Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit the bullet today when Discount Tire called to say the new tires had arrived. Put on the new 305/65/18 AT KOs and man, what a difference. Looks great, rides great, and really fills out the wheel wells properly. Discount Tire did a great job as always, even trimmed the skid plate for me...cut it at an angle, buffed out the rough edges and spray painted the new metal black...nice touch. Currently running 50psi with no ride difference...except the soft and squishy feeling is gone, which is fine by me.

The Bilstein 5100s arrive on Friday and my dealership will be installing them next week. Still deciding between the middle setting and the highest setting of 2.5". I took a number of photos of the install process for those of you wondering about upgrading your tire size...I'll try posting them soon!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Wildtrout...nice name! Flyfish much? Where in WWA are you? congrats on a good tire choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fish too much, but wait...not possible. Seattle Metro area...Still having trouble uploading all my photos...they were all taken at 9mp, too big for the gallery here, any tips?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Fish too much, but wait...not possible. Seattle Metro area...Still having trouble uploading all my photos...they were all taken at 9mp, too big for the gallery here, any tips?
I'm assuming you have a lift but I didn't see it in your signature?? You will love those tires!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lift yet...all stock. Bilstein 5100s next week, front only...maybe mid or highest setting.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Photobucket will automatically resize the image if you change the drop-down menu to 800x600.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Oh, and dont' forget to have it aligned after the lift install if you want to keep those tires from getting chewed up real fast.

-rockstate

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Photobucket will automatically resize the image if you change the drop-down menu to 800x600.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Oh, and dont' forget to have it aligned after the lift install if you want to keep those tires from getting chewed up real fast.

-rockstate
This is great advice. Hell I had an alignment and I'm still getting extra outside wear :frustrated3d:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Cool, me too. Same area as well...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Maylon, you running the 5100s, right? That seems to be a common trait of those. Somebody posted that big thread about spacer lifts pros and cons and it mentioned the cons of those. VERY interesting - and it was on the first page, if you decide to dig it up tongiht. If not, i'll work on it in the morning.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/suspension-and-axle/133913-why-most-spacer-lifts-are-bad/

To make it simple and the way I understand it!

If the coilover is not under pressure and is (for arguement sake) 10" long, then the UCA and LCA ball joints allow a droop of 11" long you don't have any problems.

However if you add a 2" spacer to the top of the coilover you are now making the relaxed, drooped, unsprung length of the coilover 12" long.

This is 1" greater than the UCA and LCA ball joints can handle and begin to bind.

The after market coilovers are 11" long but the spring compression is adjustable and therefore allows the truck to ride at a taller height. All the while it doesn't actually put the ball joints into any bind because they are not longer than the UCA and LCA ball joints can handle.

Hope this helps.

Found it.. gotta love Google.

-rockstate

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gentlemen, my dealership will be doing the 5100 shock install as well as alignment...I knew it, they suggested it, and they're great techs...this way at least I have a warranty on everything except the actual semi inexpensive parts...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
That's cool. My dealership SUCKS!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pics are up...enjoy the detail!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maylon, so you and I are running the same truck and the same tires and wheels...are you happy with the full 2.5" the 5100s give you? Did you do a diff drop? Any problems without? I really, really don't want to f'up my ride feel, or get funny noises...thanks!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Those tires look great, nice job and nice pics.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I have two wheel drive so no diff drop. I love everything about the look! I would suggest that you watch the tires closely for a while and look for premature wear especially the outside of the front tires. I'm about to take the running boards off finally, I think it looks like it sits higher without them. I plan to buy n-fabs eventually when i can afford them!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have two wheel drive so no diff drop. I love everything about the look! I would suggest that you watch the tires closely for a while and look for premature wear especially the outside of the front tires. I'm about to take the running boards off finally, I think it looks like it sits higher without them. I plan to buy n-fabs eventually when i can afford them!
Haha i see ya took the running board off now.

And wildtrout yea your gonna love the 305's they look great on leveled tundra's and they sure are a popular additon.

Ive got a Toytec 2.5/1 Level lift and it seems that the outside of my tires are wearing also but not real bad, they still have the little fuzzy things on them all around after 9K so im thinking its just from turning at quicker speeds at times and turing the wheel when the trucks not moving...so i can wedge this thing into my garage. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts