Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, happy new Tundra owner and forum member here with my first post and question. I know there are many past threads regarding fender flares, but I have a question that I have not found the answer to. I am usually a long term owner of vehicles and have owned most of my cars from 7 to as much as 12 years. I have purchased the Tundra (a black 4X4 CM) with hopes of keeping it somewhere in this same time frame.

Based upon my review of past threads, I ordered the OEM style flares (if there is such a thing) from Sparks. On first inspection, the base material is whiteish gray in color, painted black on what would be the outside. On my attempt to dry fit the first flare, I slightly touched the ends of the flare on the concrete. This took the paint off and exposed the white/gray base material. No big deal, it was just a little bit right on the ends, one of which is basically under the truck. My question here is do they scratch easily and will I end up with something that is full of white scratches over a short amount of time? The paint looks to be none too thick and with the white base material, I could see this being a problem in a short period of time. If the base material was black, it probably would not be such an issue. I am usually pretty good to my belongings and not abusive, but I do go off road a little and would hate to have every little branch that you might drive by take the paint off. I guess I am asking if this has been an issue for anyone?

The second question is about corrosion. I live near the gulf coast and occaisonally drive the beach and am around salt water. I never drive through the salt water and always rinse my vehicle and undercarriage after a trip to the beach.

The new flares require some small metal clips to attach the front flares. I could see these clips potentially rusting away in a short period of time especially with a little exposure to salt air. Additionally, I am concerned that the flare may trap moisture and causing corrosion around the fender. Before recieving the flares, I was not aware exactly how they would attach and that they actually cover that much of the exterior of the vehicle's fenders.

Am I being overly concerned about these issues? If I install these on my truck, I just want to feel like they will hold up for the long haul and not end up being something that I will end up have to take to the body shop to fix within five years because they look bad.

I look forward to your replys.

Thanks for your help.

Brad

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've had mine for some time without any major scratching issues..... Your questions about trapping salt water against the body as well as the clips is a valid concern, but something you'll just have to pay attention to. Your time consuming alternative is to remove them after every trip to the beach or get the pressure washer into every possible crevice....

Good Luck...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a black Tundra with flares for two years. No problems with the flares. Your real problem will be keeping the black looking nice after off roading. Good luck with that.:wallbang:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the paint on the flares is honestly probally just as good as the paint on the truck. neither will hold up to a branch touching it. especially on a black vehicle. so....dont scrape against trees and grass and stuff if u want it to remain scratch free. :) the clips n stuff could be an issue....w/o knowing what kind of clips they are ( i dont have the flares) i dont know what to suggest...are they finished (painted/powdercoated, etc), u could get them powdercoated to help if they are just bare metal. as stated before the biggest deal will be keeping it clean and dry....they should come with SS hardware in my opinion but likely do not. good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the hardware and it is all carbon steel painted black, not stainless. I could upgrade some of the screws with stainless possibly, but the clips seem to be spring steel and would be hard to reproduce in stainless. I guess I will let them sit in the garage for a while and see if I feel good about mounting them later. After test mounting the one flare, I just did get a good feeling that this would be a solid long term modification. Although it is good to hear that others have had good experiences.

Thanks for everyones response.

Brad

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have another fender flare question. I to got the set of 4 flares some sparks and now thinking about getting a Fab fours winch bumper or expedition one bumper. the front 2 flares will not work with these aftermarket bumpers because they extend below the headlights in the front. will i need to replace all for flares with bushwacker oe style or will the front buchwackers match the rear sparks? any info would be great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Standard Bushwackers and Sparks are two different animals.. with the latter being the OEM design which matches Sparks (probably made by the same manuf). With the aggressive bumper, Bushwackers would be my choice. (other then their OE Style shown here)
Bushwacker

Sparks

** On second thought, you should be able to get away with it. Checked out Fab Four.. the front end of the flare terminates at the same spot.

For the OP, use "Salt Away" spray. Used by many fisherman on their gear. Works well.
Salt-Away Home Page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts