Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there are like 20 threads on here about swaping LEDs in the dash of Tundras. Nothing directed for a sequoia so I am hoping other sequoia owners will do it.

04 sequoia:

I ordered them from SuperbrightLEDs.com - Most lights I ordered without the holder, I just used the existing holder.

A/C panel (10) #74
HTML:
#74-xHP LED CAR BULB Specifications
HTML:
I used all white lights except behind blue and red temp dial. I put blue back there.

Ignition ring: (1) #74 3 led
HTML:
#74-xHP3 LED CAR BULB Specifications
HTML:

Lighter ring: (1) #74 - I used the light from ashtray and just plugged it in the ring

Glove Box: (1) #74

Ash Tray: (1) #74

Turn signals & Brights: (3...one for each) #74

Dashboard lights (5): T1.5 Series w/holder
HTML:
T1.5 LED Twist Lock Lamp Specifications
HTML:

PRND2L Lights (7): Neo4xHP Super Brights
HTML:
NeoWedge series LED Lamp Specifications
HTML:

Footwell: (1) #74

Rear A/C Controls: (4) #74

Homelink buttons: (5) Neo4x
HTML:
NeoWedge series LED Lamp Specifications
HTML:

Most of these are a tight fit, but it can be done.

Go on sylvania website for the cabin and exterior bulbs. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

I did not do radio or the steering wheel lights because they are all very small solders and I dont trust myself. I would like to get AM head unit anyway.

If you have any other questions let me know

Have Fun! and GO OK STATE!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did the same on my truck because all of the IP backlights were getting so dim I couldn't see the speedometer at night. I replaced the five green backlights with green LED's. Easy swap. However, the LED's I got give a Christmas tree light look to the IP. Not just green, but REALLY GREEN. The orange gauge needles are now even green.

How did the LED's turn out on your IP? Not too intense?

BTW, I have an engineering degree from Okie State, so don't get all technical on me!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha good to see a fellow cowboy on here.

Anyway, the IP is not intense at all. Its white, but not BRIGHT white. Only complaint I have is the tubes the light travels down limits the spread of the bulb. It doesnt look bad, but it isnt 100%even. I asked some friends this weekend while down at alumni weekend and they didnt even notice it. I am thinking I notice it because its my car.

GO STATE!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good info. I was wondering about the LED mods. My wife drives her 05 Sequoia 99.9% of the time and she is fine with the IP the way it is. My 02 Tundra could use the mod though.

Go Pokes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info. I was wondering about the LED mods. My wife drives her 05 Sequoia 99.9% of the time and she is fine with the IP the way it is. My 02 Tundra could use the mod though.

Go Pokes!
Definitely a good mod. Cheap and easy. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. My answers will be free for a fellow state fan haha. Good to see more OK State fans!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took some pictures last night, but they are terrible. The white lights look green and the speedo colors look black. How do you get night time pictures to show up? I have a decent camera and used the night time setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Sequoia and tried the swap. This instrument panel (IP) has little light dots next to the letters PRND2L and the letters are always all lit green. It was easy, but I do have some tips for others...

As the original poster did, I ordered from superbrightleds.

1. I ordered the Neo4x bulbs just like it says in the first post--THANK YOU!! If you do the same, keep in mind: (a) you do NOT need the high-density LEDs, (2) order the LED in the color of the existing IP dot, and (3) if you order all white LEDs (like I did), they will actually show up on the IP as light blue. It looks fine, but I then chose to keep my old 'R' light so it would stand out.
  2. LEDs have polarity (the existing bulbs don't) just like they say inside the package. This means that if the LED does not work, take it out, turn it 180 degrees, and put it back in.
  3. If an LED does not work, even after trying it and turning it, then one of the other bulbs needs to be taken out and turned 180 degrees. My 'L' would not light up at all . When I turned the '2', the '2' still worked fine and my 'L' started working as well.
  4. There are three connectors on the back of the 2003 Sequoia IP, the only one that you really need to connect when testing is the one that is behind the 'PRND2L' lights. I did notice that when experimenting with turning the bulbs around (see item 2, above) sometimes multiple lights would light up when I moved the transmission to test the next LED. This is no big deal and all seems to work fine when the other two connectors are plugged into the IP.
I hope these little tips help. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
  1. I ordered the Neo4x bulbs just like it says in the first post--THANK YOU!! If you do the same, keep in mind: (a) you do NOT need the high-density LEDs, (2) order the LED in the color of the existing IP dot, and (3) if you order all white LEDs (like I did), they will actually show up on the IP as light blue. It looks fine, but I then chose to keep my old 'R' light so it would stand out.
I originally ordered the standard bulb, but a blue bulb shining through a green lens did not appeal to me. I ordered a couple high intensity bulbs of the colors I decided...These lights shined right through the lens. I reccomend if you want to CHANGE the color of the dots get a high intensity.

PS The high intensity is not as bright as a flashlight, but it stands out. Looks good to me.

On my dash I have:

Park: Green
Reverse: Red
Neutral: White
Drive: Blue
2, L, and O/D are green

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ordered and installed the superbrightled bulbs in my truck. I'm happy with everything except the backlighting on the IP. I ordered both the standard and HD white leds. The standard bulbs fit OK, but the backlighting is patchy and not very bright at all.

The weird thing is that the HD leds would not screw into the back of the IP. Maybe it has something to do with the square shape of the HD bulbs vs. the round shape of the standard bulbs? I plan to pull the whoe IP out and pull the back off to see what's going on in there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weird thing is that the HD leds would not screw into the back of the IP. Maybe it has something to do with the square shape of the HD bulbs vs. the round shape of the standard bulbs? I plan to pull the whoe IP out and pull the back off to see what's going on in there.
Let me know how it ends up. I don't think mine is as patchy as you say yours is. I would like to make it brighter though. I hope it turns out, have been shooting in the dark with all these bulb sizes and need to get the right bulbs. good luck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a question on the O/D light. I was going to replace it with a stock bulb again since this is the second time it's blown out. I'm thinking about doing the LED as you guys have. The problem is that it didn't look like the "Holder" portion of the bulb was removable? Does the new LED fit without reusing the stock holder? While I'm in there, I may do the other drive bulbs PRND2L just above it...but they appear to be a different size than the NEO4x? Let me know if that is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should be able to find a replacement without having to reuse the holder. As for the Neo4x, I cannot speak to a 2002, but thy were correct for a 2003. I pulled one of them and did some basic measurements. Looking at the picture, I was thinking it was going to be the Neo3x, but when I measured just the distance between the contacts, it was clear that 4x was the right choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a question on the O/D light. I was going to replace it with a stock bulb again since this is the second time it's blown out. I'm thinking about doing the LED as you guys have. The problem is that it didn't look like the "Holder" portion of the bulb was removable? Does the new LED fit without reusing the stock holder? While I'm in there, I may do the other drive bulbs PRND2L just above it...but they appear to be a different size than the NEO4x? Let me know if that is correct.
I don't see why a 2002 would be any different. I used some needle nosed pliers and just turned the back of the bulb holder. It should twist right out. If you buy from superbrighLEDs the NEO4x comes with the exact bulb and holder. I do not think you can reuse the existing holder like the other bulbs. Did I answer your question?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let me know how it ends up. I don't think mine is as patchy as you say yours is. I would like to make it brighter though. I hope it turns out, have been shooting in the dark with all these bulb sizes and need to get the right bulbs. good luck
I pulled the IP module completely out of the truck and got it on the workbench. The HP leds fit, but the contacts were a little stiff. It was much easier to swap them out while flat on the table.

I was curious as to how the backlighting was routed to light up the whole IP. Just as I thought, just a clear plastic panel to capture the light and distribute it. I pulled the whole thing apart until I got down to the expensive looking bits. Everything snapped back into place.

The backlighting is much better and much less patchy with the HP leds. Note: Disconnect the battery and let sit a few minutes to clear out the check-engine and traction control lights on the IP. My IP didn't like getting completely unplugged.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The backlighting is much better and much less patchy with the HP leds. Note: Disconnect the battery and let sit a few minutes to clear out the check-engine and traction control lights on the IP. My IP didn't like getting completely unplugged.
Good to hear your getting into the knitty gritty. So does it just spread the light better or is it actually a bright white...or both?

·
Registered
103 Posts
About to replace all the interior lights with super whites from superbrightleds.com :thumb:

Trying to work out what exactly I need.

Lower Door lights - 194? x4
Vanity lights - 194? x2
Rear Vanity lights - what bulb? x3
Rear Hatch light - what bulb? x1
Rear license plate - 168? x2

Also, which style 194 do I want? There are several different options. Is the 360 worth it?

Do I go with the mini wedge or regular?

What are my forgetting? I am not going to do the IP this time around...

Thanks,
Jonny

GO POKES!

1 - 20 of 166 Posts