Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
On the rear quarter passenger side, it looks like somebody dragged a ten legged cat down the side, it looks awful.
That's funny. I remember trying to remove my ladder rack by myself (probably weighs 200lbs) and dropped it on the outside of my bed. Unreal dent/scratch. I just laughed. It was my F150 beater. It added character.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is the bad part of buying a new vehicle. Fortunately my last two got dinged early so I don't sweat it so much. Now they look relatively good for their age. Soon they will be gone for new ones and the process will start over. Now if people were as obsessed about taking care of their bodies we would all be a lot healthier.

Pure freaking genius! Amen.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Here is a good one that happened to me...
I parked next to a car at the local community college, sat there a while and got my crap for class in order. (many many moons ago)
I must have forgotten it was so windy.
I opened my door (a 4x4 F-150) the wind snatched it and BAM smacked the SH!T out of a white mustang next to me. Big arse green mark on the side of the car. HOLY CRAP! :eek:
This wasnt just a little bump, I had to get out and really pull that door to get it off the dudes car.
I left a note and moved my truck all the way across the lot...just in case.
The guy called the next day and I told him to come over so I could try to buff it a bit and see the actual damage (it was night when I hit his car).
To my surprise, the guy didnt care at all. He said he didnt notice until he saw the note. He told me that he was a body man and would take care of it no problem, and that I should not worry about it. He was just happy I left a note.
Who'd a thunk it.
I expected a much worse situation, and thought I'd have to fork over some cash to solve this problem.

Looking back, I would have went bananas if there was no note, but having somebody fess up may ease the trauma a bit for me too.

I guess the moral of this rambling story is that SH!T happens sometimes, but the world would be much better if people were willing to take responsibility for the SH!T they cause.

The world would be a much better place. Seems some people cannot learn this lesson. It's a character issue and anyone(including myself) who doesn't "own up", apologize, & then make things right(fix, pay for, repay, whatever) does not get my respect. What pizzez me off is some people think anything is OK as long as they say, "Oh. I'm sorry". Or the really insincere, "Sorry about that".

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always park out in BFE and will give the wife and kids the option of being dropped off at door. When I purchased this truck and started parking like this, I quickly let my wife know that this is what is required should she EVER drive the truck. I also told her that when she gets her 'new' (used of course) vehicle, I'll park it the same way if I drive it.

You guys are right that there will always be people with no respect for their own vehicles, let alone someone elses. Some people are actually jealous and will deliberately ding the good looking ones. Class envy is everywhere and sometimes imagined. One time I just parked out in BFE got out only to see a beater pickup pull in beside my truck. I turned around and moved it, using all my willpower not to shoot the guy a look as he would just move too and prolly give my truck a black eye.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I was in FL in December and went to a restaurant for dinner. Upon completing dinner the wife and I headed out to her 4Runner to leave...Get out to the parking lot and some a$$clown and miss a$$clown have their door slung open against the side of my 4Runner changing their trophies crap filled diaper. I say, hey partner how bout' getting your door off my ride? He says "it's just a truck, we will move it when we are done" up in my face! The next thing I remember is driving off with a dude laying on the ground with a hysterical wife tending to him after I *itched slapped him and told his wife to move or else. Luckily his (huge) buddy just sat and watched it all quietly. Remember, It really is just a truck but attitude is everything.

All thanks to PTSD!:mad:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I was in FL in December and went to a restaurant for dinner. Upon completing dinner the wife and I headed out to her 4Runner to leave...Get out to the parking lot and some a$$clown and miss a$$clown have their door slung open against the side of my 4Runner changing their trophies crap filled diaper. I say, hey partner how bout' getting your door off my ride? He says "it's just a truck, we will move it when we are done" up in my face! The next thing I remember is driving off with a dude laying on the ground with a hysterical wife tending to him after I *itched slapped him and told his wife to move or else. Luckily his (huge) buddy just sat and watched it all quietly. Remember, It really is just a truck but attitude is everything.

All thanks to PTSD!:mad:
that guy must have been a "true A$shole" if his "Friend" just watched. lol
(well, maybe the friend thought you were right...)
Classic though....:tu:

·
Registered
961 Posts
The higher the vehicle the less dings. My Dodge cummins with 39's never got dinged, and even my Tundra with 3" lift hasn't got dinged yet.

Now the real scary thing is, the jerks who hit you with there door on purpose (usally because there jealous of your vehicle). Try owning a vette, now I'm very paranoid about parking lots.

·
Registered
573 Posts
what gets me more p*ssed off then anything is when I do park in BFE and I come out to find some moron right next to me, in the middle of no where.......WHY? my thinking is that he imagines "ooh, theres a nice truck, I know he won't bang his door into me"........drives me to drink.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
One of the best things about my old Sienna was that it had fifty thousand miles when I bought it and was already dented, scratched and cheerio'd inside and out. I was a free bird for three years. Now that I have my immaculate garage kept, low miles, Limited Tundra (for which I paid TOP dollar due to the condition) I am once again in chains to Meguiars and the last spot in the parking lot.

The truck owns me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BOy oh Boy! It just gets better everyday. Went to the bank yesterday , parked in the only spot left. To the right of me an old beat up Toyota truck. The key to this story is that i left my two kids in the car, as i was only going to the ATM in front of the building. As i was walking up to the ATM an older man walked past me. The guy starts heading for the old truck, and he just had that **** the world look on his face as he walked. Note-my truck windows are almost black so you can not really see if anyone is in the truck or not unless you look hard. So i watched this guy out of the corner of my eye knowing he was going to have to be careful opening his door because there was not much room. Now this part is from my 16 year old. guy walks up looks at my new Tundra, grabs his door handle flings the door open and just as it is about to hit my truck both my girls are going oh **** my dad going to ???. The guy must have noticed the movement in my truck and with lightning fast speed grabbed his door just as it made contact. My 16 year said the look on his face was priceless when he noticed them. I saw my window go down and her head sticking out looking down at the paint. Of course i start heading back to see what happened and the old guy drove off as fast as he could. luckily no damage. But my daughter said that he swung it hard and if he did not catch it, let just say GAME ON!

Had to share this one.
This thread caused it because of my comments in my last post. And I did knock on wood.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I feel your pain. A few weeks ago I was here complaining about someone running into the back side of my Tundra at one of the local Wal-Marts. That was about a month ago and when I think about it, I still get angry.

·
TS
579 Posts
What is funny is that my 2002 tundra has no dents from parking lots, no cracked windshields, basically no dents that I didn't do.

My 2006 solara that is babied and parked in the back of the lot has 2 door dings and 3 small windshield cracks from junk falling off the pitiful LA roads.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK, NO MORE POSTS ON DOOR DINGS!!!!!!!
The wife just got home with a nice 5 inch long by 2 inch wide door dent and some white paint on her passenger side door. And the fu_kers knew they did it too. By the looks of it they had to pull their door out of the side of our van. You can tell it hit at full swing. AHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, this isn't a parking lot ding story. My '04 was less than 6 months old, and I was picking the daughter up from work (first job, no car), she pops the door and lets is swing open on its own. :mad: Not only did the slope work against me, causing the door to pick up speed, but I hadn't stopped far enough from a power pole. The door's velocity caused everything to flex as it reached full-open, and smacked the pole juuuust hard enough to take on a nice ding from one of the thousands of thumbtacks or staples in it. I told her if she ever did that again, she would be paying for it instead of something else she wanted. It wasn't much, a dimple, but it was the principle. Good thing my previous truck was an '86 K20. All I'd done for body repairs was carry a can of Krylon with me, and I'd gotten all the anxiety out of my system for automotive trauma. Come to think of it, I suspect other drivers were staying away from me when I was driving it. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel your pain. It is not the fact of it being to hard to control your door it is the udder disrespect for others peoples property. I have not had it happen to my truck but it has happened to my wife's Sequoia (not sure if she parks as far away from civilization as I do) a couple of times. It has not happened to me like I said but if I do come out and there is a spot on my door from the vehicle that is still next to me I am going to put a nice dent in their door via my size 15s. :devil:
Well - I received my first door ding today and I must say I was quite ticked about it - you could even see the scuff on the edge of the persons door. I left a nastygram - it made me feel better.

Anyway - I went straight home and tried to buff it out - got most of it, but I still know its there.

And you're right - accidents happen, but it is totally disrespectful.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I treat my truck like a truck not because I'm rich or don't care - but because it's a truck; that's why I bought it. If you want to spend endless hours fussing over your vehicle, that's your own business. I would simply rather spend my time doing other things. And worrying about every little dent in my vehicle isn't good for me - there's enough stress in the world, already. I learned a long time ago not to waste my energy worrying about things I can't change.

Now if people were as obsessed about taking care of their bodies we would all be a lot healthier.
Yup. And when my truck gets old and crappy, I'll pick up a decent-looking used one that was "babied" by some guy who smoked, didn't exercise or eat right and generally treated his body like sh#$, so he had a heart attack and left a nice looking truck in the driveway :D .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I treat my truck like a truck not because I'm rich or don't care - but because it's a truck; that's why I bought it. If you want to spend endless hours fussing over your vehicle, that's your own business. I would simply rather spend my time doing other things. And worrying about every little dent in my vehicle isn't good for me - there's enough stress in the world, already. I learned a long time ago not to waste my energy worrying about things I can't change.

Yup. And when my truck gets old and crappy, I'll pick up a decent-looking used one that was "babied" by some guy who smoked, didn't exercise or eat right and generally treated his body like sh#$, so he had a heart attack and left a nice looking truck in the driveway :D .

I get what you're saying - and over time I won't be as concerned about it because I'm sure I'm going to do something stupid and mess it up myself....it's just the idea that someone can be so careless. This was obviously an adult, with a nice truck themselves that did it.

Maybe I should have just gone ahead and christened it myself the day I brought it home...:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Everyone on here has posted individual valid points. Some people don't mind dents and scratches on their new $30k+ truck. I'm not saying you guys don't take care of your stuff....I, personally like to take care of my expensive toys. Even if I was filthy rich, I would still continue to park in BFE and be upset when I'd discover new dents/scratches. First and foremost, I want my truck to still look good when I make my last payment on it. I have about 24 payments left and I would be upset if I was still paying on something that was full of dents and scratches. Having said that, (for me) there is a psycological difference in dents/scratches incurred from personal/work use and dents/scratches incurred from some idiot than can't properly open an door or park correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry fellas; I ain't buyin this prima donna crap. We bought trucks, period. If you don't use your vehicle for its intended purpose, then maybe you should be driving a Buick Regal or something similar to get you back and forth to your white-collar city job. The Tundra is a full-size, V8 truck that is used to haul ATVs, boats, loads of hay, and, if you're lucky, a whitetail or two out of the woods. A scratch from a door in a parking lot? Please! Those with 20"+ diameter rims and/or lowered trucks need not reply.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's pride of ownership, not being a prima donna. This thing cost me $30000, its the best vehicle for my purposes on the road. I'm not going to abuse $30000 of my money. I have a mural company, the bed of my truck is full of paint spills, ladders, you name it...........it gets used, it gets bruises, but its not going to get beat on because its a truck, you've got to take some pride in ownership, its not a sin.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts