Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2003 Sequoia has had the VSC problems 3 times now. The first time at 54K, booster and steering angle sensor replaced. Toyota good willed me a portion of the cost and I paid $957. The second time, at 78k, just a steering angle sensor was replaced and I paid $500. We are on our third time 92K, and the problem is presenting as it did the first time. VSC lights are off in park, but when I put the vehicle into drive and begin to move, there is a quick abrupt jolt, a brief grinding sound, and the lights go on. Has anyone else had this problem repeatedly? Any suggestions on how to deal with Toyota? I am fed up. I bought a Toyota so I wouldn't have problems like this. I know there will problems with a vehicle on occasion - but come on.
My wifes truck (2003 with 70K miles) just started doing the same thing. Lights are off when you start the truck and as soon as you start moving, it makes the noise and the lights come on. Any suggestion are highly appreciated. PLEASE HELP!!! Don't have any extra cash to pay dealer to start guessing.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am happy to report that Toyota is going to pay 100% of the repair for my 03 Sequoia's VCS system. I paid a large portion of the repair the first 2 times it happened. I am hoping that they are doing this because it has occured enough times for them to realize that it is a widespread problem. I was told that the decision was made by the Toyota district rep, not at the dealership alone. My plan is to get it fixed, sell it, and buy the 08 Sequoia. I do love my truck, and I think Toyota is a good product overall - they are just slow at recognizing when there is a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Guys,

Is it possible to get the codes read somewhere other then the dealer. The stealer is charging me $95.00 to just diagnose the issue (i.e read the codes)
I think i read somewhere that people are getting it done at places such as Advanced Auto Parts so i tried going there today, and they told me that they only have a computer to read engine codes and not the VSC/ABS issues.

Thank you

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just an update..we had the ECU replaced for the VSC/TRAC lights as "goodwill warranty" from our service dealer on our 02 Seq. Was pleased but how many had to pay up before big T started replacing these free?! The jolt you felt was the TRAC system kicking in b/c it thinks something is wrong at least thats what our service advisor told us, but that it was safe to drive! Sometimes having the #1 market share comes at a price! Quality down, profits up, at least for the short term!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just filed my complaint! It really pisses me off that we are all having the same problem with this car and Toyota won't do anything about it. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this lemon ASAP and will never buy a Toyota again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucky me! I have a 2003 with 101,000 miles and have the VSC off and TRAC off lights on continually (though, those are the only two I have on..not the ABS or CEL). I had it at the dealer this morning to run the diagnostic and ..yep...they say that the VSC computer needs replaced.

Though they did tell me that the error was "zero-point steering angle calibration". Why would this be the computer, and not something like the steering angle sensor? Do techs just take shots in the dark at this issue, or do they actually know what's going on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer contacted me and stated they reprogrammed the VSC computer. I am assuming this means they may have re-run the calibration procedure.

I was told that the lights are gone and are not coming on. Crossing my fingers, but this still seems fishy to me. Seems like either the technicians don't understand how to track down the actual problems based on the VSC specific codes, and then just throw out "Uh, you need to replace the VSC computer" as a fix-all. This many computers just don't go bad. There is something else that is the actual problem, or there is something that is making the computer fail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dealer contacted me and stated they reprogrammed the VSC computer. I am assuming this means they may have re-run the calibration procedure.

I was told that the lights are gone and are not coming on. Crossing my fingers, but this still seems fishy to me. Seems like either the technicians don't understand how to track down the actual problems based on the VSC specific codes, and then just throw out "Uh, you need to replace the VSC computer" as a fix-all. This many computers just don't go bad. There is something else that is the actual problem, or there is something that is making the computer fail.
OHIO,
When you say "reprogrammed the VSC" do you mean replaced and reprogrammed or simply reprogrammed w/out replacing? I would also like to know how much they are chanrging you for this. Here is my story....
I've had VSC issues since this truck was under warranty. I have complained and they replaced the YAW sensor and the problem disappeared for a while. In 6 - 10 months, the problem showed up again. I took it back to the dealer and was told that the codes were not very specific and they could not figure out what the problem was. They reset the codes, lights were off and we took thr truck home. To make a long story short, this truck is 2003 with 70K miles on it now and the lights are on. All the time. I took it to the dealer and not codes are very specific :) It needs a new VSC computer. Price $2K approximately. I called Toyota Corporate and complained. They put me in touch with local rep and after some investigation on her part, they are replacing the computer for $800 and we split it 50/50. So my cost would be about 400 + tax. But there is a catch to it. They are only replacing a computer at this price. She said that with this problem that we are having, most of the time it's a computer, but sometimes it's not. So, if it's not, it may require additional parts and there is no splitting on that. :(
The truck is at the dealer now (2nd day). We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OHIO,
When you say "reprogrammed the VSC" do you mean replaced and reprogrammed or simply reprogrammed w/out replacing? I would also like to know how much they are chanrging you for this.
They did not replace my VSC computer. They told me "reprogrammed", but I am thinking they either 1.) Re-calibrated or 2.) Simply reset the codes.

I was charged about $70, basically for an hour labor to run the diagnostic and do the "reprogram".

On the bill, the service stated:

"D26 Code 1231 Steering Angle Sensor / VSC computer. If lights come on again, ECU needs replaced."

Sounds like none of these dealers know how to accurately diagnose these lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hello, for owners with problematic VSC/ABS/SKID light on the SEQUOIA whivh most is probably out of warranty unless youve got extended warranty, the only way toyota will recognize this problem is to report or file a complaint to NHSTA, read all the complaints that were filled on the sequoia here, this is the website to file a complaint IVOQ - File a Complaint and go from there...
Complaint filed...

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10215530

I only found 1 other complaint. ??<shrug>

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
New to the VSC thread, but have a early 2003 Sequoia with VSC/Trac lights on. Took to dealership for diagnostics, codes 1223-requiring VSC computer to be replaced...to the tune of $1650. Working with Toyota E to resolve and seeing what they offer. Vehicle has 84k miles and serviced regularly, so will wait and see. The location of the VSC computer is on the passenger side attached to the ABS block (silver manifold block), opposite of the ABS pump? Does the computer attach to any solenoid valves or can this easily be removed? Any illustrations or pictures available on this forum?

Thanks, M

·
Registered
20 Posts
actually very easy to replace compared to say a Tahoe. May have to bleed brakes depending on whether it is just the computer portion or the valve portion. After reading 4 pages of this I think a lot of people on here have other issues with there ABS systems. I have a good friend who has been a toyota tech over 20 years and has yet to replace the abs computer.....maybe something here is fishy, or bad dealer techs??? I do know at times I wish I didn't have that fricken ABS/Trac system, ever try to power thru some snow or ice in 2wd in your 4wd sequoia???? Man it sounds like a robot under the hood is ready to explode!!!! and the truck won't move! I wish the trac off worked in 2wd as well as 4wd.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^ ^ I agree. I'm not convinced the computer is the true culprit in many of these "computer-replacement fixes". In many years of working on cars I have replaced one sensor, and no computers. The rest of the failed sensors were actually bad sensor connectors. They may feel tight, but 5-7 years of vibration, heat, and dirt made for a bad or loose connection inside. Sometimes unplugging and replugging various sensors is all that is needed to make the various failure lights go away. Slight bending of the internal contacts in lots of connectors has saved me big over the years.

I suppose it is possible the vibration from the antilock valves could dislodge something on the ABS computer board. I have seen cracked solder joints in computers before. Easy to fix if you can find them. You can bet that if/when this problem crops up on my Sequoia, there is going to be a LOT of unplugging, crimping, cleaning, and computer-case-opening going on long before I putter into Toyota to let them drain my wallet of $1000-$2000 for a new $89 ABS /Trac computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2001 ltd 2wd sequioa. At appx 85k miles last summer, we lost all power and vsc came on. We were on vacation in a remote location. We called dealer who recommended disconnecting battery cables, allowing reset,and then restarting. This worked and allowed us to continue vacation. We thought this was an isolated event and wrote it off with no additional problems until three months later. At that time we were in Atlanta on 70 MPH highway when power went out. Fortunately we were able to coast to exit ramp and were not killed. Car reset and all was okay. We went to dealer who ran diagnostics and said all was okay. Then two day ago, we lost power in Atlanta rush hour traffic and were lucky to not have an accident. We now have lost faith in this vehicle and are surprised that the dealer has not taken our problems more seriously as this seems like such a liability. I really do not want to have to fork out money for a new car as we had planned to drive this car for the life of it and hoped to get at least 200k. If dealer can not solve this, I will never buy another toyota. This is very frustrating and we don't know where to turn-maybe another dealership?

·
Registered
19 Posts
just remember you are not alone when it comes to the VSC problems. Just look on this board and see how many people have had problems... I'm sure the dealer is aware...if they are not..print out a few pages of this forum and staple them to his workdesk.

I had a VSC / TRAC OFF light that led to the dealer changing out the ECU=brains. This occured just 3K miles after the 30,000 mile warranty!
Ended up splitting the $1,500 repair three ways me/dealer/toyotamotorusa.

Just recently when it rained...got the light again.
I've already filed a complaint. This is a engineering issue, or at the least. This is an issue with the technicians not being trained on how to troubleshoot/diagnose/fix this issue.

File a complaint... I bought a 'Toyota' so I would not have these issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lucky me! I have a 2003 with 101,000 miles and have the VSC off and TRAC off lights on continually (though, those are the only two I have on..not the ABS or CEL). I had it at the dealer this morning to run the diagnostic and ..yep...they say that the VSC computer needs replaced.

Though they did tell me that the error was "zero-point steering angle calibration". Why would this be the computer, and not something like the steering angle sensor? Do techs just take shots in the dark at this issue, or do they actually know what's going on?
Elsewhere in this thread three is a TSB listed for the steering angle calibration. I curious why they don't want to try carrying out the actions in the TSB before doing some major work in replacing the computer.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Het hmm Chiming in for the first time!! On every other board on earth But JUst love this one so far... My wifes 02 has/had this problem!! she would start it up in the am no light ..back it up light on. from like 89,000 to 105,000 Dont know why but i took it out..." DIRT DRIVING"" Trying to slide it and Rally it a little..Got Pissed slammed on the brake like ten times hard....Havn't had it since L.O.L....NOW im not saying this will fix anyone's BUt Being an experianced Tech In all Trucks..And having owned more than 30 yota's (6 currently) what can happen in "some vehicle's" is the piston get's stuck.. from lack of movement..Ie:not far enufff... We see it all the time in masters,Do a brake job .Bleed the brakes.....the master goes bad,mostly caused from crap getting built up!! In an improperly maintained system...Mostly Moisture...Brake fluid attracts it.SO the point of this was Simply alot of problems can be simple also..So Go out DRIVE like your sixteen again!!! Hey at least if anything it'll reileve some stress!!!!!!!! BTW>>>ive done this on 3 other's and it seems to have worked..Coincidence ProBrobly But Whats it gonna hurt!!!!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2003 Toyota Seqouia November 2007. It has been to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. The skid control system is malfunctioning (light will flash, and at times the system will not allow you to accelerate for 2 to 3 seconds after making a turn..this is on dry pavement under normal conditions). They replaced the ECU module which was covered under my extended warranty, however, it did not repair the problem. My wife was almost in an accident the other day because of this. The dealership had a "rep" to come down, they drove it and it did not display this problem. They also cannot get an error code when they check the system, so they have told me that nothing is wrong with it. Basically, the are calling me a liar. Guess they think I have nothing better to do than run a scam or something. From what I have seen on the internet, this is a serious problem that has affected hundreds of people. Not sure what is going on here, but something should be done about it. I will do my part. I am making sure things are on the record, because if my family gets hurt due to this rediculous situation, they were afforded the opportunity to take care of this situation. If you are having this problem, please let me know. When I am in the right, I will do whatever it takes to rectify the situation. If you have any information, please advise me. I already have alot collected and have a plan to bring this situation out. Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That was one of the reasons we got rid of the 02 Seq we had. It was like what else is going to go wrong with this thing! Thankfully ours was replaced by the servicing dealer as "goodwill" ! Good luck

41 - 60 of 100 Posts