Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I changed over my front shocks to Bilstein 5100's yesterday on the middle notch to level the truck. I also installed the RevTek Diff Drop to compensate for that and attempted the boot mod. I put the clamps around the CV boot closest to the differential because you could turn it by hand. It hadn't spit any grease and still hasn't but did I do that right?

Also, while I was under there I noticed my upper ball joints had been spitting grease for quite a while. The ball joint is still good with no play in it but the boot has splits in it. Can I just replace the boot without pressing the whole joint out? Because if I press it out I might as well replace it anyway.

Also, will I need an alignment if I do the ball joints? I need to decide if I should get one after or before because I need one regardless due to the shocks.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I changed over my front shocks to Bilstein 5100's yesterday on the middle notch to level the truck. I also installed the RevTek Diff Drop to compensate for that and attempted the boot mod. I put the clamps around the CV boot closest to the differential because you could turn it by hand. It hadn't spit any grease and still hasn't but did I do that right?

Also, while I was under there I noticed my upper ball joints had been spitting grease for quite a while. The ball joint is still good with no play in it but the boot has splits in it. Can I just replace the boot without pressing the whole joint out? Because if I press it out I might as well replace it anyway.

Also, will I need an alignment if I do the ball joints? I need to decide if I should get one after or before because I need one regardless due to the shocks.

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like you did the boot mod correctly. I personally recommend only doing the mod on the upper part of the inner boots by the diff. when I did the boot mod i did the bottom part of the boot as well, rookie mistake, the clamp was too wide and ended up splitting the boot all the way around at the bottom and I just recently replaced the whole CV axle. The top clamp on the inner CV boot is all you should need leave the others alone IMO.

not sure about the ball joints, it will depend if they are the stock bjs or not but it sounds to me that you should consider replacing in the near future.

Definitely get an alignment. It is recommended that you get an alignment done after installation of the 5100's and I would do it again after you do the bjs. Whenever you have any type of front end work done it is highly recommended you get an alignment since most any work will throw it off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you did the boot mod correctly. I personally recommend only doing the mod on the upper part of the inner boots by the diff. when I did the boot mod i did the bottom part of the boot as well, rookie mistake, the clamp was too wide and ended up splitting the boot all the way around at the bottom and I just recently replaced the whole CV axle. The top clamp on the inner CV boot is all you should need leave the others alone IMO.

not sure about the ball joints, it will depend if they are the stock bjs or not but it sounds to me that you should consider replacing in the near future.

Definitely get an alignment. It is recommended that you get an alignment done after installation of the 5100's and I would do it again after you do the bjs. Whenever you have any type of front end work done it is highly recommended you get an alignment since most any work will throw it off.
Thank you for the help! I'm glad I did the boot mod correctly! I'm going for an alignment (with djs specs for them to hopefully use) today. I will probably do the whole ball joints soon since they are stock with 156,000 miles on them. I may wait a few months though since I will need another alignment. Gotta stockpile my money haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have a Firestone around you can get a lifetime alignment for around $200. That means you could get it aligned every week and never pay again. Might be worth saving the pennies for this.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The boot mad is good and the boot can be replaced without pressing the boot out but you might as well replace it since the boot comes with the new ball. Go with moog parts fwiw

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts