Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In january I bought a black regular cab 4x4 manual 4-cylinder Tacoma. I am incredibly happy with it. I must say that one of the first things I did after test driving all of the mid sized trucks is read thru all of their major message boards and I must say I liked this board's atmosphere the best. Needless to say I bought a Tacoma and I am a first time truck owner (well almost first time car owner as well). I live in Boston and ride a motorcycle around all year / all weather but decided it was time to "grow up" and get something a bit safer and more utilitarian. ;)

Anyways GREAT truck but I really want to install fog lights. I noticed there are fog light pockets on the front of the bumper and I would really like to use those for the installation. I have seen postings about installing the actual OEM lights that were made for those pockets, but I want to install after market lights. Basically the OEM ones seem _way_ overpriced for what they deliver ($350!!) . Does anyone have any experience installing after market lights into those pockets or know what size light I would need?

Thanks in advance! :ts:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Congrats on your new truck, and welcome to TS! I have heard the OEM fog lamps are very pricey, as are a lot of Toyota parts... have you thought of trying a junkyard for factory lamps?

·
Registered
19 Posts
several sellers on ebay offer fog lights for our tacomas... afaik from reading on the forums, the ones from blinglights are too small (u have to fabricate some trim around em), a seller by the name of ivm1 has OE lamps for about $160, but no harness/relay/switch included...I'm still looking for one that fits the bill. I gotta go and measure the hole on the truck, heh.
---
update...

ok i got a response back from blinglights irt the fit, they said it should be fine, as the hole is 4 3/8", same as their lamps. they sell for about $70 for the kit. hope this helps ya out!

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you have any further questions, please join Toyota Nation - International Toyota Enthusiast Community. We have a lot more guys and gals that know plenty about our wonderful trucks on there and more traffic.
wow...thats really ****ed up of you...TN is a great forum, but I still call this place home, don't come and try to steal people to other forums, they will find out as time goes by and go where they please, but seriously some people like the smaller environment better...

wow...

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow...thats really ****ed up of you...TN is a great forum, but I still call this place home, don't come and try to steal people to other forums, they will find out as time goes by and go where they please, but seriously some people like the smaller environment better...

wow...
Is getting as much info as possible from as many sources as possible really that bad of an idea...not in my opinion.
Take care

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is getting as much info as possible from as many sources as possible really that bad of an idea...not in my opinion.
Take care
getting more info isn't bad...i read both and another...but i don't go to TN when someones thread doesn't get answered and say you should come to TS cause we have more people are more info than these guys

·
Registered
123 Posts

wow...
How is that ****ed up? I'm not stealing anyone, just suggesting another forum if his answers don't get answered here. And its not like you own the forums and need to keep track of members and posts. I like TS too, I started out here. And I know the difference between the 2. Takes ages to get an answer on here.

norcal5.7 said:
Wow. went on this site and there were 3 viewing the tundra truck section. Do you really have a LOT MORE guys and gals.
I didn't say anything about the Tundra section did I?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked out and ordered the blinglights set. I will post an update when I get them and install. Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the lights in the mail. Will install them this weekend weather permitting (it's raining non-stop here in Boston :mad: ). So far they look okay.

The only complaint I have so far is their website shows pictures of the switch they use that fits nicely into the tacoma dash and it is a generic ugly switch instead. Being a stickler for a clean interior I ordered one of these switches http://4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch40.html and will use that instead of the included switch.

The lights have that silly glowing ring around it that I think _may_ possibly be illegal here in MA so I might even just cut the wire going to the ring so I am never tempted to turn it on while driving. I have been pulled over before for having LEDs on my windshield washer nozzles :):sigh:: the younger me had very bad taste... heh). Does anyone know the legality of the glowing ring?

Since previously on this forum and on other forums there has been a lot of controversy over these lights I will take pictures of the whole process and and post it here.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I don't know about the legality, there are some mass. folks on here who may chime in for ya! Changing out the switch is a great idea. It irks me too when companies do this, I favor as close to the factory look as possible. Post pics of your mod and yeah lets get some sunshine and warm weather back here in the northeast, the sun is out in VT but it feels like its 20 degrees with all the dampness lately. Got some mods and detailing jobs I want to do to my Tacoma as well. This weather bites!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone actually compared the blinglight fog lights to the factory fog lights, for performance?

How hard were they to install, and how easy is it to disable the trim ring light?

Can they accept 100 watt H3 bulbs?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts