Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! First time poster, have a 2018 SR5 5.7 Double cab long bed, bought it used from a dealership a few weeks ago and have loved it. I'm so happy I went this route instead of the F150 I was pursuing.

Small issue/observation, since I don't know if this is even a problem.

On/around my first 1-2 shift after shifting to drive, after startup, I feel and hear a weird sound, like a gentle growl/grind. I feel it through the accelerator pedal, seems like it is coming from the transmission? It ONLY makes this sound on the first 1-2 shift after startup, you can do whatever you like after that, you'll never hear it again.

This is the only real quirk my truck has, the 2009 volvo I traded in for it did this too, but that had 95K miles and the truck has ~5K. I am technically minded and have worked on cars my whole life, and I can't think of anything that would cause a noise only once right after startup, that any feasible shifting combination wouldn't reproduce.

I can't find anything about this anywhere, was hoping that starting a thread might get me somewhere.

This is the only real quirk my truck has, everything else is perfect. Engine runs super smooth, trans shifts and holds gears super well, the mileage isn't even that bad! I'm getting just shy of 20mpg @65mph, and 18-19 with my 14' kayak in the bed @55.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Want to add that it seems this noise occurs every time the truck first hits 5mph after startup, happens hot and cold, no difference. Thoughts, anyone? I'd ask a local dealership but I don't trust anyone with a buck to make when it comes to cars, generally speaking, so haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just the way it is driving stick, you stop accelerating the moment you disengage the clutch. You could flat foot shift and dump the clutch every gear but then it won't be smooth and you'll likely destroy your clutch and transmission unless your car was built with or has has this capability tuned in.
My truck isn't manual, it's got an automatic transmission...

Just to be sure I'm clear...

1) start engine + wait 15 seconds or so
2) foot on brake, disengage parking brake
3) put it in drive
4) @4-5mph, little grinding noise/clunk
5) 1-2 shift (distinctly separate from the noise)

You can do whatever you like at this point, you'll never hear the noise again. Until you stop the engine, then the first time it hits 4-5mph, grind/clunk again, hot or cold, doesn't matter if you drove for 10 minutes or 10 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow up.. does anyone else's truck make a whirring noise that starts at one pitch and increases for maybe a second right after stopping the engine? Could this be related to that, and I'm just hyper aware of the noises my truck makes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts