart can mufflers...much like the exhaust tip i recall seeing on a black sequoia :) jk. but no, country rice doesnt make sense to me...but i get your drift....******* maybe...crappy probally, looks like chit most likely.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i understand you woudlnt do it with tires that arent that wide...but to say ricey is kinda weird...ricey is a term used for civics and such with blingy lights and fart can mufflers...much like the exhaust tip i recall seeing on a black sequoia :) jk. but no, country rice doesnt make sense to me...but i get your drift....******* maybe...crappy probally, looks like chit most likely.
Well, right now the tires are dead even with the side of the truck, but I'll probably put 1.5" wheel spacers (the kind that lock in and offset the bolts for the wheels) so they will take up most of the extra room under the fender flares.

Even though I do still have the black mirrors and handles, I'm seeing most people leaning towards the Silver Sky. I'm just concerned that color-keyed fender flares may not look quite as "tough" in the pocket-style look, but I'm not sure about that and if the black isn't "flat", that may look even more weird! :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
painted to match, says I

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Even though I do still have the black mirrors and handles, I'm seeing most people leaning towards the Silver Sky. I'm just concerned that color-keyed fender flares may not look quite as "tough" in the pocket-style look, but I'm not sure about that and if the black isn't "flat", that may look even more weird! :)
I personally like 1 or 2 colors max on a vehicle. With mine I have gone black/chrome, the best looking Tundra on this forum has a white/chrome theme going (I'll have to find a pic and add it to the bottom of this post). If you went with a Silver/chrome look it wouldn't be horrible. I'm not saying to go to PepBoys and add every chrome accessory they have but if you had chrome door handles/chrome mirror covers and the fender flares color matched silver (I believe they have fake rivets in them that are chrome), everything would tie in nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally like 1 or 2 colors max on a vehicle. With mine I have gone black/chrome, the best looking Tundra on this forum has a white/chrome theme going (I'll have to find a pic and add it to the bottom of this post). If you went with a Silver/chrome look it wouldn't be horrible. I'm not saying to go to PepBoys and add every chrome accessory they have but if you had chrome door handles/chrome mirror covers and the fender flares color matched silver (I believe they have fake rivets in them that are chrome), everything would tie in nicely.

That does look really good! Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the Silver Sky treatment as well... :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
There's a member on here that recently added the painted pocket flares to his Silver Sky DC... maybe Mendosy? Anyhow, it looks Grrrrrrrreat!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I the best looking Tundra on this forum has a white/chrome theme going
awwww shucks.....and thanks!!! hahahaha JK.......

but back to topic this is the truck that i think hands down, right now, its this truck perfect combo of chrome and silver and lift/tires IMO

·
Registered
134 Posts
colormatch fenders all the way, imho.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
but back to topic this is the truck that i think hands down, right now, its this truck perfect combo of chrome and silver and lift/tires IMO

[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, it depends on the theme of the truck... I like either way but for my truck, they'll have to be color matched. I was wondering if anyone knows what brand the flares are on the truck above? I love the b'wacker pockets but the above look awesome, too.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

In my opinion, it depends on the theme of the truck... I like either way but for my truck, they'll have to be color matched. I was wondering if anyone knows what brand the flares are on the truck above? I love the b'wacker pockets but the above look awesome, too.[/QUOTE]

I think those are the OEM fender flares like the kind available from TRDSparks. My wife likes those kind better than the pocket style (she doesn't like the bolted-on look). I'm a little undecided; at first I thought the OEM fender flares would look better on a truck that was dropped, not one that was slightly lifted, but the above picture looks pretty darn good to me!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have the TRDSPARKS OEM and love them, but my truck is dropped for the road racing look along with 22s!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I personally like 1 or 2 colors max on a vehicle. With mine I have gone black/chrome, the best looking Tundra on this forum has a white/chrome theme going
This is the best looking Tundra on this forum in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just another quick question regarding the fender flares... anybody know how much added coverage the OEM and Bushwhacker pocket-style flares add to the side of the body? I'm having a hard time find that info...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Just another quick question regarding the fender flares... anybody know how much added coverage the OEM and Bushwhacker pocket-style flares add to the side of the body? I'm having a hard time find that info...
Per the Bushwacker website, the pocket style add 2" and the factory look fender flares add 1".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts