Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
How consistent have you guys been able to keep your SG calibrated?
I have had mine for about one year now and am frustrated with the inconsistency.
When i fill up my tank following the procedure SG recommends "not topping off" and enter the information into the fill up section sometimes the "gallons" are really close ranging from spot on to +/- .5 gal and sometimes its off by as much as 3 to 5 gallons. My mgp's readout has remained consistent regardless of how far off the calibration is at fill up 10/14 mpgs. I am aware that there is fine tuning that is associated with calibrating the SG but am not sure how to go about using this feature... since my fillups are sometimes accurate and then other times not even close.
What is going on with this thing?:confused:
My consistency is so bad that the Ultraguage is there only for decoration - and to tell me which trouble code I am throwing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every time I have put gas in a vehicle I own, since I started driving, I have wrote it down in a book I keep in the door. Total $ spent, gallons bought, price per gallon, total miles that tank, total miles on vehicle, store/city octane... do the math, over the many years I have learned a lot. I drive fast, keep high air pressure in tires, use cruise control and never buy cheap gas. I avg 19.1 in my stock 2002 2wd tundra sr5. I got 457 miles last tank with the light being on for about 5 minutes. I fill up till I can see it in the neck or it runs out, lol. I use a manual wheelchair so it saves me trips to the pump. I just drove between Newport, tn to Salem, Va and returned with a power wheelchair in the back at about 80mph average. Had two traffic creep and brake sessions about 15 minutes avg each one. Only got 427 miles on the tank. It has about 252000 miles on it now, I just replaced the old rear end with a used 115000mile one I got off ebay. Presently use Weigels gas 87octane/10% ethanol. Lowest cost around here. Hess gasoline is absolutely the highest quality out there, at least a few years back by my specs anyway.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I've given up on getting good gas mileage in my Tundra, I can average 18mpg per tank and get 21mpg on long high way trips. I pulled the SG2 out and put it in my GTI, I was getting 30.5mpg for a while but recently modified the air box and now I get 32-34mpg depending on the length of the trip. Trying to figure out how to get better mileage out of that car, it's more tricky with the might turbo 1.8 liter.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts