Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm crazy........ but I paid 30K for my 05 Tundra and I'm doing my best to keep it looking good as long as I can. When ever I go to a store, etc, I'm the one that parks a mile from the door. Several times a week, I examine my truck for dents and scuff marks. I literally become outraged when I discover a new scuff mark. I found a small scuff mark this evening. When my blood pressure goes down, I always ask myself "how difficult is it to open a car door and not hit the next vehicle?" I'm just glad I've never been sitting in my truck when someone actually banged their door against my truck. I know that vehicle/roadway accidents happen, but how stupid do you have to be if you can't park next to a vehicle without hitting it with your door when you are exiting your own vehicle?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I feel your pain. It is not the fact of it being to hard to control your door it is the udder disrespect for others peoples property. I have not had it happen to my truck but it has happened to my wife's Sequoia (not sure if she parks as far away from civilization as I do) a couple of times. It has not happened to me like I said but if I do come out and there is a spot on my door from the vehicle that is still next to me I am going to put a nice dent in their door via my size 15s. :devil:

·
Registered
573 Posts
pretty stupid..........thats all i can say, i saw it happen today to mine.........and i wanted to go out and kill them, but they were white trash with an out of state plate, so what can ya do?...they don't take care of their own stuff, so why bother with anyone elses? drives me to drink.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy........I know that vehicle/roadway accidents happen, but how stupid do you have to be if you can't park next to a vehicle without hitting it with your door when you are exiting your own vehicle?
Rhetorical question?? I dunno

I used to give a crap about my cars when I was younger. Now, my vehicles are lucky if I run them through the $5 auto wash once a month. Not worth the effort because no matter how hard I tried, the dings showed up. F-it dude, it's just a truck. And when you go to sell it, you'll find people aren't willing to pony up more than a few extra lint balls for a vehicle in meticulous shape.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Im anal about my truck two. I bought my truck with 6067.00 miles when I saw the truck in the light the dealer had a local body shop take care of the dents before I signed the papers. I have one small ding on the out side of the bed the dent man wanted $250.00. I can live with the dent. Years ago before my mom passed away she asked me If I Owend the truck or did the truck own me ?????? Just a thought BB KID :D :D :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always park out in BFE and usually angle park taking up a couple of spots, no other cars are out there and plenty of spots are open right. Then why every now and then is some piece of sh#$ parked next to me (and I mean close) when I come out of the store.
As someone stated before, people don't respect their own property so they sure as hell don't care about yours.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I always park out in BFE and usually angle park taking up a couple of spots, no other cars are out there and plenty of spots are open right. Then why every now and then is some piece of sh#$ parked next to me (and I mean close) when I come out of the store.
As someone stated before, people don't respect their own property so they sure as hell don't care about yours.
I am the same way, I park far away for 2 reasons...
Take care of the ride
and a little exercise

People think I am nuts, but my truck looks good, and I am not a grossly overweight slob like the door dinger jockying for the first and closest parking stall at the grocery store [while on a cell phone].

back on track, I was parked in no mans land, and somebody did the same with an old dodge dart. @ 1974 or so. I am just goofy enough...I drop the tailgate and wait.
After getting to "Know" the person that owned the car, and "discussing" it a bit, It was brought to my attention that his body panels were ALL perfectly straight, just needed a paint job. Inside was TITS. Perfect.
He was doing the same as me, and knowing I'd likely NOT his his ride, he said he was trying to protect HIS driver side by moving closer to me.
I can understand that logic, but dang dude almost got us both sent home with busted knuckles and sore jaws.

I am losing that caring with the 06 tundra though. I still park far away, but with this cheap paint jumping off at every given opportunity, I am losing interest in protecting it. It's not even a year old and needs a paint job...:mad: BUT the body panels are STILL straight.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Mine's used for hunting & fishing, in addition to being my daily driver. If I put dents or scratches in it so be it. I try not to but, well, stuff happens. I still park out in BFE or beyond. I don't want anyone else hitting it. I have a short fuse when dealing with the "takers" in life. I will never understand them;fractured DNA?, hormonal leprosy?, synapse backfire? No. It's just terminal a$$holeism. I used to like pretty vehicles. This time I got a Plain Jane color that I don't spend much time fussing over. Oh, there's wax down there somewhere. But if you open the hood it's nice & clean in there. The mechanical stuff is well cared for. Priorities, I guess. As far as parking goes, I have to say, "Far out, man". A little walk is good for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other than trying to park in BFE when you're in town, I guess there's not much else we can do. If I was super rich, maybe it wouldn't bother me. I'm just trying to keep my truck looking descent when I make the 60th payment. I'd hate to keep paying notes on a vehicle if it looked like it was run through a barb wire factory. My wife keeps telling me that I place too much value in inanimate objects.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been on the door dinger side. My kids and other kids that ride in whatever vehicle I/YOU have do not understand that MOST doors will spring open and therefore smack into the vehicle next to them. More then once i have had to smack my kids around for giving the door a little push open then all of a sudden the spring takes affect and bam, right into the car next to us. And of course one time and the guy (owner) was sitting in his van. This happened at D-Land in So-Cal. The ding was crazy large. the door caught his fender about an inch from max swing out, so it dug in good. I jumped out started bitching at my kid for being dumb, Kid started crying, that made the owner feel bad and said to forget it and enjoy D-land. What a great guy. AS he walked away he said "man my wife is going to be pissed, lets go have fun!!"

So it is not always some *** trying to be a jerk. It could be some kid that does not get it yet. And yes I have seen the asses parked next to a car that was probably a little to far to one side, and bam nice hard hit from the ***. Of course once they walk away I will put a note on the other persons car telling them where their new dent came from. AND THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS PARK IN THE BACK AWAY FROM OTHERS.
For those of you that say hey it just a brand new $30,000 dollar truck WHO CARES! You are probably the guys that do it the most, SINCE YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR CARS. . Must be nice to be rich or just ?????.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I agree that it's probably kids that cause many accidental door dings. It's hard not to be infuriated by scratches on a brand-new, expensive, precious truck. It drives me nuts too.

It might be my imagination, but once I get a few scratches they seem to stop. I consider a few blemishes to be a way of warding off further damage. My wife's Matrix got keyed about a week after we bought it. I toyed with getting it fixed, but decided against it, and it's been ding free for a long time. It's not very scientific, but it helps me to cope with the inevitable deprecation of my rides.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree that it's probably kids that cause many accidental door dings. It's hard not to be infuriated by scratches on a brand-new, expensive, precious truck. It drives me nuts too.

It might be my imagination, but once I get a few scratches they seem to stop. I consider a few blemishes to be a way of warding off further damage. My wife's Matrix got keyed about a week after we bought it. I toyed with getting it fixed, but decided against it, and it's been ding free for a long time. It's not very scientific, but it helps me to cope with the inevitable deprecation of my rides.
Wholy smokes! I think you are on to something there. First week i had the tundra i scratched the front bumer and fixed it within minutes. two days later i got another scratch (smaller) and did not fix it and i have not had another one KNOCK ON WOOD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess the use of one truck makes dings and such a problem or not.

I have a truck, not a car, this truck gets used as a truck, I do care about it and its performance, I do what I can to not ding or scratch it.
But unless a ding or scratch will effect how the truck works or causes rust I try the best I can to move on with my life.
I'am very carefull with others stuff as I have a few friends who are very anal about their chunks of steel.:D

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
That is the bad part of buying a new vehicle. Fortunately my last two got dinged early so I don't sweat it so much. Now they look relatively good for their age. Soon they will be gone for new ones and the process will start over. Now if people were as obsessed about taking care of their bodies we would all be a lot healthier.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used to live in Pittsburgh, within the city limits. Everyone parked on the street. You couldn't get in and out of a parking spot without hitting one of the two cars either in front or behind you. Most had cars with black bumpers so they didn't show scuffs as much. It was inevitable the front and back bumpers on your vehicles got scratched.

Whenever I take my kids to dance, soccer, etc..., there are always twice as many vehicles as spaces. The spaces are large enough for a Geo Metro. I think the size of the parking spaces has a lot to do with dings. When you have small spaces, kids getting in and out of those spaces, and lack of parking, you're bound to get dings.

Think of our wives hauling around three kids and trying to get the youngest out of the car seat while the two older ones are jumping out. They have little to no control of those kids - other than to try and park away from vehicles. Sometimes they don't want to drag three kids across a busy shopping mall parking lot, so they are the ones to get more of the dings.

I'm pretty good about avoiding dings, but sh!t happens. My wife on the other hand seems to attrack dings. I blame the above reasoning on that, and not so much her. My kids are 1, 4, and 7. I'd rather have her be safe then worry about a ding in a Honda Pilot. Her first ding she was sick, and paid to have it removed. Probably $150. Since then, there's been 4 more. I told her to wait, and we'd get the other removed. We'll, every several months, another appears. It's to a point we don't even care. We did a 3 step clean/polish/wax job on her black Pilot last weekend and man, does it look good. It also really shows the dings. :rolleyes: No one really cares so much about our vehicles as we do, so we chalk it up to life.

BTW, what are rock sliders?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess the use of one truck makes dings and such a problem or not.

I have a truck, not a car, this truck gets used as a truck, I do care about it and its performance, I do what I can to not ding or scratch it.
But unless a ding or scratch will effect how the truck works or causes rust I try the best I can to move on with my life.
I'am very carefull with others stuff as I have a few friends who are very anal about their chunks of steel.:D
i guess once my Dually got used enough over the years it too became just a truck and i did not care about scratches or what not that much as long as it did what it was supose to do. But now my tundra is all i have, and the first new vehicle i have ever bought. And now that you said it the way you did, i guess i consider it a car based on what i do with it. i guess i am looking at it as if I must keep it perfect for ever so i can hold on to the resale value when i do sale it in 10 years. Now If i get a new project car to work on / focus the Tundra will then become just a truck.

I find it intersesting how we all see our babies different and what we place value on and what we do not place value on.

Back on point there is a great guy out here in so cal that does great dent removal with out paint or bondo. I was very impressed when i saw him at work on a nieghbors car with door dings. I will try to find his card and post his info here next week.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Here is a good one that happened to me...
I parked next to a car at the local community college, sat there a while and got my crap for class in order. (many many moons ago)
I must have forgotten it was so windy.
I opened my door (a 4x4 F-150) the wind snatched it and BAM smacked the SH!T out of a white mustang next to me. Big arse green mark on the side of the car. HOLY CRAP! :eek:
This wasnt just a little bump, I had to get out and really pull that door to get it off the dudes car.
I left a note and moved my truck all the way across the lot...just in case.
The guy called the next day and I told him to come over so I could try to buff it a bit and see the actual damage (it was night when I hit his car).
To my surprise, the guy didnt care at all. He said he didnt notice until he saw the note. He told me that he was a body man and would take care of it no problem, and that I should not worry about it. He was just happy I left a note.
Who'd a thunk it.
I expected a much worse situation, and thought I'd have to fork over some cash to solve this problem.

Looking back, I would have went bananas if there was no note, but having somebody fess up may ease the trauma a bit for me too.

I guess the moral of this rambling story is that SH!T happens sometimes, but the world would be much better if people were willing to take responsibility for the SH!T they cause.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I've given up worrying about new scratches and dents.

I already have a wide variety, its a collection of sorts, each with their own story and some which just magically appeared.

Its cherry has been popped on just about every panel on every side.

On the rear quarter passenger side, it looks like somebody dragged a ten legged cat down the side, it looks awful.

I keep telling myself that one day I'll just have to repaint the box...but not today.

At the end of the day its a truck, its meant to do work and take me places that no car can go, so its gonna get bashed up a little.

When it turns 5 years old, I'll repaint and start worrying all over again.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts