Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 month's of driving my truck with that annoying cold vibration, i have finally found the solution...Michelin Lattitude HP Tour's 265/50/20. You do have to sacrifice the width of the 295's they origionally came with, but the difference in ride quality is unbelieveable!! Well, they are after all standard on Lexus cars, that should tell you something.

This is my second Tundra, so foolish me never bothered road testing this one before i bought it! I noticed it the next day, but i was working 6 day's a week and had no opportunity to take it back in, and it wasn't as though it was undriveable, so it could wait a few weeks. I got tranfered to Austin, Texas for a brief contract and took it in to get it looked at before i left. The Tech forgot to look at it with the Service and when i mentioned it at pick up, they said sorry and told me to go to Texas and they would sort it threre.........Big Lie!!!!

When i arrived in texas i had a few days before i neded to be anywhere so i took it into the local Dealership. As soon as i started describing the problem, the service manager smiled and told me they were very aware of the problem, and there was nothing they could do. "We tell all our customers before they buy the 20's that they vibrate when cold and thats that, take it or leave it"

Now i agree with what he said. if they're telling you it will do it, and you still buy it, you can't take it back moaning, But i was not told, and i find it unacceptable. With this comment he asked where i bought it from as he had not seen an XSP before, and when he found out it was a Gulf States Edition, he said it was not their problem, the XSP was classed as a aftermarket option to them, just like the Texas Edition was to Gulf States Toyota........Now i'm furious.:mad: NOT YOUR PROBLEM!!!!! NOTHING YOU CAN DO!! TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

OH no, i don't think so, so i'm straight on the phone to Toyota Corporate. Well, for anyone who has not dealt with them, your wasting your time. They're not interested either, they also say tires are not a Toyota issue, i needed to deal with Gulf states, to whom they would not give me the phone number, just told me to call my local dealer and they would make a note in the system.

Many phone calls arguing with the service manager at the dealership where i bought my truck, i was stuck in Texas, and this guy on the phone is telling me he'll have a look at it when i get back, whenever that will be!. I know i put up with it for the first few weeks while i was busy, but that was because i had every faith that they would sort it out, no problems. Now it's a big issue and it wasn't going to go away.

Talking to the Service manager again in Texas, he told me that they only fit Toyo's, and they were worse than the Continentals i had, so even if Gulf states did give them permission to fix it, he would have to fit those....nothing gained. What disturbed me the most about all of these people i was talking to, was that they said the same thing when i told them it vibrates briefly when cold.........."You shouldn't have bought a truck then!!"

This satatement would be true had i bought a Dodge/Ford/Chevy, but i didn't, i bought a $38K Toyota. My fist tundra drove like a car, the difference between the two is night and day for comfort and road noise.

At the beginning of this month i returned from Texas full of fiire about this problem that i wanted correcting. Again they tried getting me to drop it, put up with it, it's a characteristic...blagh blagh blagh....NO WAY, they were sorting it out. Now the Gulf States Service manager is just as much of an *** as the rest of these people i've been dealing with, he will also not move on the matter. For god's sake, we're talking about $1000 for new tires and neither the dealer or Gulf States would pay. This got me really mad, because the dealer had made nearly $90K from me in the last 2 years!

For anyone struggling with this issue, fight and fight and fight, they will fix it. they got so sick of me walking back through the door within 5 minuites of them "fixing it" still complaining, over and over again that they just paid the money between them and got me out of there, but for anyone who doesn't want to make a scene, you'll have to put up with it, unless you have a good dealer with good customer service values. Stay away from Chatham Parkway Toyota in Savannah! for the experience i recieved for something i saw as a small problem, they, or Gulf States toyota for that matter, will ever see another cent of my money, i'd rather travel and recieve the service i think you should get. You never really know what your dealers like untill something has to come out of THEIR pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe I drove for a year with that vibration. I thought it was normal until it started getting really bad. I took it up to the dealer to find out what the problem was and they ordered me new tires. They said there were problems with Conntinetals. Sounds like your dealer didn't want to help you at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't believe I drove for a year with that vibration. I thought it was normal until it started getting really bad. I took it up to the dealer to find out what the problem was and they ordered me new tires. They said there were problems with Conntinetals. Sounds like your dealer didn't want to help you at all.
It's really funny to be reading this. I just had a guy who is a tire rep for Toyo try and sell me "his" 20's off of his Tundra. I asked all kinds of questions about ride and vibration and comfort and limited sidewall on the tires .....etc etc etc.........and told me the "vibration" was a common problem but "fixable" thru proper alignment and rotation. Then, I have noticed many Tundra owners "selling" thier 20's on various auctions and here on TS and going to 18"s instead. After many questions and emails and threads I've read, factory 20's on a Tundra are simply for "Bling" and that is it!!! If "Bling" is what your looking for, get the 20's and don't whine about the way it rides because you will have already known how rough the ride is in the first place with them on there. It seems for some of us Tundra owners who may be a bit older prefer not going over 18. I have the Enkei 18's with 275/55/18 Michelin and the ride is as smooth as any luxury car I would own. Just a thought I had.:cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
mine(X-SP) came with the Latitudes, no problem as of yet. and i would certainly beg to differ concerning aftermarket or not. i bought my truck brand spanking new from the dealer with the 20's. any issues i have IS HIS problem!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My XSP came with the 20" BBS wheels and 295/45/20 BF Goodrich g-force tires and I have 11,000 miles on them and they have never vibrated at all. I couldn't ask for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's really funny to be reading this. I just had a guy who is a tire rep for Toyo try and sell me "his" 20's off of his Tundra. I asked all kinds of questions about ride and vibration and comfort and limited sidewall on the tires .....etc etc etc.........and told me the "vibration" was a common problem but "fixable" thru proper alignment and rotation. Then, I have noticed many Tundra owners "selling" thier 20's on various auctions and here on TS and going to 18"s instead. After many questions and emails and threads I've read, factory 20's on a Tundra are simply for "Bling" and that is it!!! If "Bling" is what your looking for, get the 20's and don't whine about the way it rides because you will have already known how rough the ride is in the first place with them on there. It seems for some of us Tundra owners who may be a bit older prefer not going over 18. I have the Enkei 18's with 275/55/18 Michelin and the ride is as smooth as any luxury car I would own. Just a thought I had.:cool:
Well, don't get me wrong. I love the way the 20's look, I think that was an awesome wheel that Enkei developed exclusively for Toyota. But the possibility of future problems wouldn't get out of my head. The 20's are a bit more rigid in ride, and without the additional sidewall for more cushion for road conditions, for me, I just stuck with the 18's. Besides, the 20' Enkei and the 18' Enkei are identical anyway. I still have the 'bling" effect but with a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The vibration is gone because its a 4ply car tire, with very little tread depth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe some of the guys with the problem can chime in, but this isn't an innocent vibration in my book. I've had plenty of sports cars with 45 series tires and there is a huge difference between firm tire compliance or even a harsh ride and feeling the road and the way the tundra reacts. With the tundra you get to feel every little road imperfection 3,4 or 5 times as the bed shakes and anything on the passenger seat or the cup holder goes wild. It seems to be more of an issue with the inputs from the tires exciting a natural or resonant frequency of the frame and long wheelbase.

They say the frame is stiff, but I don't think so. I just drop my tailgate and can watch the whole truck bend in the middle (gap between cab and bed) more than a few times.

Are you guys telling me that Michellins or 18s will fix my problems? I can handle the $1000 over dumping the truck and losing $10K.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Maybe some of the guys with the problem can chime in, but this isn't an innocent vibration in my book. I've had plenty of sports cars with 45 series tires and there is a huge difference between firm tire compliance or even a harsh ride and feeling the road and the way the tundra reacts. With the tundra you get to feel every little road imperfection 3,4 or 5 times as the bed shakes and anything on the passenger seat or the cup holder goes wild. It seems to be more of an issue with the inputs from the tires exciting a natural or resonant frequency of the frame and long wheelbase.

They say the frame is stiff, but I don't think so. I just drop my tailgate and can watch the whole truck bend in the middle (gap between cab and bed) more than a few times.

Are you guys telling me that Michellins or 18s will fix my problems? I can handle the $1000 over dumping the truck and losing $10K.
Your Truck lowered??

It seems the Tudras have more vibration problems with lifted lowered suspensions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you guys telling me that Michellins or 18s will fix my problems? I can handle the $1000 over dumping the truck and losing $10K.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely promise the Michelin Lattitude's will change the way the truck rides. it's like Night and Day. smooth as silk and much much quieter. Michelin have a great name for a reason

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have 20s with toyos on my tundra and have a slight vibration on when cold. I dont mind it since it goes away in about a mile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts