Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the detailing forum has been pretty dead lately because the weather pretty much blows, even here in Florida. But today, spring has sprung, and it was a beautiful 75 degrees with nothing but sunshine. The wonderful smell of summer was in the air, and it was a perfect day for my first detail of the year.

This is a buddy of mines Tundra, I'm not sure of the year.... but I think its an 04, maybe someone with a keen eye for 1st gens. will chime in. Its been about a year, possibly longer that I last did it for him. I got off kinda easy today and only had to do the exterior, but that still cost me 6 hours. He was planning on taking it to a detail shop to have the interior cleaned and shampooed, which is perfect for me because exterior work is what I love most anyway.

Only got a couple before pics, but you can see it was in pretty rough shape.

Todays detail started with a long, thorough wash, then a clay and rewash, blow dry and then into the garage.

Once in the garage:

1. Einszettes PP (paint polish), orange pad and PC on 5.5

2. Zaino All in One, white pad and PC on 4 (to clean the oils left from PP)

3. Zaino Z6 wipe down

4. Zaino Z5 Pro (new formula), black pad and PC on 4

5. Zaino Z16 (tires)

This is my first bottle of Zaino AIO and I'm loving it..... possibly more than my old stand by Klasse AIO. Its just as easy to work with, if not easier and provides the same great results with a little deeper of a shine than Klasse AIO. And like all things Zaino, a little goes a very long way.

Now for the afters:

One more before, tried to get the same angle for the first after pic.

Thanks for looking, and hope your weather clears up soon as well.

Mark

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Mark, When I can I drop mine off? :D

Looks great

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, come on by.... were practically neighbors.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Wow, looking very wet. That Zaino AIO/Z5 combo looks killer.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it might just be a new favorite combo. First time using ZAIO and I think it just replaced my KAIO.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow.. I just need to email you my truck... after you're done.. then you can email the truck back to me... LOL...

Awesome job as always!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, I think that might exceed my bandwidth limits.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mark or Brandon - question for you both.

Maybe this always answered... but I'm lazy again.... I know, I know... people will tell me to search... blah blah...

I just bought a brand new 2010 Highlander. What's the best method to protect the paint? The dealer tried to sell me the paint protection stuffs... I declined. I did that on my 97 Camry... waste of $$$.

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a search, its been answered. lol, just kiddin.

You were smart not to buy the Teflon paint protection, its garbage and only a way for the dealer to make extra profit on the back end of the deal. For Teflon to properly bong to a metal surface, both properties must be heated to roughly 550-580 degrees, which in turn would cook your interior and melt the paint off of the car. You done good by declining it.

The good news is with all the money you just saved by telling them no, you can now buy yourself a new PC, pads, microfiber towels and a good supply of many different waxes, sealants and polishes....... and still have money left over to take the wife out to dinner.

Start with a wash and clay, then a light polish (depending on how bad the dealer detail was) and then follow with a synthetic sealant. That will give you better results than any Teflon coating ever will.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Nice job on the detailing work. Clean all the way around! :tu:

I love doing detail work as well, especially when you see the results as
before and after.

·
Registered
889 Posts
you can now buy yourself a new PC, pads, microfiber towels and a good supply of many different waxes, sealants and polishes....... and still have money left over to take the wife out to dinner.

Start with a wash and clay, then a light polish (depending on how bad the dealer detail was) and then follow with a synthetic sealant. That will give you better results than any Teflon coating ever will.
This is the first brand new car that I declined all accessories....

I already have the PC, pads and lots of microfiber towels.

What exactly synthetic sealant?

Any recommendation on the waxes and sealants?

I bought a lot of stuffs recommended by you and Brandon in the past.

I'm thinking to get the 3M clear vinyl to protect the bumpers and the hood... before doing any long trip... you did that on you truck, right? If yes, where did you get yours?

The Highlander is for my wife... so far she like it.. because she chose the color she want...

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have the 3M bra on mine, I love it. The front still looks as perfect as the day I bought the truck. I had someone do mine because at the time I didnt know how to do it and was nervous about screwing it up. Once I saw him do it I was kicking myself..... it was so easy. I've done 2 since then on friends trucks and they came out perfect. Look for the kits on ebay, they are much cheaper there.

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to sealants, some of my favorite synthetics are:

Zaino Z2
Zaino Z5
Zaino AIO (cleaner)

Einszettes Glanz Wax

FK1 1000p

Four Star PUPP

Klasse twins (AIO and SG)

hope that helps

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks Mark!

3M bra - does it cover the whole hood? or just half or 1/3 of the hood?
I think you can get them cut to whatever coverage you want. I've seen both full hood sheets and the standard 1/4 hood applied.

Good recommendations on products above, and it sounds like you're on the right road. Just keep in mind that prep work is the key. :tu:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mark!

3M bra - does it cover the whole hood? or just half or 1/3 of the hood?
yeah, mine is about 1/4 of the hood. I'd show you a pic but its pretty invisible so you cant really tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts