Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 06 TRD tundra access cab 4x4 w/ 120000 miles, for just about a month now and I have a few questions.

The gas mileage has been between 16 and 17 mpg on the highway at reasonable speeds (65-75 mph) with cruise control set. Seems to me those numbers should be a little better than that but I may be wrong. I might need new spark plugs, Im not sure if they have ever been replaced.

How do these trucks do on synthetic oil, I've thought of converting to it on my first oil change.

I noticed the other day that the mileage isnt correct on the odometer. For every 100 miles it is 4 mile slow. ( in 100 land miles the truck shows 96) It has factory size tires that are fairly new. Any ideas what could be causing this problem. Or on how to fix it.

Thanks for any help people are willing to give.:afro:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
What kind of mileage did you expect in a 4X4 truck? When you add in the 4%, it's 16.6-17.7. You're getting better mpg than alot of people on here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use sythetic oil and use synthetic lubes in the gearboxes and transfer case. I get from 16-21 (depending on speed, wind) on the highway and 13-15 in town. Can't answer about the odometer. Check your odometer against a GPS to confirm that variation. Mine is a few tenths off in 100 miles, is all. Doubt new plugs would make that much difference unless they've never been changed. Clean or change you air filter and clean the throttle body(TB) and Mass Air flow sensor(MAF). If you have a K&N or TRD filter, throw it away and go OEM. Most likely culprits are TB and MAF.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
full synthetics everywhere, clean TB and MAF, fresh plugs and filters (air and fuel), along with a little over-inflation on the tires and you'll see the best mileage possible with a light foot on the pedal. if it were my truck, it run some seafoam through it before doing the above. enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys:

I was hoping for around 18 to 19 on the highway, this is my first V8 4x4 so I didnt know exactly what to expect. I'm glad to hear that its onpar with the mileage others have been getting. I'll try the over inflated tires and basic tune up to see if it gets anything better for me.

I know the airfilter isnt a K&N but dont know how to tell if its TRD. Would it say it somewhere on the airfilter?

As far as the odometer reading, I clocked it with both milemarkers and GPS so Im sure of the numbers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A TRD is basically the same as a K&N. You have to re-oil it periodically. You would see the difference between it and an OEM. The tendency is to over oil them and then the excess oil blows through to the MAF, fowling it and playing hell with your mileage.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It would take about a 2 inch height difference in the tires to make a 6% difference so something is out of place there. Run
Synthetics if you can afford them. Run them in the motor even if you can't. They are that much better. If the air cleaner box is
there you can put a stock filter in it. My truck goes from 15-21 mpg based on terrain and speed. At 55-60 it gets 21, in the mountains at 75+ it gets 15-16. I am sure that with ethanol the milage is off 10% or so as well. I would rather pay for that crap
and have them leave it out than put it in the truck, it would be cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts