Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 toyota tundra and im putting a procomp 6inch lift stage 2 and 35 nitto mudgrapplers by 12.50 wide if i dont have fender flares will it scratch up the side of my truck?? thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depends on what your wheel offset is. Just get some universal Clear Bra material and put them on your rocker panels... that solved my problem fast.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here's some for $25.50 with free shipping. (Rep points please.:laughing3d:)

Uncut Clear Bra Film 0.17mm thick - $25.50 for 10 Feet : eBay Motors (item 140362965819 end time Mar-26-10 03:59:33 PDT)

This should be enough since you can cut the 24" width into 3 sections of 8". I believe that's the height I went with from the bottom of the door, up. You might be fine with the offset that you have... it'll probably stick out about 1.5" maybe 2" because of the aggressive sidewall/shoulder on the tires. I doubt it'll throw the small rocks that cause the scratches. You need to worry about dents from the big rocks that'll get caught. :D j/k.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Here's some for $25.50 with free shipping. (Rep points please.:laughing3d:)

Uncut Clear Bra Film 0.17mm thick - $25.50 for 10 Feet : eBay Motors (item 140362965819 end time Mar-26-10 03:59:33 PDT)

This should be enough since you can cut the 24" width into 3 sections of 8". I believe that's the height I went with from the bottom of the door, up. You might be fine with the offset that you have... it'll probably stick out about 1.5" maybe 2" because of the aggressive sidewall/shoulder on the tires. I doubt it'll throw the small rocks that cause the scratches. You need to worry about dents from the big rocks that'll get caught. :D j/k.
that stuff is the crap stuff....paper thin "paint protection" more like stickers hahaha...get 3M stuff if u want protection.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Unless you offroad at higher speeds you probably won't damage your paint. But you never know :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
that stuff is the crap stuff....paper thin "paint protection" more like stickers hahaha...get 3M stuff if u want protection.
Granted it's not as thick as the 3M material, it'll still do the job if all you want to do it protect the sides from scratches and small chips. I did the puncture test with a key just like what 3M did and it's still tough to break through it. $300 for 3M was too steep for me so I opted for this.. I'm glad I did because it's holding up great and has been protecting my rocker panels for over a year now. :tu: Plus I used the $275 that I saved towards a tonneau cover. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Granted it's not as thick as the 3M material, it'll still do the job if all you want to do it protect the sides from scratches and small chips. I did the puncture test with a key just like what 3M did and it's still tough to break through it. $300 for 3M was too steep for me so I opted for this.. I'm glad I did because it's holding up great and has been protecting my rocker panels for over a year now. :tu: Plus I used the $275 that I saved towards a tonneau cover. :D
as we all agree the 3m tape is better, however I do believe that any protection is better than none. With that said many body shops are using these films now and applying them to vehicles as does my local vinyl shop.
I do have to disagree with the comment that as long as you don't do serious offroading your fine. Rain has stripped the clear coat from my tacoma's tires overhang in a short period of time.
Lastly there is always the ever cheapest but affective option of a mud guard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts