Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, this is not to be taken as complaining about my Tundra. Got it? Good!

How are you guys consitantly filling your tanks? When the gas nozzle kick off automatically I can get another 2.5 to 5.0 gallons in the tank. Not exactly consistant. What I do is keep clicking away and topping it off until I can see the fuel at the filler hole recessed in the line. Even then it will get to that point and then go down. It usually takes me about 3-4 minutes to fill after it clicks off automatically. Lots and lots of little squirts of gas go in.

It's a pain in the butt to fill it that way, but I do it to check my mileage. It's the only way I know I can consistantly get it filled. It might not work this summer when it's a 108* outside and the fuel expands. So I'm looking to see what you all do?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do it to all my cars and 4-Runner, after it clicks off I top it all the way off which is an extra 3-4 gallons easy!

Yes everyone says its bad for the charcoal canister..BUT I have been doing this since driving (ALOT of years) and have never had a canister go bad--ever, that with my last Honda accord that I sold with 152K on it.
My 99 Runner with 95K on as well! Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Fuel expands? I think that it's more likely that the partial pressure of the fuel vapors increase with heat, however, this will not change the amount of fuel that you can get into the tank. That's a surprising amount of fuel to be able to put in after the nozzle clicks off. If the fuel is bubbling up while filling up then it could cause the nozzle to click off. I guess you're not following the "please don't top off" instructions.

I agree that this is the only way to get accurate gas mileage info, though. If someone is 3-5 gallons short after filling up, he's going to calculate terrific gas mileage for that tank and ****ty mileage for the next tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are couple of reasons you shouldn't top it off - ever:

• Can damage the fuel pump - too much pressure
  • Bad for the environment, letting out too many harmful vapors (this is why most dispensers are hooded now)
  • Bad for your health - spending way too much time exposing yourself to harmful vapors
I put the nozzle in and get away and 99% of the time my gauge reads full. IMO it's not worth getting anal about mileage readings or ensuring the tank is completely full, there's always another gas station around the corner and I didn't buy a 5.7L truck for the fuel economy...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
389 Posts
The fuel pump is submerged in fuel. Just how does this damage the fuel pump?
According the manual it should not be done. I believe it places the pump under duress as vapor expands creating greater pressures, something to that effect according to my mechanic who replaced a fuel pump of mine on an old VW Rabbit.

Here's a link that discusses adverse affects of topping off, some I didn't realize: Volkswagen Gas Tank: Bigger Storage Space Within Your Reach

Funny that you can end up hurting your fuel economy in being too anal. Finally, unless there's some hottie in the stall next to me I'd prefer to gas and go...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like 99 runner, i've been topping every vehicle off for lots of years. never had a problem. On long trips out in west texas, there isn't a station around the next corner. I just wish toyota put larger tanks on their trucks and suv's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like 99 runner, i've been topping every vehicle off for lots of years. never had a problem. On long trips out in west texas, there isn't a station around the next corner. I just wish toyota put larger tanks on their trucks and suv's.
Over 300 miles to a tank, you'll find a gas station. I'll also bet there's room in the bed for a gas can...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over 300 miles to a tank, you'll find a gas station. I'll also bet there's room in the bed for a gas can...
If you are getting 8.0 MPG towing like me you are pushing it to get 200 miles on a tank. Out in the desert that can be a trick.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I know this isn't the most accurate way to do it, but if you fill your tank the same way each time, that should give you an accurate reading. Topping it off just takes longer but does essentially the same thing. When the handle clicks off, it is doing so because of the bubbles reaching the nozzle which happens once the fuel starts climing up the pipe (i.e. when the tank actually is full and you're not filling the pipe itself). If you do that each time, you get a pretty accurate reading providing you a) use the same gas, b) go to the same gas station, c) have the same "pressure" coming out of the gas nozzle, and d) be consistent in what you do after the nozzle clicks off.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Those with earlier Tundras will remember that if you top off like this fuel actually gets into the charcoal canister kicking on a engine code and you will need to replace it. Kind of expensive if I remember correct. Not sure of the placement on the new Tundras but something to think about. I go to the first click and then round to the next dollar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would think there is a problem if you can still get 3 more gallons in after the pump kicks off (exception being when you get an overly-sensitive pump). If it is happening consistently, consult your dealer - there may be something keeping it from venting.

My 2002 Miata had that same problem, there was a recall because some of the filler tubes didn't vent properly. Mazda swapped it out and I no longer have that problem.

My Tundra fills completely without topping off - once it has stopped, if I try to add more, I can hear it in the filler backing up immediately and it kicks off right away, even if I wait a minute before trying.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would think there is a problem if you can still get 3 more gallons in after the pump kicks off (exception being when you get an overly-sensitive pump). If it is happening consistently, consult your dealer - there may be something keeping it from venting.

My 2002 Miata had that same problem, there was a recall because some of the filler tubes didn't vent properly. Mazda swapped it out and I no longer have that problem.

My Tundra fills completely without topping off - once it has stopped, if I try to add more, I can hear it in the filler backing up immediately and it kicks off right away, even if I wait a minute before trying.
I remember that issue with our 2002 Miata! Our Miata had lots of little problems that turned into major ones and ultimately it was lemon lawed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are couple of reasons you shouldn't top it off - ever:
  • Can damage the fuel pump - too much pressure
  • Bad for the environment, letting out too many harmful vapors (this is why most dispensers are hooded now)
  • Bad for your health - spending way too much time exposing yourself to harmful vapors
I put the nozzle in and get away and 99% of the time my gauge reads full. IMO it's not worth getting anal about mileage readings or ensuring the tank is completely full, there's always another gas station around the corner and I didn't buy a 5.7L truck for the fuel economy...
Is this a joke? Squirting in a few more clicks is bad for the environment?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts