Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got my bumpers and they have been powder coated and i have them finally on my truck! They were both powder coated with Columbia Black Wrinkle with two coats. My friend does powder coating and metal work and he did a fantastic job. There is no orange peel or any imperfections that i can see on these bumpers. The rear bumper was easy to install but the front was a little bit of a PITA. The weight of the winch added to the weight of the bumper made it just that much more of a wonderful time putting it on and taking it off for fitment. I wish the bumper came with instructions because it was a little more involved than i thought it was going to be. On the front, i ended up having to take a grinder to the fender brackets to get the bumper to slide all the way back to line up with the wheel well opening. I just took some sand paper and roughed up all the metal and some black spray paint to cover up any exposed metal. All and all i am very pleased with it and i have gotten several compliments since i installed it. I still need to wire up all my lights, replace my existing battery, and put some D-rings on the front and rear in the mounting locations. The next thing i plan on powder coating is my wheels. He is going to use the same black wrinkle and only spray the spokes on my rims. The center and the lip will still be chrome. Here are a few pictures of the powder coating and a few pictures of the truck after i washed off about 30lbs of red clay. I'll take some better pictures once i wash it and have all my lights hooked up and no wires wrapped around my trailer hitch haha.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
WOW, great looking truck bro. I think the e-1 bumpers are the best looking on the market, congratulations. btw what winch are you using?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, great looking truck bro. I think the e-1 bumpers are the best looking on the market, congratulations. btw what winch are you using?
Its the Superwinch 9.5 i really like it. I have used it 4 times already and its only been hooked up a little over a week.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Its the Superwinch 9.5 i really like it. I have used it 4 times already and it only been hooked up a little over a week.
4 times in a week, you obviously do quite a bit of off roading. wish I had the chance to do more of that myself but Florida is as flat as Kansas.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 times in a week, you obviously do quite a bit of off roading. wish I had the chance to do more of that myself but Florida is as flat as Kansas.
Well it snowed here only about 2 inches but it might as well have been 4 feet the way people were reacting here. I pulled 3 people out of ditches on the side of the road and helped pull a new holland skid steer out of the mud.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Thing is a HOSS! Nice!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great looking bumpers!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow, you really need some fender flares now! LOL Truck looks awesome, and the bumpers look kick ***.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Incredible looking bumpers,, I was looking at road armor, did you compare? Looks so tough, looks like they are made from some serious hurt.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I love the bumpers, but I think they take away from the luxury-lifted look you had going on. Would have looked super awesome in silver...like a tuff-OEM edition.

But the black...I dunno, especially without having black wheels, they look more like an afterthought because they don't match anything. But the bumpers themselves are incredible. :)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incredible looking bumpers,, I was looking at road armor, did you compare? Looks so tough, looks like they are made from some serious hurt.
Yes they are very heavy duty..lol. Heavy being the key word. I looked at Road Armor, ARB, Fab Four, and Iron Bull but i like the way the Exp's follow the Tundra body lines the best. The other bumpers have to many angles in them for my taste. Im very pleased with them. I installed the rear bumper by myself but it took 3 of us to install the front one. It was a real PITA getting it leveled because everytime we would start to tighten the bolts, the other side would fall. I ended up having to use a jack and a few 8x8 blocks to hold up one side while i tightened the other side.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the bumpers, but I think they take away from the luxury-lifted look you had going on. Would have looked super awesome in silver...like a tuff-OEM edition.

But the black...I dunno, especially without having black wheels, they look more like an afterthought because they don't match anything. But the bumpers themselves are incredible. :)
I really wanted to go with silver, believe me i did, but they didn't have a silver that would come even close for powder coating. We tried 6 different silver powder coats and they were all off just a little. I plan on powder coating my rims the same color to match. Im only doing the spokes, im leaving the lip and the center chrome. It will look sorta like some of the RBP wheels. I plan on taking off and replacing those god awful running boards as well. I might put on some black fender flares as well. It will all look good once its done im hoping.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I really wanted to go with silver, believe me i did, but they didn't have a silver that would come even close for powder coating. We tried 6 different silver powder coats and they were all off just a little. I plan on powder coating my rims the same color to match. Im only doing the spokes, im leaving the lip and the center chrome. It will look sorta like some of the RBP wheels. I plan on taking off and replacing those god awful running boards as well. I might put on some black fender flares as well. It will all look good once its done im hoping.
Ahhh I hear ya...yeah, sometimes you're forced to go the paint route to really match, but then you lose the durability of the powder.

I missed the part about doing the wheels, I think it will look good that way. :tu:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhh I hear ya...yeah, sometimes you're forced to go the paint route to really match, but then you lose the durability of the powder.

I missed the part about doing the wheels, I think it will look good that way. :tu:
I would have gone back with a factory bumper but, i couldn't see spending that much money on a plastic POS bumper when i could spend a few hundred more and get a stronger metal one with more clearance and winch capabilities. I loved they way it looked before but i plan on making it look better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very nice! i am thinking of Expedition One rear bumper myself too! just need to come up with the $$$. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
All I had to cut was these 3 circled spots. Other than that mine went pretty easy. I installed mine with my wifes help (which ain't much!). It was tricky getting both sides to match, but at least it has that much adjustment made into it. Some of the others don't have as much adjustment.

Looks good!! What did you torque everything down to?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
That is a TOUGH looking truck!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
First time for me to say this but the black bumpers on you truck looks good. You going to put lights under the bar on the front?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts