Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,some good info here on this site. I have a 4x4 Crew Max on order and should have it sometime next month. Does anyone have info about putting a fith wheel hitch on the new Tundras? And what would it do to the tow rating.
Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello,some good info here on this site. I have a 4x4 Crew Max on order and should have it sometime next month. Does anyone have info about putting a fith wheel hitch on the new Tundras? And what would it do to the tow rating.
Thanks,
Jon

I've been looking into it, I'm in the same boat. 5er hitch options in our tiny box looks like it may not be do-able. There is another thread here somewhere.
Also check out RV.Net : RV Accessories, Supplies, Classifieds, Insurance, Financing & More - good forum but most of them think you "need" a dually diesel...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think you should be able to get the universal rail kit & install the hitch on that.

I know with the CM, you will have to go with the swing away type hitch so you can turn without taking out the cab.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would NOT even consider pulling a 5er w/ a 5.5' bed under any circumstances. Even w/ a sliding hitch I don't think you'll have enough clearance for the cab when turning. A 6.5' bed would be the minimum I would consider. You would still need a sliding hitch w/ that size bed just to be safe.

·
Registered
935 Posts
besides the cab and slider hitch you need to make sure the pin sits at the right place in relation to the axle

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I know, i put a b&w turnover ball gooseneck in my 02 AC. Talk about close.....no way i could do a 90 degree when backing up. I had to have my wife or son watch when i backed up the trailer.
I had 28" between the top of the cab & the trailer, minimum i was told is 26".
I also only had 30" between the cab & the ball. My new tundra w/ 6.5' bed has 40". So i think i'll be much better off, don't know if i'll be able to do a 90, but we'll see.

I know the Dodge short box is thee worst for 5er's. But they still put the slider hitch in them.
All the other half ton 4-door's i seen would not work period. It looked like they all had between 24 & 30" between cab & axle.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The longbed '07 Tundra has the axle way, way in the back (farther than Ford Superduty). Just compare the two trucks side by side (say a DCab longbed Tundra and an Extended Cab longbed F-250). You will see a longer wheelbase with much farther aft axle placement on the Tundra (with comensurate reduction in rear overhang). I think that Toyota may expect the longbed to do most of the 5th wheel/gooseneck work and with the axle placement they should do very well indeed. That's not going to help any Crewmax folks.

I read in the forums that Toyota's 5th wheel accessory hitch will only be designated for the longbed model (although this won't keep folks from buying a fully-engineered hitch in the aftermarket). The 6.5 bed should do admirably with a slider.

We converted our RV 5th wheel hitch to gooseneck for convinience of compatibilty with our existing utility gooseneck trailers. I haven't installed a gooseneck hitch on my Tundra yet but expect to use a B&W roll-over system or Pop-Up gooseneck hitch. I don't know if the models for the '07 Tundra are ready yet.

It's been hard enough finding things like Husky Liners floor mats (released now). I am also waiting in the wings for a real "wheel-to-wheel" step bar and proper headache rack. Stopped by the Ranchhand store in Boerne, TX today on my way through and they acted like I was in the wrong store (might as well told them I wanted a headache wrack for a Mini Cooper). The only thing they had to fit a Tundra (of any vintage) was a dropped camoflauged hitch to pin into the rear receiver, which I passed on. More of the pleasures of being an "early adopter". ;)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What do you know about the 5th wheel hitch through toyota?

If you look at the 6.5 bed & the 8' bed underneath anyway, they look identical.

I hope b&w gets their $h!t together on the turnover ball. We're planning a camping trip the end of April & i need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,
Jon
Thanks everyone,I guess I'll stay with my old trailor with weigth distro.

·
Toy Junkie
249 Posts
I've been working on this same issue for a long time. I have a 5er that I towed with my 03 tundra and now with an 01 silverado. The clearance from the axle to cab on the chev is 40". The tundra was 36". I wouldn't go lower than that. The new Chevy 66" box has the same 36" from axle to cab that the tundra access cab had.

I haven't measured a new double cab but I wouldn't seriously consider putting a 5er hitch in a crew max. There just isn't enough room from the axle to the cab. Additionally, there isn't enough cargo capacity on the rear axle to deal with the pin weight.

j

·
Toy Junkie
249 Posts
IF and right now it's a big IF in my mind, Toyota builds a Mega cab with a 78" box, there may be enough room to mount a 5er hitch and pull a small trailer.

Given the RAWR you would still be limited to about 5000#s of trailer, but you should have the clearances you need between the cab and the trailer. (Unless you have a trailer with an overhang in front of the pin.)

By the boxes and wheelbases in production, that configuration should provide the same 39" between the axle and the cab that the Double cab has now. 27" between the pin and the cab in the 66" box is not enough.

Jason

·
Registered
302 Posts
I towed a 4800 pound fiver with a V6 T-100 extra cab thousands of miles. Don't tell me the DC 5.7 is limited to 5000 pounds!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
IF and right now it's a big IF in my mind, Toyota builds a Mega cab with a 66" box, there may be enough room to mount a 5er hitch and pull a small trailer.

Given the RAWR you would still be limited to about 5000#s of trailer, but you should have the clearances you need between the cab and the trailer. (Unless you have a trailer with an overhang in front of the pin.)

By the boxes and wheelbases in production, that configuration should provide the same 39" between the axle and the cab that the Double cab has now.

Jason
66" = 5.5 foot bed
I would think that you'd have about 27" from axle to cab with that bed in the crewmax. Let me know if i'm wrong here.
The CM is the exact same frame as my DC, but you lose 12" of bed. Which in turn would reduce the axle to cab distance.
I have a DC with 39" from axle to front inside of bed, my 02 AC had 29-30". According to the trailer place, my 02 was 2" over minimum requirement from top of cab to trailer which is 26". ( I beleive it was 26" ) So i was 28".
My new DC should be 38", hopefully.

·
Toy Junkie
249 Posts
I towed a 4800 pound fiver with a V6 T-100 extra cab thousands of miles. Don't tell me the DC 5.7 is limited to 5000 pounds!!
Well I towed a D8 to alaska with my titan, but I can't tell you that's safe.

With roughly 900lbs of pin weight a full tank of fuel, a wife, some firewood and a cooler, you're overweight in a 2003 tundra access cab. You may have reloaded your trailer to limit the pin weight, but you either weren't safe, or you weren't legal. Those are two different things, but it's your insurance policy.

I own a 4000lb 5er that I towed (for thousands of miles) with my supercharged '03 access cab. I can honestly say that I would not put a larger trailer behind that chassis. Further I could not put any more trailer on the truck without exceeding the RAWR.

IF you're planning on towing legally, get a fifth wheel with less than 1000 lbs of pin weight (roughly a 5000 lb trailer) and leave yourself the 600 lbs of remaining GVWR for coolers, passengers, fuel, chains and firewood. OR buy a travel trailer.

If you're not concerned abour axle weights or GVWR then fill your boots and carry a camera to take a picture of the carnage and the scale fines.

·
Toy Junkie
249 Posts
66" = 5.5 foot bed
I would think that you'd have about 27" from axle to cab with that bed in the crewmax. Let me know if i'm wrong here.
The CM is the exact same frame as my DC, but you lose 12" of bed. Which in turn would reduce the axle to cab distance.
I have a DC with 39" from axle to front inside of bed, my 02 AC had 29-30". According to the trailer place, my 02 was 2" over minimum requirement from top of cab to trailer which is 26". ( I beleive it was 26" ) So i was 28".
My new DC should be 38", hopefully.

Yep. Yer right. I don't think the 27" is enough. The 38/40" is good as the DC provides. But that bed on the Mega Cab provides a 242" truck that doesn't fit in the garage.

I'm looking at a 2500HD or 3500 Cummins. It's going to cost me in the long run, but I can't get the payload in a toyota.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Darn - the "weight police" write another ticket! The 4800 was loaded for travel. NC to Rocky Mountain Park, Utah, South FL, Montreal, etc. with never a problem - I don't think a Mack is needed in all cases. The T100 was rated to tow 5k if I recall correctly.

·
Toy Junkie
249 Posts
It's unfortunate that they don't weight recreational vehicles in Alberta until there's an accident. And once there's an accident it's too late. Hopefully no-one gets hurt by your lack of care and concern. At some point your seat of the pants engineering doesn't seem to make the damage and pain go away. "It felt safe when I was pulling it." doesn't cut it when the brakes won't slow it down or the hitch sheers off. Don't try those theories in BC. Once you're weighed and told you're over, it's up to you to hire someone to retrieve your RV because they won't let you pull it away over weight. What a wonderfull way to enforce responsibility and care.

My loved ones will not be at risk because I overload my truck or trailer. I hope yours stay safe regardless. Engineered weight ratings are not just guidelines, they're safe limits for the vehicle to operate. There's a margin built in for hitting huge bumps, getting in accidents and running off the road.

As someone who tows in traffic around town I can genuinely say that towing overweight and undertrucked is a time bomb. You may think you're smarter than traffic, but it will catch up with you. I hope you're alone when it happens and the vehicle you hit unoccupied.

Being concious about the capacity of your vehicle is one thing. Conciously breaking the law and exceeding the capacity of your vehicle is another. The difference between the two could be a couple of years in jail. Don't roll the dice, the new Tundra isn't worth it. Besides you will void your warranty and you will break things.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It's unfortunate that they don't weight recreational vehicles in Alberta until there's an accident. And once there's an accident it's too late. Hopefully no-one gets hurt by your lack of care and concern. At some point your seat of the pants engineering doesn't seem to make the damage and pain go away. "It felt safe when I was pulling it." doesn't cut it when the brakes won't slow it down or the hitch sheers off. Don't try those theories in BC. Once you're weighed and told you're over, it's up to you to hire someone to retrieve your RV because they won't let you pull it away over weight. What a wonderfull way to enforce responsibility and care.

My loved ones will not be at risk because I overload my truck or trailer. I hope yours stay safe regardless. Engineered weight ratings are not just guidelines, they're safe limits for the vehicle to operate. There's a margin built in for hitting huge bumps, getting in accidents and running off the road.

As someone who tows in traffic around town I can genuinely say that towing overweight and undertrucked is a time bomb. You may think you're smarter than traffic, but it will catch up with you. I hope you're alone when it happens and the vehicle you hit unoccupied.

Being concious about the capacity of your vehicle is one thing. Conciously breaking the law and exceeding the capacity of your vehicle is another. The difference between the two could be a couple of years in jail. Don't roll the dice, the new Tundra isn't worth it. Besides you will void your warranty and you will break things.
good post, food for thought.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 07 5.7 DC short box 2wd.
I am going to get a lite toy box type trailer.
should i get a trailer or 5th wheel?
trailer is about 2,000 lbs lighter no real bed room just rear bunks.
5th wheel about 8 feet longer but its a 5th wheel so total is close...
It has a bed room with rear bunks. I would like the 5th wheel i think it would tow better than a trailer would.
I would put the same load in both.
I Know that these spec's are not REAL specifications just a starting point.
21 foot trailer axle weight plus hitch weight 3575+705 = 4280 dry dry
28 foot 5th AW+HW= 4940+1235 = 6175 DRY DRY DRY DRY
I know i still have to add extra bunk gen air 2nd lp tank plus all the BEER water food dirtbikes ect ect i was just looking at a starting point.

5thwheel or tow ?

thanks
Dave

1 - 20 of 41 Posts