Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had my first hands-on look at an '07 today at Classic Toyota in Round Rock. I was hoping that they would have a CrewMax on hand but no such luck. Since I have no intention of buying one from this dealership, I did not waste a salesman's time on a busy Saturday afternoon with a futile test drive.

They had about 5 DC's and a couple of regular cabs. Two were Limited. None were really configured very well. The Texas edition chrome 20"'s are not as good looking as alloy wheels. One limited had a horrible woodgrain applique on the dash and console. It's shiny and is obviously not adhered well to the dash because it moves when you push on it. When you look at the vents you can see the edge of the plastic. It's just terrible.

A CrewMax Limited is probably going to be my next truck so I wish I could say that I was impressed but I wasn't. There are plenty of cheap looking and feeling plastic surfaces both inside and out - the "chrome" door handles, silver-colored knobs, console, steering wheel controls, etc.

There is less window visibility all-around than my '02 Ram Quad Cab. Slightly less at the top of the winshield; less at the lower end of the driver and passenger side and a lot less in the rear window, especially with the rear headrests. The console does take up a lot of room compared to a column-shifter so I will have to get used to it. The side-mirrors are boxy and kind of cheap looking.

I'm 6'1" and my knees did touch the back of the front seat although I wouldn't consider it to be cramped. The leather in the Limited wasn't of exceptional quality. It's textured like a football and would not cause on eto slide around unless you went nuts with the Armor-All.

The metal in the doors and tailgate do not seem as heavy/solid as those in my Ram. I would love to feel how heavy the tailgate is without the assist.

I can understand why dealers seem to want to configure most of these to be in the mid $30K's MSRP with smaller V8's, SR5 trim, and 18" wheels. These don't really look like $40K vehicles. I have heard that if you don't hit the right price-point with customers, some vehicles can sit on the lot for months.

I'm going to give it another look when the CrewMaxes come in and will definitely wait to see if factory discounts kick in in the next few months. This is not a vehicle that I'm willing to pay a premium price for at this point. However, it's either a new Tundra for me or I hang on to my Ram until I see what the new Rams are going to look like over a year from now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
grab the edge of the front bumper any tug at it

then go to an 06 or tacoma and do the same thing. The 07 Tundra is not built as solid as the previous generation. I really wanted to like it more but in really looking at it up close for 3 weeks i decided to go trade my 2000 ac tundra for an 07 double cab 4x4 tacoma trd off road. I got a killer deal, out the door for 25,500 brand new with the tow package and trd off road and auto tranny. I pick it up Monday, i have to fly from SC to Detroit, then 2 h drive to Battle Creek Mi. Sunshine Toyota ask for Dennis, great guy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: grab the edge of the front bumper any tug at it

then go to an 06 or tacoma and do the same thing. The 07 Tundra is not built as solid as the previous generation. I really wanted to like it more but in really looking at it up close for 3 weeks i decided to go trade my 2000 ac tundra for an 07 double cab 4x4 tacoma trd off road. I got a killer deal, out the door for 25,500 brand new with the tow package and trd off road and auto tranny. I pick it up Monday, i have to fly from SC to Detroit, then 2 h drive to Battle Creek Mi. Sunshine Toyota ask for Dennis, great guy
Hope you enjoy your high performance V-6. Tacomas are great trucks, but your asessment of the '07 is simply not true.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I got a much different feel than the original poster I guess in relation to the Tundra compared to my 05 Dodge Ram that I traded in. The seats are much more comfortable, but it could be due to the buckets/bench. The interior is 10x more luxurious in the Toyota. I had some rattles/creaks in the Dodge (which had under 6k on it) and the Toyota feels much tighter and just better put together. On the outside the same theme continued, The Dodge has some questionable body gaps and hood overlap on the drivers side, whereas the Toyota is pretty uniform and tight. So far the only thing Id give to the Dodge is the power seat was nice, but I actually prefer the driving position w/ the telescoping wheel in the Toyota so thats negligible. Side mirrors, maybe unfairly I always really disliked the Dodges and refered to them as "Mickey Mouse" ears even when I still owned the Dodge. Needless to say I like the Toyotas better.

So all in all, I guess you can see why I traded. Not even mentioning the unbelievable difference in powertrain from the "Hemi" to the IForce 5.7 motor/tranny. And lastly, I was getting 8-10mpg, up to 12mpg on the highway in the "Hemi" and got 17mpg w/ under 500 miles on the first tank through the Toyota. Im all smiles so far.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been averaging 16.5 mpg ,my last tank startled me.I got almost 18 mpg with just a tad more highway miles than normal.This is NO BULL----,250 MILES 14 GALLONS TO FILL ,you do the math.It appears it's just getting loosened up at 2400 miles .A truck this size getting those numbers inpresses me.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts