Toyota Tundra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
hello, for owners with problematic VSC/ABS/SKID light on the SEQUOIA whivh most is probably out of warranty unless youve got extended warranty, the only way toyota will recognize this problem is to report or file a complaint to NHSTA, read all the complaints that were filled on the sequoia here, this is the website to file a complaint IVOQ - File a Complaint and go from there, and probably you were aware of the duscussion also at edmunds.com, and if i remember there was a thread here that someones vsc caught on fire and it was even caught on video, just that they will conduct an investigation, well its up to you guys who has this problems to act, unless you dont mind paying up big bucks, this might be a chance for a recall and save you some money
I submitted a complaint...

I just bought a 2002 Sequoia last week with this problem. Has 82K on it. Not sure when this problem started on the vehicle or what caused it. Both VSC and TRAC Off warning lights are on (no others). I press the TRAC Off button but nothing happens. It was like that when I bought it from a wholesaler. He didn't know what it was either, he told me a tech said it was a sensor. Not sure what to do. I can't afford to replace any computers. It drives fine and I don't notice any issues related to the VSC/TRAC when in motion. The only issue I notice is a slight brake squeal when I reverse out of the driveway...

Considering the price I paid for this vehicle ($9K) I thought it was worth it even with the problem. If nothing happens due to the VSC/TRAC systems not working then oh well...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I submitted a complaint...

I just bought a 2002 Sequoia last week with this problem. Has 82K on it. Not sure when this problem started on the vehicle or what caused it. Both VSC and TRAC Off warning lights are on (no others). I press the TRAC Off button but nothing happens. It was like that when I bought it from a wholesaler. He didn't know what it was either, he told me a tech said it was a sensor. Not sure what to do. I can't afford to replace any computers. It drives fine and I don't notice any issues related to the VSC/TRAC when in motion. The only issue I notice is a slight brake squeal when I reverse out of the driveway...

Considering the price I paid for this vehicle ($9K) I thought it was worth it even with the problem. If nothing happens due to the VSC/TRAC systems not working then oh well...
This is the EXACT same issue I'm having. After reading these threads, it doesn't sound like its going to do me any good taking it in to the dealership.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A bit of good news for all of you that are having this issue....
I filed a complaint in Dec of 2006 and just this morning received an email and a call from DOT. They have asked me bunch of questions related to this problem and informed me that they are working on getting Toyota to recall all vehicle affected by the faulty skid control unit. I have already paid to get it fixed, so they said once Toyota does the recall, I will be reimbursed. He also asked me to fax him all of the documents related to the issue. He apologized for a delay :) I guess it's a start of good things to come.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone! I sent off my complaint about 2 weeks ago and already got a response. The sent the following email requesting some info. I'll be sending my response off shortly.

Hopefully Toyota is gonna do a recall on this soon!!

01Snake

Mr. XXXXXX,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX; I am an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. I am interested in the report you filed with us in regarding your 2003 Toyota Sequoia traction control system.

Did you ever experience, while the VSC light was on, a problem with the brakes applying by themselves or a lack of accelerator response?

Have you had the problem diagnosed by a dealer yet? Did this problem ever get fixed, and if it did, what repair was done to fix it?

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX
Investigator, US D.O.T.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't filed a complaint yet but I will. I have a 2005 Toyota Sequioa SR5 with only 33,000 miles. I don't have any brake light warnings on but I do have the Check Engine light on with the TRAC OFF and VSC TRAC lights on. I will call the local toyota dealer tommorow and see what they say. If they give me the b.s. about it's all on me to pay for it, I will file my complaint. Hell, i'm going to file my complaint anyways. The reason why I haven't file it yet is because on the complaint, it's asking of what was done to correct the filure.

To everybody, don't forget to file. I agree it is crucial that we all complain so Toyota will have to take this seriously. It's not a one or 2 person problem, it's widespread. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
i started this thread in 2006 now the NHTSA has taken notice, good job on filing the complaints, keep it coming,:ts::thumb: and maybe toyota will start to do something about it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to validate what has been said recently about the DOT letter as I received one on 3/19.

Simply go to ODI - Office of Defects Investigation then check under your specific vehicle. I read over 200, and noticed similar issues on TSB (VSC skid, Oil pressure, Ball joints, clutch, ACC belt, AC compressor, etc) and others that were not i.e. broken door handles, rotors.

What I learned was anytime I take my vehicle in for an issue - log it at DOT, then register your make & year so if there is a recall you are notified by e-mail. However, it is not by model so you may get an e-mail related to all 2003 Toyota's.

I have 94,000 miles with a 7/100k warranty so I had everything covered but the door handles, and rotors. I believe the ECM block should be warranted for an additional 6 years. I love my truck, BUT... safety of my children is #1. I know they won't recall but if they did I would go for the '09, unless they came out with a hybrid and would suffer until then. How did the Yukon come out with a part time 8 cylinder? I drove one and got 22 highway on a trip. WOW. C'mon Toyota!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to validate what has been said recently about the DOT letter as I received one on 3/19.

Simply go to ODI - Office of Defects Investigation then check under your specific vehicle. I read over 200, and noticed similar issues on TSB (VSC skid, Oil pressure, Ball joints, clutch, ACC belt, AC compressor, etc) and others that were not i.e. broken door handles, rotors.

What I learned was anytime I take my vehicle in for an issue - log it at DOT, then register your make & year so if there is a recall you are notified by e-mail. However, it is not by model so you may get an e-mail related to all 2003 Toyota's.

I have 94,000 miles with a 7/100k warranty so I had everything covered but the door handles, and rotors. I believe the ECM block should be warranted for an additional 6 years. I love my truck, BUT... safety of my children is #1. I know they won't recall but if they did I would go for the '09, unless they came out with a hybrid and would suffer until then. How did the Yukon come out with a part time 8 cylinder? I drove one and got 22 highway on a trip. WOW. C'mon Toyota!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dreaded VSC OFF/VSC TRAC lights came on my Sequoia today. It has 92,000 on it and I bought it a few months ago with 88,000. I bought a Toyota because of reliability but this forum is making me worry. I had no idea so many people had this same problem. It seems like people are getting contacted by NHTSA. Has anyone heard anything after their initial contact? My Sequoia has always shaked when stopping so I thought it was the rotors. Today when the light came on, it didn't shake when stopping. I'm now wondering if it has something to do with the VSC or ABS coming on when it isn't suppose to. Anyway, I don't have the money to drop in a new computer or whatever they do to charge $1500-2500.

For Proof: Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10276925

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because of these posts, I just filed a complaint with NHTSA a few minutes ago. My skid control dash lights (all 5 of them including VSC, Brake, etc.) have been on the dash of my 2002 Sequoia with 60K miles on it for the past few weeks. The local Toyota dealer just told me this afternoon that it will cost about $2400 to replace the ECU skid control unit! Not happy, was my response to the service department. I have read dozens of these reports online tonight. Lost a lot of faith in Toyota today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same issue here just showed up last week. 2004 with 42,000 on it. We were occassionally getting the brake light on and turning off the truck and restarting it seemed to reset it. When I had it in for something else a week and a half ago I mentioned the brake light coming on. They said it was the skid control computer and it needed to be replaced. Thank goodness for the extended warranty, it was completely covered. Well, yesterday on the way home from the store, as I was applying the brakes to slow down for a turn the brakes seemed to apply themselves very hard and the truck nose dived and felt like it was going to begin to skid. I heard lots of grumbling and clicking (assuming ABS) and then the dash lights light up. TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC and Brake all light up. This is on the new computer. So it goes back to the dealer tonight for more diagnosis. I'll file a complaint tonight once I can get my VIN. This was a pretty scary event. I certainly hope they come up with a permanent fix or I'll have to look into another vehicle. We really like the Sequoia and it's only one of a few non-minivans that can hold my family of six.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 04 sequioa VSC light just came on and i listed a complaint with the NHTSA. pulled a code off computer because check engine light just came on and came up with the O2 sensor being bad ?! possibly a combination of issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Filed a complaint a few years ago. ODI # 10163872 at 71k. We have 114k now and other than the ABS and VSC not working, the Sequoia runs strong. I hope they call me. Back when I first complained, my local dealer Mountain States Toyota in Denver and the local Toyota field rep both did their best to insult me. It didn't work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue here, But I had this with the stock wheels, and now with the 20" wheels.
I have had it reprogrammed and within 90 miles it voilently did it to my wife on the interstate in Florida,(@75mph) enough for her to have to pullover and get to the side of the road. Turn off the truck and restart it after waiting 2-3mins.
It usually does not act so crazy, most of the time it pulls power for a few secs. and the goes on.

I need help!!!

I have had my sequoia for 5+ years, it has 166,000 and started this 40,00 miles ago.

Does anyone know if replacing the computer is the fix??????????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, thanks to everyone who previously posted your problems and links to the NHSTA, I also filed a formal complaint today (ODI #10283605). Here is my story;

The dash VSC TRAC & ABS SKID CONTROL warning lights on my 2003 Toyota Sequoia 2WD have been on constantly for a period of time. They first appeared when I started my engine before I even placed the vehicle in drive. This is my SECOND such failure of this system. The first occurrence was just weeks after the factory warranty expired. The original estimate to repair was about $2100. After some complaining, the dealer split the cost with me.

Thanks....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just bought 2005 and just saw brake light come on, Toyota gave me error codes of C1223 and C1247 and skid control replacement estimate of $2,500. Of course there is no warranty on this 2005 model, but after talking to Toyota service advisor and reading forums, this appears to be a very significant goof on Toyota that could be expensive to owners.

Has anyone got Toyota corporation (did not purchase through dealer) to pay for this skid control cumputer replacement due to this being a safety and poor desgin problem?

Also, anyone know any update on possible recall with NTHSA?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I filed a formal complaint and received an email reply that asked if I had any issues such as [FONT=&quot]the brakes applying by themselves or a problem with a lack of accelerator response or a problem with the vehicle losing engine power? I have not experienced any of these issues and I have not revieved a reply to my response.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife nearly was in an accident while turning left across traffic. Normally, she would have had plenty of time...this time the VSC and TRAC lights were on and she did not get a response at all from the accelerator for around 5 seconds. The oncoming car was luckily able to slow down enough that it did not hit my wife. I filed another complaint tonight with the NHSTA (ODI Number: 10362091). I honestly doubt that anything will become of it...I am just hoping that the 2011 Siennas are not plagued with the same issues (rented one a couple weeks ago...loved it). I plan on replacing the Sequoia soon I think.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts