Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I installed my Airaid CAI about an hour ago. Took around 45 minutes, with 35 of those alone. My first impression was DANG this thing is LOUD. Sounds mean as I don't know what! Well on too the road test. Sounds even better when you get on it! I loved the sound around 3k rpm(around there i think). BUT, the thing I noticed, and maybe after a full tank of gas my ECU will get used to it and fix this, but I noticed that no matter how hard i tried, I could NOT get my tires to spin. Before the CAI they would spin every so often in a straight line from a dead stop, and very often when turning. I havent tried to make them spin while making a turn yet so I don't know if it will spin them or not. So far I love it, I don't tow, probably never will in that truck, so the low end torque isn't a necessity for me, so I am not mad about it dropping any. I am 18 now, and like all kids I love the sound and look of things. The only thing I need to decide now is do I get headers? or the Unichip? I know what Gorilla will say :) Graduation money is coming in daily so it looks like one of those will be added this summer! WHY OH WHY CAN I NOT GRADUATE EVERY YEAR!!!!!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Nice azz Tundra for just getting out of high school!!

You probably lost some low end torque but if youre happy w/ the sound thats all that matters. : ) I just put a single in / dual out muffler yesterday and today I could tell I lost a little low end torque, even though I have 20" wheels I could always chirp the tires a little from a dead stop now I cant do that but its still have enough torque for my needs.

But hey congrats on graduating!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RCsTundra: Thanks! I am excited, next i will be going to college to major in Aerospace Engineering. As far as it being a bad azz tundra, thanks! but looks at yours! dang its nice. I love my tundra as I am sure you do too.

Johnny_5: You are correct. Maybe for me this is a good thing. I wont spin as much, therefore less tread wear?? Just a thought lol

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
There is a lot of mixed review on "CAI's", most of them bad. Loss of low end torque is pretty much standard with the install of one. I took mine out after noticing that and a decrease in gas mileage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apimpdad: you are correct. The general consensus about CAI is negative, but I like to learn from my mistakes I suppose. :td: However, I am a teen and I love the sound and look, and I really have no need for low end torque as far as for towing so I am not going to complain about the CAI! Whenever I am older I may end up taking it out like you did though

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Maybe for me this is a good thing. I wont spin as much, therefore less tread wear?? Just a thought lol

Always looking on the bright side, I like that attitude. :D

Aerospace Engineer....dang, get ready for some hard nights studying etc. but end the end itll pay off for you. I wish you luck on everything!! For now have fun partying this summer. :beach: :beer:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Most Tundra's have unintentional acceleration, mine has unintentional burn-outs! I too noticed when I ran a CAI I lost the accidental chirps. I went back to stock for my own reasons, but I agree the sound is awesome with CAI. Made me lose a lot of gas from stomping the gas pedal everywhere I went.
Headers are a good thing to get if you can do the install yourself, paying for install will cost more than it's worth in my opinion. For that much a Unichip may be a simpler solution for you. Glad you are happy with it, and yes, less chirping is good for you.

Big congratulations on graduating, I think that is something people take for granted. Most of my friends never did graduate. Points sent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RCsTundra: Thanks! You are right, it is going to be hard, but in the end it will all pay off! I graduate this next tuesday(weird day I know), and after that I will be working with my dad's company and everytime I do that I just wanna go to college longer and longer haha. By the way, looking on the brightside always makes things better!

tundrunk: Thanks!! Un-intentional burnouts, I like that:tu:. Yeah, the headers may be too big of an install for me to tackle, but it would give me some valuable experience if I did do it, I just need to make sure that I have someone with the knowledge and know how there with me to help guide me. You are correct about less chirping being a good thing!! Also, a lot of people do take graduating for granted, and where I am from, it is a BIG thing. I am only the second person from my family(grandparents and cousins, etc,etc) to have graduated highschool, the other is my brother. So down here it is a big deal!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If you have the chance, GO TO COLLEGE! I dropped out of college to work full time and that career only lasted 7 years and met a dead end. Now I'm starting over, this time in the business world and making a third of what I made before. If I only stayed in college. Oh well, just be sure to do it if you can, it honestly can help if you plan right.

The headers aren't too hard, more time consuming and you just have to follow steps to make it easy. It's a lot of hard to get to nuts and a lot of liquid wrench. For me it was also a lot of beer, but that's just me.

Sorry for the thread jack, continue with the CAI discussion.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Enjoy it now bud! I remember all the graduation money too, I just finished my 2nd year as a Mechanical Engineering major (VERY similar, I'm thinking about taking on Aero as a double major because it's only 1 or 2 extra classes, everything else is the same)...and let me tell you, I don't know where all my money went!! Somehow being in college automatically means your wallet is empty. There is so much I want to do to my Tundra but never have a dime to spend on it, so like I said, enjoy that graduation money and use it wisely!!!

and as RCsTundra said...get ready for some long nights, haha. As I mentioned Mechanical and Aero are extremely similar majors....WOW it's hard. Good luck, study hard, and enjoy it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tundrunk: haha, its fine for getting off topic, doesn't bother me, however the moderator may have a problem with it, so maybe we should get back on topic, but thanks for all the congratulations, I definately wont drop out, my dad would KILL me.

'00tundra: dude, thats awesome! Yeah i heard they are very similar. I am afraid that I am going to end up like that, with no money to spend on my truck. I am lucky enough to have gotten academic scholarships, so I dont have to worry about paying for college thank goodness. So, maybe I can keep adding stuff to it, and make it look as good as yalls rides!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts