Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She had a minor fender bender, her fault, in the Crewmax while I'm out of town for a few months for work. She was panicking on facebook and sending me upset texts while I was at work saying how sorry she was, and trying to find out from other people I'm with how mad I seemed when I found out. I guess she knows how into my vehicles I am and how obsessive I am about keeping them looking good and getting little dings fixed. She figured I'd go crazy and rip her a new one on the phone because she's flown off the handle over smaller stuff than that. I was stuck at work and unable to answer so I think she thought I was so mad I was ignoring her calls and texts.

I called when I finally got off work and told her I am annoyed the truck's damaged and upset that it might affect my insurance, but glad it was only minor with no unjuries. It's a thing, it's fixable, and it's more important that she knows I'm not gonna crucify her over an honest mistake. It'd be different if she took a baseball bat to it or drove it drunk or something, but crap like this happens.

I gave her blanket permission to use it as needed before I left and that won't change. She's essential personel but unfortunately she doesn't have the greatest snow vehicle for getting to work in the weather that's hit us lately. If I was there her car would stay parked and I'd be driving her to and from work every day in bad snows like this.

I just basically told her do her best to get it all squared away and try and have my truck fixed soon as possible and also make sure the other involved parties get taken care of. And that's all we can do. But I made it clear I really would rather not come home to a damaged truck. She's assured me it'll be taken care of by the time I hit town again. I come out looking like a saint over something stupid and also get to bank the 'forgiveness' points, as I'm sure I'll need them in the future.

As long as she needs it its at her disposal and I trust her enough not to sit there like a nervous wreck every time she takes it out but... I think when she goes for a new vehicle next year I will definitely push for some sort of 4x4 crossover so she has less need for mine. It's an uphill fight, as she always said if there's already a 4x4 pickup in the family then she can go for something small and sporty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you handled it well. I would of told her to wear an umpire mask, because I'm coming home and punching her in the face!!!! J/K. :D

That sucks and I hope it gets taken care of ASAP.

·
Registered
136 Posts
YOu handled that like a man. Good on you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah she felt bad enough as it was that I didn't feel I need to add to it. Apparantly she was parked next to some really REALLY old lady (late 70s/80s) in an Avalon who'd never been in an accident before. The old lady started pulling out a few seconds before my fiance did and ended up in the truck's blind spot. I guess the 'soon-to-be' didn't look at that side closely enough, just threw it in reverse and went. She took off the old lady's driver's side mirror and nailed her fender with some pretty good sheet metal and paint damage. From her description I have a big scratch/scuff that needs to be buffed out or possibly repainted and a busted tail light. She already felt REALLY bad that the old lady was so scared and shaken by it. I have done plenty of dumb crap just like it myself so couldn't really preach.

I guess the truck's finally broken in now. With less than 10,000 miles and right before her first birthday. Since she needs to fix the tail light anyway for it to pass inspection which is due late this month, the tail light lense, annual inspection, oil change, and gas pedal issue will all be handled for me before I get home, hopefully along with the paint damage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You handled it well... One thing I cant trust my wife (or anyone) driving mine is the snow is that she might forget to switch it back to 2WD when she hits a dry surface while making a turn... This is the reason Im getting her and AWD Lex RX

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You handled it well... One thing I cant trust my wife (or anyone) driving mine is the snow is that she might forget to switch it back to 2WD when she hits a dry surface while making a turn... This is the reason Im getting her and AWD Lex RX

Funny you should say that. I specifically reminded her last night to take it out of 4x4 when she gets home every night. She asked why, if there was anything to be damaged by leaving it in 4x4 with the truck off. I just told her getting into the habit would make it less likely she'd forget, jump back in it when the roads were dry, and start driving in 4x4 mode. Geez now you got me stressed out again wondering if she remembered everything I told her about the appropriate use of 4x4.

·
Registered
655 Posts
my girl took my truck threw a car wash "i have +12 off set wheels,at this time it was on stock tires" and the car wash took all the paint off the lip of the rim,she called me crying asking me if she should pack her stuff up and move out.she was just tryn to be nice,i felt so bad cuz she was so upset,i wasnt mad at all,its an easy fix.needless to say she wont wash my truck anymore.lol.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Man, I sure hope you didn't leave a dog with her to care for. Dog & truck run neck & neck....til you get married :ballchain:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Sound's like you handled it pretty well. It's one of those "oh well" things where there's nothing to be accomplished by fighting about it now. As far as getting it fixed before you get home, not sure I would have done that. Thinking I may have just taken care of it myself or drove it until I could get it in. As long as it's driveable, insurance will take care of the cosmetics. Sounds like a good hurdle for you two to go through before you tie the knot. Good luck with your truck and your upcoming marriage.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
better than i would have.

my wife hydroplaned in her car (our car techincally) when she had her sebring and busted two rims.... that was 2 years ago. i still remind her to stay out of water puddles that are big and to slow down. she refuses to admit she was going too fast for the conditions. she said she just was driving slow and the water grabbed her car and pulled her on the curb. i keep teling her the only reason you hydroplane is you are going too fast for the conditions (tires were fine btw), whether thats conditions of the road, or the car.

but she knew then to call and say "um...honey...dont get mad...but....ok...remember dont get mad....but...i scratched a wheel...." she actually busted two, not just little scratches. oh well.

i guess i would be one to overreact and blow up.

ur a better man than i am. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got taught this lesson when I was 17. I fell asleep when driving home from work at 4AM and removed a fire hydrant with a Cadillac. The first thing my dad asked when I called was if I was OK. Didn't say anything about the car. I later paid to fix the car when I joined the Army and drove it until it succumbed to general '80's GM crappiness.

I think if my girl wrecked my truck, i'd have to yell "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" really loud, and then say "I'm not mad at you. I'm mad, but not at you. It happens." and then let the insurance handle it. So you did better than I probably would.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
You handled it better than I might have. My family runs and hides when something happens to one of my vehicles. the best was a year ago when my son ditched school 9the day after i told him not to) and went to a different school with a buddy. As they were leaving my son was "T Boned" totalling his Isuzu Rodeo (still drivable but wasy jacked up). He called me at work and the first thing he said was "dad, your gonna kill me but, I f***ed up", I stayed calm (what else was I gonna do) and went up to check on him. The girl that hit him was pregnant and was hauled away in an amublance (she and the baby were okay, just a precaution). My son was not hurt in the accident but in the aftermath when he realised what happened and he hit his windshield.

Needless to say he has a new respect for vehicles (he had to spend part of the summer at his uncles doing yard work to earn the car) he treat my vehicles and his moms with great pride.

Glad nobody was hurt and that it is all fixable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would take the biggest gun I own. I would drive till I find a little cute fluffy bunnie. AND I WOULD TAKE MY ANGER OUT ON THAT:devil: No I am just joking. I would just hold it in cause it could happen to me too.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You did damn good :tu:

Much better then I did when mine blew a $40K motor on the Pro Car
then backed the trailer into some guys dressed HD,
ON THE SAME NIGHT!!! you damn right women are expensive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man, I know your truck evidently means alot to you, and mine means alot to me too. However these are just objects. This woman - someone you've picked out of millions of other women to be part of you for maybe the rest of your life, is a million times more important than some stupid little accident in the parking lot. Your going to own many, many more trucks, cars, heck even a minivan in your lifetime. But, if things work out with you and your lady, she'll be there through the thick and thin. Just remember that. If your more concerned over your truck, than her, maybe you ought to re-think her?

I'm just say'n - people in our lives should be much more important than inannimat objects, that can always be fixed, replaced or discarded.

Now, with that said, Get her the hell out of your truck!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Luckily, this didn't happen to her:

Belongs to a member of TT. He said the wife borrowed it to run some errands. After telling her to be careful...:eek:

Nobody got hurt. This was in winter 08-09.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Luckily, this didn't happen to her:

Belongs to a member of TT. He said the wife borrowed it to run some errands. After telling her to be careful...:eek:

Nobody got hurt. This was in winter 08-09.
Blood is thicker than water, but this one just brings tears to my eyes..........

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to blow up over anything my wife would do to our vehicles.... but I guess I've grown up a little or maybe I figured out that its just a vehicle and its not something to be hung up on.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The thing that chaps my a** with the wife now is that she will let a problem go on with her vehicle forever and on the chance I drive it two months later, I figure out the tranny's slipping because there is no fluid from her running the front end into the snow bank and busting loose the trans radiator lines:mad: "Didn't you notice the RPM's going up and you not moving?" "What are RPM's?" "I didn't notice anything". My 9 year old daughter comes and tells me "Mom's car is bleeding". Overall, she's a keeper but hafta keep on her about if anything is wrong with her vehicle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts