Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
Thought I would show my first ever attempt at detailing.
Following the advice of Brandon :tu: and advice on Autopia, I bought the full Porter Cable 7424 kit and you can see the before and after results.

Vehicle was a black 2003 Tacoma. 96,000 kms, 60,000 miles. Didn't get all the swirls out, about 85% removed. Multiple hits of Optimum Compound wasn't quite enough to get the deep swirls, so will look into a more aggressive cut for next time. Suggestions?

Process was as follows:

wash
clay bar
Optimum Compund
Menzerna Final Polish II
Red Moose Glaze
Poorboy's Natty Blue

Thanks again to Brandon for his helpful posts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
That looks fantastic dude! Any whole car shots?

Also, Optimum compound for me is almost strong enough for everything I work on. How fast are you buffing the 2x2 area? It should take you (with a dime size amount of OC) about 3-5min per 2x2 area to buff, or until the polish flashes and becomes transparent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pollock,
I'm new to detailing also and what you did looks great. Did you use the white polishing pad? If you move up to the orange pad I think you will be able to get the rest out because from what I read OC with an orange pad is pretty aggressive and I've seen people get out swirls that looked worse than yours. Great job for your first time:tu: .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks fantastic dude! Any whole car shots?
See attached

Also, Optimum compound for me is almost strong enough for everything I work on. How fast are you buffing the 2x2 area? It should take you (with a dime size amount of OC) about 3-5min per 2x2 area to buff, or until the polish flashes and becomes transparent.
I am using OC with orange pad. I find the product flashes before 3-5 mins have elapsed? Truck was cool to the touch and in the shade. Definitely not getting 3-5 mins before going translucent, more like 1-2 mins. Spread around on PC speed 3, buffed at 5 and sometimes 6. Slower buffing speed next time?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Ehh, maybe you need something with more cut, or maybe a rotary? I dont recomend getting a rotary, to much money unless you are going to use it every day (like me).

For more cut, you can try some Optimum Hyper-Compound, Hi-Temp Extreme Cut, or Menzerna PowerGloss via Orange pad on PC. Those would get it out better than OC, but they are a one time deal, once you use them once, you prob. wont need to use them again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts