Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to color match my stock black fading and beat up flares to match the white paint on my Tundra. I don't know if paint will stick well or hold up well on them. I was looking at the roll on Herculiner stuff thats about $140 for a gallon, and with that I'm thinking I could also do my rear bumper and pad, maybe the bed caps too. I just want to get rid of the white/black look and have it all white. I've heard a little about spray on plastic coating stuff too but not sure what that is like. I'm guessing the bedliner idea is going to be the most durable as long as it sticks to the plastic. I called the local Line-X dealer and they wanted $225 just to do the rear bumper, and they said it wouldn't stick to the plastic flares. Post up what you have done, how you did it, and some pics if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Wow, I can't believe we all let a brother down! No responses? NONE????!!!!

I'll tell you what I think, at least give some direction. I've done some painting with bed liner, you can check my new thread for that. I never used the white kind, there are two reasons for this.
1) I have seen it once and it looked a little funky. Didn't come close to matching paint color and looked a little yellow to be honest, dingy.
2) More obviously my truck is black. :rolleyes:

What I can tell you is if you plan on painting those bed caps with liner, pop them off carefully, sand and wash them. Let them dry up, blast them with an air compressor to get the dust off. Get a can of Dupli-color adhesion promoter and spray two even light coats, allow no more than 5 minutes dry time between coats. Then its time for paint, again no more than 5 minutes, if that adhesion promoter starts to dry, it won't bond your paint of choice to the plastic. I skipped the adhesion promoter on my bed caps, and got a light chip when I was hauling a 50gal water heater, I guess there is not stopping that. I did use the promoter on my side moldings and it came out better, no chips at all. Now I used black rattle can liner from rustoleum, suits me fine. If you want white, you'll have less luck.

As far as the flares, that's touchy. They will be prone to rock chips so if I were you I might just yank them and have them painted at mayco or whatever to match close to stock paint. The rest of the stuff, bed caps and area under fenders would look cool black I think. It's up to you.

If you have any questions, shoot a message my way or just post it. I have pics of my bed caps and moldings in my photo album, check them out. good luck.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Id bet you would wouldn't get the white to match dead on without getting a paint shop to paint and clear them. clear is pretty durable as I just have paint and clear on my wheels and they have no chips at all... If you do the box liner Id suggest sanding with like a 120-240 grit sandpaper for good adhesion. I haven't done anything in boxliner so cant really say for sure but these are just suggestions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not real worried about the white matching perfectly. The truck isn't perfect anyway. I just want it to be all white, since I'm a fan of having everything one color, that just looks the cleanest to me.

Thanks for the tips on the adhesive promoter. I'm assuming that will work just the same if I decide to use the roll on Herculiner? Its funny there just happened to be a Herculiner ad at the top of this page when I clicked on it haha. I will definitely be sanding everything I do the liner on, especially the front edges of the rear flares, they are pretty beat up and rough from rocks hitting them.

I have a couple off topic questions for you 2 guys after looking at your trucks.
Tundrunk - What are the specs on your lift/wheels/tires?
Erki - What did you use to tint your corner lenses? How did you do the black headlights? Did you just scuff and paint the chrome strip on the front bumper? And are the rubber gaskets between the flares and body gray or did you somehow make them white?

Thank you guys for the responses!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The chrome strip I sanded real good with 120, primed and sanded that in 500, then paint and clear coat. The rubber strips in the flares are gray. I put the flares on for a while without the rubber and if you wanted to leave them off the flares don't actually touch the truck with the way they snap into place. The only reason I put them back in is I didn't want water to get in and sit in there and rust it out under the flare.

Black headlights: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/174755-black-headlights-with-a-how-to/

Corner lenses: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/174113-smoked-signals-and-tail-lights/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts