Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is finally all coming together… I went through a continuous series of mods for the first couple of years or so, then took a bit of a break, now back to getting some more mods done! Going to have new wheels, tires and a lift kit all done as soon as everything arrives! Got the wheels, tires/lift is on its way!
I finally decided to go with the Bilsteins all around… going with about a 2.5” (max) up front with the diff drop and doing 1.5” aluminum blocks in the back. I still want to have some rake in the truck and this will hopefully achieve that without it being quite as dramatic as stock.
For anybody that has done the Bilsteins themselves, were they hard to do? I don’t think the rears should be too much trouble, but I’m concerned about being able to do the fronts myself. I’ll need to find a place that will mount and balance the wheels/tires and give me an alignment as well…
It is going to look pretty good and hopefully drive even better than before! I’m just hoping I can get everything in before the weekend so I can do it then, but not sure if that will happen… my weekends tend to fill up with a lot of other stuff on Friday at about 5pm!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good luck. Looking forward to pics. What are you doing for wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck. Looking forward to pics. What are you doing for wheels?
Got the Alcoa 20" x 10" wheels with Hankooks on 'em! I hope the combo will look good!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I've got the bilsteins up front on the top notch and I love the way it looks. I didn't lift the rear because I didn't want any rake and was only going with a 34" tire. You're gonna love the new look. I'll be looking forward to pics!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Sounds fun. Post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I installed mine myself. This is what I wrote in another thread.

1. block the rear wheels, jack up front end put stands under frame remove front wheels
2. dissconnect anti sway bar from lower control arm both sides, 19mm
3. remove lower strut nut and mounting bolt, 22mm
4. support lower control arm with a small jack
5. remove lower control arm bolts, 22mm, that hold it to the spindle, these are on the bottom two of them 22mm, non tapered fit
6. lower lower control arm, it will only drop 2 inches or so
7. use a pry bar to force the lower A arm down enough to clear the lower strut mount and pull strut out towards you, it will probably pop out
8. remove the remove upper strut mount nuts, 4 of them, 14mm
9. remove strut, it will clear between the steering arm and front half shaft just be careful not to damage the boot as the top studs pass by it.
10. repeat for other side
11. either change over springs to new shocks or prepare coil overs
To install
1. slide new assemply in between the steering arm and half shaft, attach 4 top 14mm strut nuts loosely
2. use a pry bar to force the lower A arm down enough to push the lower strut mount in place, use the pry bar to remove tension to slide bolt through.
3. place a small jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to within a inch or so of the spindle, attach 22mm bolts and tighten
4. remove smalll jack
5. I torqued the 22mm and 19mm to 150 ft/lbs, the 14mm to 25 ft /lbs and the actualy shock bolt to 34 ft/lbs
6. put wheels back on, remove jack stands lower vehicle onto wheels
7. reattach sway bar bolts.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
exact same method for the strut spacers....and u can find instruction videos on youtube if u want. but the write up above is dead on for what i did with my spacer lift. only thing i would suggest is once its all in there, getting those two 22mm bolts back in there can be a real b!tch without a second set of hands to help line it all back up....and FWIW i have a full 3 inches lift in frt and 1.5 blocks in rear if u want to look at my gallery for the most recent pics to see the height and rake....it has a nice rake to it but not as much difference as stock was....to me its perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for all the comments! Yeah, it is definitely exciting that it is coming together like this... I had a lot done the first time around:
  • New Pioneer Head Unit
  • New Dynamat pro wrapped around the inside of all 4 doors
  • New Polk Audio speakers all around
  • New 16 gauge speaker cables
  • New Kicker 5-channel Amp
  • New Kicker Square Sub and self-made sub box
  • New Rockford Fosgate wiring
  • New Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor (removed)
  • New 3M clear plastic protectant for hood, fenders, sides, headlights and bottom 12" all around truck except tailgate
  • New UnderCover bed cover
  • New Chrome Bull Bar and Side Steps (can't remember brand)
  • New DT Headers (shorties)
  • New Borla dual, rear-exit exhaust
  • New TRD sway-bar (with black-widow painting design)
  • New Stebel 300MHz Horn
  • New K&N Filter
  • New Optima Red-Top Battery
  • New Viper 5900 Alarm with dual-sonars and remote start with dual FOBs
  • New CarriageWorks Front grill
So, the truck is definitely coming along! I've been wanting to do the wheels/tires/lift before finally updating my Avatar, but I'll need to fix the bull bar (I dented it during the first big snowfall in November :( )before posting (and giving it a good cleaning as well).

I'll be able to add this to the list once completed...
  • New backup camera and built-in lcd monitor (sunglass holder area)
  • New 20" x 10" Alcoa aluminum forged rims
  • New 305/55r20 Hankook A/Ts
  • New Bilstein 5100s all around with diff. drop and 1.5" rear blocks and 2.5" front lift
And hopefully I can add the following soon:
  • Fog Lights
  • Enhanced LEDs for rear tail lights
  • Weathertech floor mats
  • Projector-style front headlights
  • Clazzio or Katskinz seat covers
  • a Supercharger or Turbocharger (that would be really pushing it!)
(Sigh)... it just never ends (not that I'm complaining though... :becky::becky::becky:)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed mine myself. This is what I wrote in another thread.

1. block the rear wheels, jack up front end put stands under frame remove front wheels
2. dissconnect anti sway bar from lower control arm both sides, 19mm
3. remove lower strut nut and mounting bolt, 22mm
4. support lower control arm with a small jack
5. remove lower control arm bolts, 22mm, that hold it to the spindle, these are on the bottom two of them 22mm, non tapered fit
6. lower lower control arm, it will only drop 2 inches or so
7. use a pry bar to force the lower A arm down enough to clear the lower strut mount and pull strut out towards you, it will probably pop out
8. remove the remove upper strut mount nuts, 4 of them, 14mm
9. remove strut, it will clear between the steering arm and front half shaft just be careful not to damage the boot as the top studs pass by it.
10. repeat for other side
11. either change over springs to new shocks or prepare coil overs
To install
1. slide new assemply in between the steering arm and half shaft, attach 4 top 14mm strut nuts loosely
2. use a pry bar to force the lower A arm down enough to push the lower strut mount in place, use the pry bar to remove tension to slide bolt through.
3. place a small jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to within a inch or so of the spindle, attach 22mm bolts and tighten
4. remove smalll jack
5. I torqued the 22mm and 19mm to 150 ft/lbs, the 14mm to 25 ft /lbs and the actualy shock bolt to 34 ft/lbs
6. put wheels back on, remove jack stands lower vehicle onto wheels
7. reattach sway bar bolts.
BTW, thanks for the helpful instructions!! I'll be sure to use them! I may seek a buddy to give me a hand though! :)

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Whew, you've been busy. Looking forward to seeing those pics.

·
Registered
422 Posts
good luck!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have some awesome guys that I work with @ Merchant's in Westminster if you're willing to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some awesome guys that I work with @ Merchant's in Westminster if you're willing to drive.
JMSinMD, not sure I'll be able to make the drive, but it doesn't hurt to find out... we went out to Westminster about 5 years ago when we first showed our Rhodesian Ridgeback (we didn't want to, but were obligated to until enough of his brothers/sisters qualified that we didn't have to anymore). It was really beautiful country out there.
Having said that, If you can send me a PM with the contact info, that would be great! At least I can give them a call and see if they can help me out on it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts