Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, did somebody file a complaint to NHSTA regarding this skid failure failing and making your vehicle uncontrollable due to sudden cutting off or preventing you from accelerating, I suspect that this is also in conjunction with the quite a while TSB regarding upgrading your brake caliper and rotor, thus having this upgrade throws off the syncronisity of the old brake/caliper combo versus the newer brake upgrade, so for the skid ecu to see a newer upgrade the skid vsc ecu should be reflashed or reprogram or un upgrade of the skid ecu, this is just my opinion after reading all the complaints about this particular ecu which is prone to failure on the 01-02 sequoia or tundra in internet chatrooms or forums like tundra solutions and edmunds.com,
anybody thought about this,

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I think there's a correlation between the TSB caliper/rotor upgrade for 01 and 02 Sequoias and the VSC computer failures that seemed to common for those model years. I wonder if Toyota updated the VSC computer when they did TSB brake upgrade. I did read a long term test drive review on edmunds.com on the Sequoia 2002 model where the VSC lights came on and when taken to the dealer it was attributed to low brake fluid. Perhaps it was it a sign that the VSC computer was about to fail. I do think that VSC computer failure could be a safety issue and NHTSA should investigate this matter.

I do have to thank my dealer and Toyota for stepping up to the plate and repairing my VSC computer for free. I love driving my Sequoia 4x4 offroad and consider it a quality built SUV.

Edmunds Sequoia 2002 review: Inside Line: Long-Term Test: 2002 Toyota Sequoia - Wrap-up: January 2004

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I read my 2002 Sequoia Owner's Manual and read the section on the Vehicle Skid Control System. In bold lettering on page 145 it said the following:

The vehicle skid control system helps provide integrated control of the systems such as anti-lock brake system, traction control, engine control, etc. This system automatically controls the brakes and engine to help prevent the vehicle from skidding when cornering on a slippery road or surface or operating steering wheel abruptly.

The way I read it (I could be wrong) is that the VSC computer is integrated with the Engine Control Computer and should be covered under the Powertrain Warranty which covers the engine control computer.

The Powertrain Warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I called toyota (not the dealer) twice and talked to different person, regarding the VSC computer is covered under powertrain warranty, and they said it is not covered under the powertrain warranty but covered with bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think there's a correlation between the TSB caliper/rotor upgrade for 01 and 02 Sequoias and the VSC computer failures that seemed to common for those model years. I wonder if Toyota updated the VSC computer when they did TSB brake upgrade. I did read a long term test drive review on edmunds.com on the Sequoia 2002 model where the VSC lights came on and when taken to the dealer it was attributed to low brake fluid. Perhaps it was it a sign that the VSC computer was about to fail. I do think that VSC computer failure could be a safety issue and NHTSA should investigate this matter.

I do have to thank my dealer and Toyota for stepping up to the plate and repairing my VSC computer for free. I love driving my Sequoia 4x4 offroad and consider it a quality built SUV.

Edmunds Sequoia 2002 review: Inside Line: Long-Term Test: 2002 Toyota Sequoia - Wrap-up: January 2004
When did you have the VSC replaced for free, and was it within the warranty?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello, for owners with problematic VSC/ABS/SKID light on the SEQUOIA whivh most is probably out of warranty unless youve got extended warranty, the only way toyota will recognize this problem is to report or file a complaint to NHSTA, read all the complaints that were filled on the sequoia here, this is the website to file a complaint IVOQ - File a Complaint and go from there, and probably you were aware of the duscussion also at edmunds.com, and if i remember there was a thread here that someones vsc caught on fire and it was even caught on video, just that they will conduct an investigation, well its up to you guys who has this problems to act, unless you dont mind paying up big bucks, this might be a chance for a recall and save you some money

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello, to lakeside, hows your 04 sequoia after the fire of the vsc, did you file a report to NHSTA, about the incident? people with problems should file a report/complaint so that they will investigate it, maybe there is really a fluke on the design of the vsc.abs system and all it needs is updating it

·
Employee of the Month
25 Posts
Complaint filed:

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10172909

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '03 Sequoia that is now off factory warranty. My VSC Light came on as per many of the reports you find posted. After taking it to the dealer they found 2 codes coming up specific to the problem and advised that both the Skid Control Computer and the Enigine Control Computer (ECC) required replacing. Looking around on tundrasolutions.com I found the Technical Service Bulletins specific to this issue (thanks guys for these postings). I then contacted Toyota customer service and complained about the issue and they negotiated with the local Toyota dealer and came back with an offer of each party covering one third the repair bill. The work is now complete and problem is resolved. Thanks again to everyone here for there posts - saved my about $1500.00 by having proof of the problem and being able to properly state my case.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this issue seems to be frequent on 01-02 and early 03 sequoias,

·
Registered
206 Posts
It seems the brake TSB is only 01-02's but the VSC/TRAC failure is on all years (at least beyond 03). I just had the brake TSB done - my brakes work far better than before, stops better and pedal feel is better. The truck started hesitating right after the work was done, I took it back to the dealer and (because of this website - THANKS) told them the mechanic must not have positioned the sensors in the wheels correctly and the zero point calibration would not have worked. He told me the systems are not tied together and it must be my throttle positiong sensor, turns out I was right everything seems good now - knock on wood. - The two systems are definately tied together and I would (and will if it fails) put up a huge stink over getting it covered under powertrain warranty.

I have to wonder if any people have paid to replace their VSC computer after the brake TSB was done needlessly due to mispositioned wheel sensors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump, thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the irony is that a lot are complaining or having problems with VSC/ABS Skid control yet few people are doing something about it like filing a complaint with NHSTA, case by case basis toyota/dealer will do a replacement but not always the case youve got to pony up at least 1500 bucks,minimum, anyways good luck, to all those with problems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi. My engine light, Trac Off and VSC lights all came on. ABS did not come on. Is this the same issue? Are we talking new ECM? Early '03 Sequoia w/54K miles.

Taking it in tomorrow. Testing the extended warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep you could be in this category also, if youre under warranty have it check

·
Registered
5 Posts
2002 Sequoia Limited with 72,000 miles. I recently filed a complaint to the NHTSA (10176658) regarding my VSC/ABS/Brake lights being lit all the time. It's been ongoing since April 2006. I first took it to a reputable Toyota-only shop and after two days of diagnostics (appx $225) they said it was probably a failed VSC unit. Then I called Toyota customer care who put me in touch with a local dealer who gave me a quote for $2200 to replace the unit, with no guarantees. The dealer then called the regional Toyota field rep and as of today, they say I am not a loyal Toyota owner since I didn't have my care continually serviced at the dealer and will not cover it under goodwill. I have purchad four brand-new Toyotas over the last 15 years. This car is serviced religiously. My wife drives the car with three small kids and ABS doesn't work on Denver's icy/snowy roads. I am very concerned. Ball joints recently replaced for free:ts:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am one of the folks who has ignored the brake problems on my wife's '02 Sequoia since it was new -- clanking when getting underway either forward or reverse, warped calipers, vsc lights, etc. As long as the brakes didn't fail I just lived with it but now the calipers need replaced after two resurfacing I will take it up with Toyota. I suspect though I will get the 'not a loyal customer' response since I do my own routine maintenance and refuse to take it to the dealer where I purchased it as the one time I took it in for faulty a/c they screwed it up three times before getting it working correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
12/29/06 - Just spoke to Toyota Customer Care. They will do nothing to assist me in offsetting the exorbitant cost of this critical safety component (VSC computer). Since the local factory field representative, the one who said I wans't a loyal customer, said they will not absorb any costs whatsoever, then I am out of luck and need to spend $2200. That, or just live without ABS and VSC. I find it very hard to believe that Toyota wouldn't recognize the problem with this vehicle. Check the NHTSA - there are many complaints filed for either the VSC/ABS or the front brakes. Customer Care tells me there was never a TSB or recall for the front brakes on the 2002 Sequoia. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts