Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just joined a few weeks ago but my new Tundra showed up on sat. morning. I went with Limited DC 5.7 TRD in Silver Sky with Graphite interior and backup camera and cold kit. This truck is replacing an 02 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab Longbed. I miss the length in the bed, but its alot deeper and wider than the Chevy bed was. My thoughts so far.......Wow! What can I say, its a Toyota. I'm finally driving a truck that doesnt rattle its way down the road. I used to love the Chevy but it seemed that everyday I would hear a new rattle. This Tundra is like driving in a Lexus compared to the Chevy. Its not even in the same catagory when it comes to quality. This thing is solid and when you shut the doors you can feel it. The exterior design is beautiful compared to the new Silverados which look stale and boring. Way more power than my old 6.0 Silverado. My only regret is not getting a long bed, but I think I'm just so used to seeing a long bed in the mirror so the Tundra bed just looks smaller to me. I'll get used to it I'm sure.

I took delivery of the Tundra saturday and asked the dealer not to wash it. I didnt want dealer installed scratches and they were willing to work with me. Got it home saturday night so sunday morning I got started. Did a quick wash, then wash/clay, then Einzettes Paint Polish with an orange pad and PC on 5. Then Klasse AIO on a white pad and PC on 4. Then Zaino Z2p on a black pad with PC on 4. Then another layer of Z2p for good measure. Topped it all off with a quick spray of Zaino Z-8. Truck looks amazing and is swirl free and feels like glass. I had the front windows tinted monday( a must here in Florida) and the 3M clear bra is going on friday morning. I'll post some more pics when the bra is finished incase someone want to see it on a Tundra.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and I'm glad to have found this group of fellow Tundra nuts. After having this truck for two days I cant imagine every buying another American car.

Take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on your wonderful new 07! I purchased an 02 new (my first truck) and have loved every minute of it. Baby that baby and my money is that you won't need a coffin when you die in 90 years because you can use the tundra for that too. Best of luck!

Tim

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks great! I am finally picking up my 07' Limited 5.7 DC 4X4 tomorrow...FINALLY!! Anyway, its black with redrock interior....question: I was wondering if you could explain your wash details a little further? I am worried about my truck being black and swirl marks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nice truck!

lol...you got black and are worried about swirl marks? oh boy.....black and swirl marks go hand in hand. Black is nice when it sits forever on the showroom floor--you couldnt give me a black any vehicle, they are nice but maintenance is way to high to keep up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ahh yes black paint and swirls i get to wax my moms tundra it looks awful

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats on the new truck!

This truck is replacing an 02 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab Longbed. I miss the length in the bed
I traded a 03 chevy crew cab dually for my silver sky DC. I was glad to get something smaller and easier to manuver. I put some zaino on mine yesterday. Boy did it bring out the metleflake. I used the dawn wash, ZAIO, Z2pro, and Z8. Next chanc I get, I am going to do the Z7 wash, Z2 pro, Z6, then ZCS. Then I will just do the Z7 wash followed by Z6 or Z8. That will easily last till sep. or oct. when I do some more for winter.

lol...you got black and are worried about swirl marks? oh boy.....black and swirl marks go hand in hand. Black is nice when it sits forever on the showroom floor--you couldnt give me a black any vehicle, they are nice but maintenance is way to high to keep up.

ahh yes black paint and swirls i get to wax my moms tundra it looks awful

You don't have to have swirls. Just a change of habits. Check out the detailersclub.com forums :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congratulations on your new truck! I'd love to see some photos after the clear bra is installed (hopefully larger pics this time ;) )

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Great looking truck, congrats!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great! I am finally picking up my 07' Limited 5.7 DC 4X4 tomorrow...FINALLY!! Anyway, its black with redrock interior....question: I was wondering if you could explain your wash details a little further? I am worried about my truck being black and swirl marks.
Sorry I didnt get to this earlier. My process is a bit tedious and may require me to PM you to explain every little step, but I'll do the best I can without boring anyone.

Detailing isnt what I do for a living, its more of a passionate hobby of mine to do high end detailing. I got into it years back and have gotten pretty efficient at removing swirls and imperfections. As a rule I never let the dealer touch my cars with their "detailing crews". These guys are usually 18 year old kids working for the summer and spend their days adding swirl marks to unsuspecting new car owners. NEVER let them detail your car upon delivery (or after oil changes for that matter). Take it dirty, it will save you a ton of work later on. But tell them you promise to fill out your survey as "completly satisfied" when you get it. They depend on that survey for bonuses and thats is alot of times the reason they insist on cleaning the car for you. But they'll play ball if you explain it to them.

First thing first, invest about $200 in the basics and you'll be set and ready to run with it. Buy a PC (Porter Cable 7336sp) and a velcro backing plate. Buy some pads, they come in different softness for different applications. And buy microfiber towels, lots of them. NEVER use old bath or beach towels to wash or dry your cars.....espically black. Thats the kiss of death for black.

For washing use 2 buckets, one for soap and one for rinsing. Avoid Dawn washings, its alkaline content is too high and is a redundant step if you are claying. The clay will remove any old wax or sealant you had on prior. For clay I like Clay Magic (blue bar) to remove grit and dirt trapped in the paint. I clayed my new Tundra with 12 miles on it and got a ton of stuff out with the clay. Place your hand in a small sandwhich baggie and rub it over the paint while youre washing it. If it feels like sand paper....you need to clay. Check again afterwards and you'll see a huge difference. It will be smooth as glass. Use your car wash shampoo and water as lube for the clay and use plenty of it. When youre finished washing and claying, use a power blower to dry the car, getting water out of all the mirrors and door jams.

Pull the car inside the garage and polish the paint with your PC. I use Einzettes polishes as I've had the most consistent results with them. Use what ever your comfortable with, but for best results avoid the Wal-Mart junk and spend a few bucks on better polishes such as Einzettes, Menzerna, FK1, Zaino, 3M and other boutique brands. They are well worth the money. http://detailersparadise.com/_system/_advancedstore/qryDefault.asp

I set my PC on 5 and used an orange cutting pad with Einzettes Metallic Polish(red can) and did the entire truck. Work each panel for a few minutes or until polish begins to flash over. After buffing off I went to a white pad (which is a light cutting pad) and PC on 4 and applied Klasse AIO(all in one) to the entire truck as a base coat for my sealant. After buffing off I used a black finishing pad and PC set to 4 and applied two layers of Zaino Z2pro, with Z-8 in between each coat. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc If you choose to skip a base coat and go right to Zaino you'll need to re-wash to remove the carnubas in the polishes. Zaino will not bond to the carnubas.

I have other tried and true combinations that work for a specific job depending on the condition of the vehicle, but for my brand new truck with no scratches I chose to attack it lightly on the polish and focus on the synthetic wax. The polish really brought out the metallic in my Silver Sky. For black though I might finish with a carnuba such as P21S (S100 in the Harley dealers at half the price) as this gives it a much deeper finish, but doesnt last nearly as long as a synthetic. Here in Florida I might get a week in the summer with a carnuba, but 5 months with Zaino and trucked parked outside everyday.

Dont listen to the nay-sayers, black is ok if you learn to properly take care of it. Dont use bath towels and buy quality Korean made microfiber towles, not the Chineese ones. Invest in a PC and some pads and change your cleaning habits. Youre truck will thank you and people will notice.

I will post pics of the Tundra with the 3M bra friday night, and they will be bigger. Darn 200 kb limits. lol

Sorry if I ran on too long about that but I hope it helped you out.

Take care,

Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cool...enjoy your new ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats, I also have owned alot of Chevy trucks and they all rattled and every one that i owned had a problem with the steering shaft. It would vibrate when turning. I have owned 5 Chevy's and none of them can compare to the Tundra (Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4) I have now. The only problem that I have had with my truck is that it is so well made that I had a hard time installing all my radar, GPS, XM radio and power converter. But that is a problem I don't mind having. I am glad to see that I am not the only former chevy guy switching to Toyota. Enjoy your truck and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats, I also have owned alot of Chevy trucks and they all rattled and every one that i owned had a problem with the steering shaft. It would vibrate when turning. I have owned 5 Chevy's and none of them can compare to the Tundra (Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4) I have now. The only problem that I have had with my truck is that it is so well made that I had a hard time installing all my radar, GPS, XM radio and power converter. But that is a problem I don't mind having. I am glad to see that I am not the only former chevy guy switching to Toyota. Enjoy your truck and thanks for the post.
Thats funny. Mine also shook at the steering shaft. They had told me it was a bad bearing or some nonsense like that, and replaced it 4 times while under warranty. It had 90,000 miles on it when I traded it in and it shook itself all the way to the dealer. But then again that thing shook all the way home from the dealer the day I bought it back in 02. While it was under warranty it spent more time at the Chevy dealer than it did in my driveway.

I too am adding an XM tuner and antenna and noticed how well the Tundra is built and saw that there are hardly any seems in the dash for disassembly. Was your XM install difficult and which tuner or kit did you use? And where did you purchase it?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Mark,
I have a Delphi XM Skyfi2 System. The antenna was not a problem to install, you just have to pull back some of the rubber door seal and hide the wire under there. The only problem I really had was I had too run a wire from the center console to the power the radio. I also have bucket seats so it made it tricky since everything is so tight and fitted. I mounted mine just under the temp guage. Just used some velcro and ran the wires by the steering column. By the way The radio I have came with a tape and wire but you can also use it by tuning to a certain radio station. It has a FM modulator but I don't really like the FM modulator bucause it cuts out alot and if you travel alot you have to constantly change the station to keep a clear signal. So what I did was bought a aux. jack wire the kind used for ipods and I just hooked it direct into my aux jack on the radio in the tundra. It is always clear and never have to change stations anymore. If you have any questions just send me a pm and I willl try to help any way I can.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Mark,
I have a Delphi XM Skyfi2 System. The antenna was not a problem to install, you just have to pull back some of the rubber door seal and hide the wire under there. The only problem I really had was I had too run a wire from the center console to the power the radio. I also have bucket seats so it made it tricky since everything is so tight and fitted. I mounted mine just under the temp guage. Just used some velcro and ran the wires by the steering column. By the way The radio I have came with a tape and wire but you can also use it by tuning to a certain radio station. It has a FM modulator but I don't really like the FM modulator bucause it cuts out alot and if you travel alot you have to constantly change the station to keep a clear signal. So what I did was bought a aux. jack wire the kind used for ipods and I just hooked it direct into my aux jack on the radio in the tundra. It is always clear and never have to change stations anymore. If you have any questions just send me a pm and I willl try to help any way I can.
Thanks for the quick reply. On my last truck I self installed a pretty decent system. I used an aftermarket headunit and plugged the Sirius tuner into its "aux" port on the rear, then used the "pass thru" port on the tuner for my iPod. I ran the antenna from the tuner under the carpet and up thru the headliner and thru the top of the third tail light onto the rear of the roof of the truck. I was hoping to do the same thing with the Tundra, by running the antenna thru the third tail light. But I want the XM tuner that plugs into the head unit directly, not the FM modulator. Every FM modulator I've ever heard always seems to sound like decent AM quality. I've seen a few post here about an XM tuner/antenna combo from Terk I think. It plugs right into the back of the head unit giving you clear digital quality XM.

My Tundra is a DC Limited with the center console and it looks like I have to be creative while looking for areas to run wires while maintaining a clean factory look. Thanks for the advice on where to pull wires, I really appreciate that.

Take care,

Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you guys know if a SIRIUS will plug into the "aux" port in the front of a limited w/the JBL?

I have a SIRIUS Sport in my F-250 I want to move to the Tundra. It's plugged into the aux in the back of a Kenwood there.

I hate using FM...too much bleedover...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you guys know if a SIRIUS will plug into the "aux" port in the front of a limited w/the JBL?

I have a SIRIUS Sport in my F-250 I want to move to the Tundra. It's plugged into the aux in the back of a Kenwood there.

I hate using FM...too much bleedover...

I was wondering if I could buy an adapter for Toyota head units that allow me to plug in my Sirius tuner instead of an XM into the rear of the head unit. I know XM and Sirius are trying to merge later this year but I already have my Sirius tuner from the old truck and was hoping I didnt have to buy a whole new XM tuner too.

Is the SAT button on the JBL headunit set up for either Sirius or XM or just strictly XM?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Beautiful Truck! :tu:
Excellent concise post on how to detail your truck too. I have a Portal Cable/velcro pads setup you described. The only difference is I use Griots Clay. I got use to the way the yellow color showed the dirt. Unbelieveable how clay works & plays into the process.

Again, congrats on your new tundra.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Beautiful Truck! :tu:
Excellent concise post on how to detail your truck too. I have a Portal Cable/velcro pads setup you described. The only difference is I use Griots Clay. I got use to the way the yellow color showed the dirt. Unbelieveable how clay works & plays into the process.

Again, congrats on your new tundra.
Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Groits is great. They have tons of stuff. I havent tried their clay yet. I've had such good results with Clay Magic. I did try Meguires once (white bar) and it scuffed up the car pretty good. The PC took out the scuff marks but it was just the fact that it did it in the first place.

I detailed my dads new car for him in January and he thought it didnt need clayed and polished cause it was so new, but he couldnt believe all the junk that the clay took out. A month later and he wants me to get him a PC and some pads for his birthday. lol

How bout sharing your process. I always like to hear other peoples techniques.

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts