Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed at highway speeds, my hood flapping in the wind, mostly on the passenger side. I've confirmed that it's down and latched. It's not moving much, maybe a quarter inch, but it freaks out whoever's riding with me to see it move.

I have new hood struts coming since they were getting weak recently. I noticed some rubber bumper/spacers/supports halfway up fender that are kind of old and stiff. I was wondering about replacing them, but I don't know what the proper name/part number for them is, or if doing all of this will help my hood problem. I don't see any pedestal supports at the front corners like I've seen with other vehicles.

The in-cabin hood latch itself opens easily, but with no "pop". I have to pull the hood up to access the safety latch in the grill indicative of maybe a tired hood spring? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently drove on the highway and noticed the same thing. To fix, i lengthened the rubber stops to prevent the movement. I just require a little more pressure when closing the hood now, but no more crazy movement of the hood at highway speeds. Not sure how this changed over the years....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I need to do this as well, sounds easy enough. Maybe add some washers under the rubber stops to elevate it. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
100 Posts
They bumpers should be a screw type on the front hood. Just screw it counterclockwise until it makes the hood flush. They are pretty long from what i saw. But you just need a few turns

·
Registered
95 Posts
First adjustment I had to make after driving my truck on 90 miles of highway and watching it shutter in the wind. Easy fix as Tekem posted.. Chap

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've stopped on the side of an exit ramp multiple times to double check the hood. On the 4runner and Tacoma forums people talk about adding a rubber stop thingy in the middle of the hood, on top of the firewall. Apparently, it puts a little bit of pressure on the hood and keeps it from shaking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Because its a screw type rubber stopper, im thinking at highway speeds, the wind acts like a little chisel/hammer and constant vibrations cause the screw to backout and retreat into the hood. I may have adjusted it twice ever. Definitely had to do it last week cause the hood looked possessed while driving

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried “unscrewing” them today without much luck. Looks like it’s pressure fitted rubber into the metal hole. I’ll take another look tomorrow but didn’t want to risk ripping the rubber stop if that’s what I’m going to do. Need to do more research and find the part so I can have a backup plan but also understand how it actually fits in with a screw type as mentioned or maybe it just needs to be yanked out a little for more of the rubber to be exposed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is what i have on my vehicle

Thats what I have on my 03 as well.. Tried to "Unscrew" them and it didnt really budge. It looks like 3 rubber washers on there, both of my last "washers" are ripped in half probably from pressure. Ill give it another twist today. This is probably the easiest thing to do on the truck and its giving me a hard time lmao. Might just pick up some new ones and call this good. It has to be a reasonably priced item, found some generics through Amazon for about $18 but haven't picked anything up yet. Maybe ill swing by Toyota today and check.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
They arent washers, they are threaded rubber bumpers. They should look similar to the link below. They've been there for years so there probably a little dried out and and wont turn due to all kinds of crap thats sat in there for a long time. Give them a blast of water to clean all the dirt off and maybe even a dab of dish soap to act as a lubricant to make them turn easier. If they are trashed I cant see them being a lot of money at your local dealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They arent washers, they are threaded rubber bumpers.
Yea washers, threaded rubber bumpers, same same. They twist but they dont unscrew. Just kinda twist in place.. and they aren't dried out so im still confused but thats me sitting here on my computer and not down under the hood where I should be.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Totally dumb question but you are looking in the right spot correct? I think 2 are adjustable and other ones are fixed. I always thought the threaded ones were on the rad support and not the hood. Cant say since I dont have a Sequoia but most Toyotas are same idea.

Reactions: TahoeTraveler

·
Registered
99 Posts
Totally dumb question but you are looking in the right spot correct? I think 2 are adjustable and other ones are fixed. I always thought the threaded ones were on the rad support and not the hood. Cant say since I dont have a Sequoia but most Toyotas are same idea.
Haha not a dumb question but YES Im looking in the right spot, just took a pair of pliers and got it popped out a little more to support the hood.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've successfully adjusted my hood bumpers and now there is no hood flap at speed. They are two hexagonal rubber nubs on the front corners of the underside of the hood.

I didn't know they were adjustable by just looking at them, but I just twisted them by hand and I saw they they were adjusting out. I was expecting a more bolt-like pedestal bumper so I had over looked it. I just needed one or two turns.

In any case, the hood is flush with the fenders now, has a more positive "pop" when using the inside release, and seems more secure then it was at speed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In any case, the hood is flush with the fenders now, has a more positive "pop" when using the inside release, and seems more secure then it was at speed.
Oh the pop of the hood is nice! I was jamming something under my hood (Stick, Key Fob, Anything I could find) to get it to pop before adjustment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts