Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a regular cab, long bed, 2005. Just bought it the other day. I want to get a camper shell for it. Because I am working with insurance money (replacing a totalled Colorado) I am on a budget, and seeking for used shells through Craigslist. I have read on some sources that there's a high degree of exchangability between the Chevy fullsize and the first generation Tundras. Is that true? I see a lot of camper shells for sale that are on Chevy's but none on Tundras so I'm wondering what is the street word on these things? Can you exchange the same shell on a Chevy and Tundra? What about other makes? I see late model Ford's are completely unique with that swoop thing with the rear window so I suppose those Ford's are out of the question but what about older ones when they were more or less rectangular?

Much appreciated to those in the know who will share some wisdom with me! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I've got a regular cab, long bed, 2005. Just bought it the other day. I want to get a camper shell for it. Because I am working with insurance money (replacing a totalled Colorado) I am on a budget, and seeking for used shells through Craigslist. I have read on some sources that there's a high degree of exchangability between the Chevy fullsize and the first generation Tundras. Is that true? I see a lot of camper shells for sale that are on Chevy's but none on Tundras so I'm wondering what is the street word on these things? Can you exchange the same shell on a Chevy and Tundra? What about other makes? I see late model Ford's are completely unique with that swoop thing with the rear window so I suppose those Ford's are out of the question but what about older ones when they were more or less rectangular?

Much appreciated to those in the know who will share some wisdom with me! Thanks!
No advice on the camper shell but welcome to the best forum on the internet for First Generation Tundras and CONGRATULATIONS on the best AMERICAN made truck money can buy!

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. Except for an access cab. I noticed the difference in bed dimensions between the chevy and tundras were about an 1" - 1.5" (total difference, so 0.5" - 0.75" on each side. The main difference is the angle of the rear of the cab. A couple of degrees difference but, have seen some trucks with a different shelll and it didn't look right. All I can say is keep your out on craigslist. I just found a fiberglass shell for the tundra access cap for $50. Need to touch it up a bit, replace shocks, fix some small minor cracks and paint (rattle can truck armor paint). I'll keep a look out for you in my area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know but I have a 2002 extended cab and have a Leer camper shell on it and it matched up perfectly. I first had a Century Camper put on it and it stuck out past the tailgate about an inch or more. Made them take it off and get my money back.
Had a Leer put on and it looked good.

A.R.E are good ones as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts