Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted these questions under tires and wheels but this may be the better place for response since I have a Gen 1 2006 Tundra. Sorry for the duplicate posts.

I ordered a set of Firestone Destination AT 265/70-17R load range C tires for my 2006 Tundra Access cab V6 2WD with limited slip. The distributer sent Firestone Transforce AT 265/70-17R load range E instead of the Destination AT load range C. My dealer said since they had made a mistake in the tires he would sell me the Transforce for the same price as the Destination. The Transforce is supposed to be $23.00 more per tire. I went ahead and had him install the Transforce tires and he said if I did not like them he would swap them out even for the Destinations. I am not convinced that the E range tire is the right choice for my truck since it is a light weight V6 truck. He told me to just reduce the air pressure to around 35 pounds in the tires and they would be fine. Is this true? Should I swap out for the Destination? From what I have read the Destination is a better all round tire. Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
You will like the Destinations a lot better. I do not have any experience with the Transforce except the reviews and descriptions on Tire Rack but it seems those are heavy truck road tires. My Destinations are quiet, very secure on wet and dry roads. I pulled a Wrangler from a mud hole last Sunday. His motor died in the hole so he was unable to assist me. Pulled him right out. No wheelspin at all. Good looking tires, also. Better looking on the truck than in the show room. Good luck! I think you should try them.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have a 2005 DC with the v8, I replaced the original Goodyear's (that were almost bald at 32K) with the Firestone Destination AT's, and they are the best tires I have ever owned. They now have 34K on them and are not even half worn. They are quiet, yet have a fairly aggressive tread, they hold the road and the ride is superb. I do not know about the Transforce, but I will buy Destination AT's as long as they are made.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Get the destinations. I had some on my 99 4runner that when I sold it the tires had about 40,000 miles on them. They where awesome in the winter. Not that you need them for the winter, but you never know.

I will pron be getting some once my current Dunflops get bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I go with the Destinations should I go with the 4 ply (passenger tire) or 6 ply (load range C)? These tires are for my son's truck which he has added the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks for a 2.0" lift in the the front. Now he wants to go with a taller tire (from 245/70-16 to 265/70-17) to fill out the rim wells. My concerne is for his saftey and that with a 2" lift and about 1.5" more tire height that he needs firmer sidewalls to help make the truck handle better. I have made up my mind to return the Transforce and go with the Destination AT or Bridgestone Revo AT. I don't think the Revo comes in a 6 ply. Do I really need a 6 ply?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You are correct they are heavier. I think the dealer told me 4 - 5 pounds per tire heavier. How does a heavier tire impact the ride or performance of the truck?
it impacts a lot. it's more weight for your truck to haul around. it takes more power, more effort to turn a heavier tire so you will burn more gas. a heavier tire will take longer to stop, therefore your brakes will work harder to stop them.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
it impacts a lot. it's more weight for your truck to haul around. it takes more power, more effort to turn a heavier tire so you will burn more gas. a heavier tire will take longer to stop, therefore your brakes will work harder to stop them.

My mpg is in the mid to 15's to once into the low 16's with these tires so I'm not complaining. My tundra eats brakes anyways so there is nothing new there. So far I like these tire but the true test will be in the winter time. I had the tires put on in April 09 at 137k and now have 145K. They seem okay so far. If I get 25K out of them then I'll be glad. Had the Bridgestone duelers at revos before 2 sets of them and they were decent tires but like to shimmy a lot when getting down towards the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts