Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting rid of the stock Bridgestones. Those tires were good for pavement only. I've searched long and hard for tires and finally settled on the BF's based on reviews and price. I considered multiple options including the Kumho all terrain at Tirerack which were about $170 a piece. I even considered retreads by Treadwright but by the time I had them shipped and installed they were only $40 cheaper than new tires. I found the BFGoodrich's for $186 per tire at Belletire.com. Discounttire price matched plus there is a $60 rebate + discounttire has $50 off any 4 tires in OH And IN which will end up getting me to about $750 total for the 275-70-18's. I'll post some pics later.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
That's a good deal. I paid about 1100 for my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.

One thing is for sure...good truck tires are not cheap!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, So I have driven about 100 miles so far. I am surprised to find that these are quiet given their tread pattern. They are honestly not much louder than stock. Now for the bad: They are not balanced well at this point. I watched them balance them at Discounttire and they put on 10oz of weight per wheel. I am getting a shimmy from 55-70mph. It's not bad and I am considering waiting a few more miles to see if they "settle in" any. Honestly, the look is a little more than what I wanted. I had them "reverse mount" so I only have blackwalls. Hopefully they even out or they can balance them better.

I'm sorry. But that's just my opinion. Many people like them.
So you don't like yours???

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
So you don't like yours??
This is the only set I've owned and they were on the truck when I bought it. They have about 50% tread left and are weather checked and cracking - some of them very deep. They look like they should be 20-30 years old. Another guy at work had a set and the same thing happened after only 2 years. I've had no balancing issues and they seem to wear good. Like I said though, lots of people love them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had a set of them on my dakota and loved them. They seem to last forever and had no problems. I will be getting new rims and some BF's here in next couple of months hopefully.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp, went back to Discounttire and the first time they balanced them they stacked the weights. You guessed it, the first revolution and the caliper knocked off a bunch of the weights. So they rebalanced and said all is good. So all is not good. They are still vibrating around 60mph so I guess another trip back to DT on Saturday. With this many trips, I could have gotten some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's for the same price :lol:

By the way. Gas mileage is tricky to tell yet. I haven't adjusted for tire size and don't know if the truck is actually calculating it correctly. Plus I am not sure about the original mpg's either. I am sure that I am losing some mpg's with the bigger tire and the AT tread pattern.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
They came stock on my RW. Can't stand them. they throw rocks, they howl running 75 and they don't like the black ice from this winter. I will end up going back the the Cooper Zeon LTZ's that were on my Ram or something else before i buy another set of these.

·
Registered
333 Posts
what air pressure are you running?
I started mine at 40 psi and had some shaking from 55-60 then went to 48 psi and the shakes stopped

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have TA/KO's on my 20inch rims. I'm running 49psi front and 45psi rear (per the sticker). These are definitely not quiet but then again, these're not pavement only tires AND these are E rated!

If my truck sits for a couple of days, I may get a bit of steering wheel shake (probably due to the flat spots) that goes away after they warm up.

I haven't rotated/switched my tires yet and after almost 30k miles I see some bad wear on the outside of the front tires only (rear thread looks brand new!). I think our Tundra's have some weird front wheels geometry during the turns, that makes them wear this way.

I'd love to hear comments from other members regarding front tire wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Is your truck lifted at all? I'd love to run this same tire, but am hesitant to put a lift on the truck. Also, I was wondering if you have noticed any issues with the VSC or ABS. I've been looking at a lot of threads where folks have had problems with increasing tire size. I'd like to go a bit bigger than stock, but really don't need any extra headaches.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Is your truck lifted at all? I'd love to run this same tire, but am hesitant to put a lift on the truck. Also, I was wondering if you have noticed any issues with the VSC or ABS. I've been looking at a lot of threads where folks have had problems with increasing tire size. I'd like to go a bit bigger than stock, but really don't need any extra headaches.

Thanks,
Ken
My truck is not lifted. I have had no problems with VSC or abs. Mileage is essentially the same. And the speedometer is correct now :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Next time you get a balance make sure they use an adapter on the back of your wheel. I believe discount tire uses hunter equipment. In my experience they often don't use the adapter which causes the wheel to not balance properly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts