Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on changing my oil at 1000 mi. , I just can't stand having the "break in" oil in the crankcase any longer then that. My favorite oil has always been Mobil 1 ,still , would like to hear some recomendation on both of thses thoughts. May be use Castrol synthetic, as the dealer says it has Castrol in there from the factory(regular blend). Thanks for any input

·
Registered
621 Posts
I feel the same way. The dealer said the oil doesn't need to be changed. The best thing about going ahead and changing out the oil is it definitely will not hurt the engine and it gives me some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My dealer specifically said NOT to change the oil early. He said the factory oil contains special additives that help the engine break in properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My dealer specifically said NOT to change the oil early. He said the factory oil contains special additives that help the engine break in properly.

Honda tells people that as well, but I have to think that is just a bunch of BS? I ALWAYS belive in getting the "break-in" oil out after about 500 miles.

Zack

·
Registered
202 Posts
You guys no doubt bought a Toyota because you think it's a well engineered product. Right? Well, don't you think the engineers would say change the oil sooner if it was needed? I really don't think it will hurt anything but i do think it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
848 Posts
when i changed my oil at 700 miles i drained the filter and checked every little crevice of it ...i found alot of metal shavings so i believe it does no harm in doing it early ... and besides after my oil change i used oem dealer 0w20 my gas mileage increased so i see no harm in changing the oil early

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why do you believe that? Sounds like 60's thinking.

Because from the dawn of internal combustion engines to today (4/28/07) not much has changed in terms of actual metal shavings entering the oil with a new or rebuilt engine. Everyone should feel free to do what they want with their car/truck, I ALWAYS change mine at 500 miles, and I do not think it is a waste of money, you just spent upwarrds of $35,000 on a new truck, what is $40 or $50 bucks?

Zack

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been told that Mobile 1 is the best synthetic oil on the market. It comes loaded in new Corvettes, Vipers etc. with manufactures reccomendation to use nothing else. I'm sure other brands are fine but this is what I live with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Because from the dawn of internal combustion engines to today (4/28/07) not much has changed in terms of actual metal shavings entering the oil with a new or rebuilt engine. Everyone should feel free to do what they want with their car/truck, I ALWAYS change mine at 500 miles, and I do not think it is a waste of money, you just spent upwarrds of $35,000 on a new truck, what is $40 or $50 bucks?
Zack
Yes, the basic principles of internal combustion have not changed, but engines built today have a lot closer tolerances which reduce the wear. Your money and your truck - do what makes you comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts